Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
1/50, I guess you got 60Hz flicker that is up-scaled with some kind of HF-generator for the lighting. I don't have my camera beside me but if I remember correctly there is some kind of flicker setting, is it set to 60Hz? I get that problem when filming aquariums at around 1/50.
Yes, the Q is set to 60Hz, I'll change it to the other option - 50Hz - and see if that is the issue. Thanks.

11-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Used a faster lens now FA50 1.4 for a faster 1/80 sec shutter speed and the banding is tighter and more pronounced. Again, the banding goes away if I use the open doorway for lighting.
Attached Images

11-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have never seen this until now when I forced it to happen.
I suspect you won't see it in normal shooting, so probably not a big need to change the setting on the camera unless these are the lighting conditions you will be shooting in regularly.

Time to get out of the house and go take some pics

Curious to see how your M and K lenses work with the Q.
11-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I have never seen this until now when I forced it to happen.
I suspect you won't see it in normal shooting, so probably not a big need to change the setting on the camera unless these are the lighting conditions you will be shooting in regularly.

Time to get out of the house and go take some pics

Curious to see how your M and K lenses work with the Q.
Leave it to me to find a problem with a new camera

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to change the hz setting and see if I can reproduce it. The 85/1.4 is a demanding mistress but well worth the effort, so I really want to be able to use it on the Q because a 467.5/f1.4 is just too much lens to pass up

11-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It has more to do with the lighting than the camera. That's why better florescent lighting got two or more lamps in the armatures that are phase shift so that when one is weak the other one is strong and vice versa to give an even light. I know that many armatures for bird keeping are like this because the birds can see flicker better than humans and it may be stressful to them.
11-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
It has more to do with the lighting than the camera. That's why better florescent lighting got two or more lamps in the armatures that are phase shift so that when one is weak the other one is strong and vice versa to give an even light. I know that many armatures for bird keeping are like this because the birds can see flicker better than humans and it may be stressful to them.
Mine was not done under florescent lighting. It was done under tungsten lights.
11-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
This pic it looks kinda semi-glossy inside, but looks like it is sectioned off. Wonder if this is how the production ones will look.
Not sure about the production ones, but the inside of the preproduction model I handled was smooth, but a very matte, and kind of "pebbled" black texture. Not sure if it was globby spray paint or the metal surface...

From experience with a Pentacon 6 (6x6 med. format) to K adapter, I know that shiny metal, even if anodized black, will still cause internal flare (which makes things softer and less contrasty, if not blown out altogether). I spray painted the interior of that adapter with industrial (automotive) matte black paint, and it made a huge difference in image quality!

11-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Not sure about the production ones, but the inside of the preproduction model I handled was smooth, but a very matte, and kind of "pebbled" black texture. Not sure if it was globby spray paint or the metal surface...

From experience with a Pentacon 6 (6x6 med. format) to K adapter, I know that shiny metal, even if anodized black, will still cause internal flare (which makes things softer and less contrasty, if not blown out altogether). I spray painted the interior of that adapter with industrial (automotive) matte black paint, and it made a huge difference in image quality!
Thanks. It is sounding like a trip to Autozone is in the future for me. I appreciate everyone's help on this issue.
11-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Mine was not done under florescent lighting. It was done under tungsten lights.
Ah, that's more weird but I guess the light can pulse there too.
11-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another new member of the Q club (x-posted from Single in November):

Posing with the DA* 200 I am eager to put on it. I'm hoping the Pentax K->Q adapter will be available soon as I don't really want to buy a third-party adapter so soon before the Pentax unit is expected, but I really would like to have one by the end of the month.
11-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Another new member of the Q club (x-posted from Single in November):

Posing with the DA* 200 I am eager to put on it. I'm hoping the Pentax K->Q adapter will be available soon as I don't really want to buy a third-party adapter so soon before the Pentax unit is expected, but I really would like to have one by the end of the month.
Awesome perspective shot! Man, you guys are really working on me with the Q - I just can't justify having 3 cameras........but my FA*300 4.5 would probably look pretty good on the white Q.......

I also agree that "if" I got myself a Q, I think I would want the Pentax adapter also. I guess there is no ETA on it yet however.
11-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #57

Fotodiox K/Q adapter

I received my Fotodiox adapter today, but it was dark outside before I could test it. I took a few shots of it for those inquiring about the inside color/texture. I added a few shots with my 40XS attached. So far, I've noticed that the aperture ring is very stiff, so I hope that loosens up with use. One strange thing is that with focus peaking enabled and lens wide open, I did not see the outlining to help focus, and worse, the camera is not giving me the 4X magnification that I definitely need. It works fine with the 01 prime lens. I tried the 18-55 as well and no magnification. Anyone else seeing that behavior?
Attached Images

11-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The electronic shutter does not work with flourescent lighting. It is scanning a line at a time and the light is flickering. Tungsten lights are a little more surprising. Know from my hifi hobby that tungsten lights add noise to an electrical circuit. Though flourescent is much worse. Possible that other lights flicker too. Another reason for the Pentax adapter with shutter.

Baro-nite, can't wait to see how the DA*200 does on the Q. Have been wondering about that lens for a long time. Love to know i it is as ca free as the 300. You will love the Q.

Stormtech, think of it as a new precision rear lens cap rather than another camera. Lol.

thanks
barondla
11-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #59
Pentaxian

This:

After all these threads showing DA*300/4's with Qs hanging off the back, you win the prize for "most comically small adapted lens on the Q"

As far as the questions - I'm still waiting for my Q to arrive (mainly thanks to this forum, these threads, and the focus peaking!).
11-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Also looking forward to the eventual release of the official Pentax adapter. Hopefully by then I will have a couple nice K mount lenses to use.