Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Stormtech, think of it as a new precision rear lens cap rather than another camera. Lol.
It has stuck in my mind the last time you recommend me getting a Q when you said to just think of it as an awesome TC - now that the price is where it is that is actually a viable argument - plus the Q would be so much more than any TC.

White or black.....black or white....to go with the FA*300......

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 01:51 AM.
11-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
White or black.....black or white....to go with the FA*300......
Black, definitely. That's not a white lens...
11-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #63

I got a white Q for a while, then i thought it looks too soft/cute/girly and the color would not match well with future lens i might buy... so I switched to a black Q. When my wife got to know abt this, she mad at me for a whole day though
11-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Whether white or black, it's still a Q. Definitely something intangible about the fun factor.

11-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Posing with the DA* 200
Yes I am waiting to hear as well your results with this combo.
11-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brazeal Quote
the camera is not giving me the 4X magnification that I definitely need.
You need to hit the OK button to flip on the 4x with an adapted lens.

As far as peaking, if you are not seeing the little snow all over the screen then it is not enabled. Try it on some contrasty objects first such as a candlestick on a dark table, or a dark bottle on a light table. Move the ring slowly and note the edge of the object where it brightens as you pass through the focus point. Works a treat once you get used to it.

On this shot, the dull reflection you see inside is what caused problems on some of my lenses and required painting the inside with flat black spray.
11-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Whether white or black, it's still a Q. Definitely something intangible about the fun factor.
Truer words can not be found on this forum! The Q is easily the most fun I've ever had with a camera. The way I feel with this camera is very similar to how I felt back when I was learning photography in High School except without all the limitations of film and the dark room.

11-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
After all these threads showing DA*300/4's with Qs hanging off the back, you win the prize for "most comically small adapted lens on the Q"
Agreed. Pretty short for a 220mm.
11-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Black, definitely. That's not a white lens...
I agree now that I look at my posted photo. Actually the black will match the focus ring and hood rim.
11-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually the black will match the focus ring and hood rim
And the Pentax adapter only comes in black. (So what's it gonna take to push you off the fence Stan )
11-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Sorry to stomp on your thread here Doc, but you guys have me near the edge now......with a question.

I am finding the availability now to be pretty much $347 for the kit with either the 01 prime (8.5mm f1.9) or the 02 zoom (5-15mm f2.8-4.5). Now I am normally a zoom guy, and first reflex is to go with the 02 zoom, but with this small sensor camera, I don't know how much of a beating the images would take with the much slower zoom lens. I am continuing my search here for images and feedback on the 02 zoom. I will of course be using it with some of my long K-mount glass, but I still would want to use it at times as a pocket camera.

Being the kits are the same price it almost seems the 02 zoom kit might be the better overall deal?
11-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Being the kits are the same price it almost seems the 02 zoom kit might be the better overall deal?
Under normal circumstances I would agree, but I believe that the 01 Prime cannot be bought on its own at least right now, and it is definitely one you will want to have.

Seems that the 02 zoom is easier to find on its own, and some even sell theirs in the marketplace from time to time (one there now for a very good price IMO.)

Things could change at any time I guess. Personally I use the 02 zoom as much as the 01 prime, when not using adapted lenses on the Q.
11-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info Larry - and to answer your other question about being on the fence....

I've started an affair of sorts with Fujifilm in the past few months getting an X10 and now the X-S1. This leaves me torn as I can't afford or want to deal with a 3rd system. There are lots of pros and cons to go either way. This is why I haven't jumped into Q land yet. The recent pricing drop plus the great new firmware has brought my attention back to the Q for sure, but Fuji land has been a great ride for me so far.
11-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't barely used the zoom and not even updated it yet as the prime is too fun to take it of.
I just wish that the normal zoom would have been 2.8 to use it in low light, like the upcoming tele.
11-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

to answer your other question about being on the fence....
Understandable. I've pretty much been able to stay away from any other cams, keeping pretty busy with the K-5, but had considered the Q for a while and when the prices started getting attractive it was an easy choice.

Not sure I would be here if I had invested in others myself, as time for shooting is pretty hard to find as it is. Gotta tell you though, I am *really* having fun with this Q, specially on the back end of the K mount Teles.

I had tried other ways of stretching the mm's on the cheap (fairly) and none made me happy. Was thinking I was going to have to splurge for a Sigma 500 4.5, but with the Q and my 300 and 70-200 I really am not interested in doing that anymore. For my type of long shooting, anyway, I think I am good for now.

If my situation changes or someday if I retire and have all the time in the world to shoot wildlife, I would rethink things.