Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where can I get V1.01 firmware?

I've seen some people saying that they are going back and forth between v1.01 and v1.10 of the Q firmware because the v1.01 is sharper but v1.10 has focus peaking and other upgrades. I have downloaded v1.10 from the Pentax Japan website, but where can I get a copy of the v1.01 if I decide I want the sharpness associated with that version?

11-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think they take older versions down- you'll have to see if anyone else can attach it for download or e-mail it to you.

In any case, I don't think your camera will let you downgrade, and I don't think anyone has *actually* confirmed that the older firmware was sharper (if anything, Pentax may have changed some custom image defaults).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-10-2012, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #3
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, you can revert back to 1.01 from 1.10 - and it is available for download. Here is a link to version 1.01... Pentax Q Firmware Update v1.01 Released - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Do your own tests. Compare raw and jpegs at a variety of ISOs and draw your own conclusions.
11-11-2012, 12:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Yes, you can revert back to 1.01 from 1.10 - and it is available for download. Here is a link to version 1.01... Pentax Q Firmware Update v1.01 Released - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Do your own tests. Compare raw and jpegs at a variety of ISOs and draw your own conclusions.
Thanks for the assist!

11-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anyone really find out that the images are sharper with the previous firmware (1.01) vs. the new v. 1.10 ?

I'd rather not update if that really shows a big difference in sharpness.

Thanks. JP
11-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi JP,

The idea probably comes from this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/203563-firmware-1-1-undocumented-changes.html

Personally, I don't doubt that there might be some differences, but for my purposes, they really aren't significant enough to matter to me. If the tradeoff is Focus Peaking, an increase in low light AF sensitivity, SR with adapted lenses, and slightly better external flash reliability with adapted lenses against a barely noticeable degradation of IQ, then I'll gladly take the advantages of the new FW and not look back. The Peaking and SR with adapted lenses will get me considerably closer to where I want to be with the Q for most of my purposes. In any case, I can revert to the previous v 1.01 any time I want if it will make a difference.

Scott
11-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi JP,

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/203563-firmware-1-1-undocumented-changes.html

Personally, I don't doubt that there might be some differences, but for my purposes, they really aren't significant enough to matter to me. If the tradeoff is Focus Peaking, an increase in low light AF sensitivity, SR with adapted lenses, and slightly better external flash reliability with adapted lenses against a barely noticeable degradation of IQ, then I'll gladly take the advantages of the new FW and not look back. The Peaking and SR with adapted lenses will get me considerably closer to where I want to be with the Q for most of my purposes. In any case, I can revert to the previous v 1.01 any time I want if it will make a difference.

Scott
A bit late replying to your post:

I just updated the firmware for both the 01 and 02 lenses, as well as for the Q with v. 1.01.
I am going to update with V. 1.10 for the Q now.
I gather that if I ever want to "revert" back to the 1.01 for the Q, I just "re-update" using the same "BIN" file?

Thanks,

JP

11-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I gather that if I ever want to "revert" back to the 1.01 for the Q, I just "re-update" using the same "BIN" file?
That is correct.
11-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
That is correct.
Good thing then, just in case, I have saved that file.

Thanks!
11-26-2012, 04:57 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi JP,

Scott
I wouldn't say reduction in IQ is barely noticeable, but I agree with your sentiment; for me, the AF speed is so much better I've stuck with the new FW and started to process RAWs when I really want detail out of an image.