Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Incompetent user of the Q needs help : focus selection.

I never thought I'd come here and ask questions on how to handle this Q focus thing but there it is:

I have started to use this Q since this morning and in order to get acquainted with it, I simply set it to "All auto" (green mode !!! ) first and then to Av.

The pics so far are great with the 01 prime lens.

I am having an issue of some sort when I focus: I press the shutter release button half way and expecting to see the small green square appear in the CENTRE of the monitor, but it seems to not want to do that: one half-press it goes to the bottoms centre, one more half-press and it goes to the right, then to the left .... !!! It occasionally shows the little green square right dead centre, but not too often.

How in the world can you have this square thing dead on centre? This is where I want it, not all over the place!

Here are the present settings:

Av mode
Autofocus select = AF Select (25 points)
AE metering at the "green" icon (Menu - Item 1 - "AE Metering")

I know this is me causing this behavior and I just would like to know how this really works. And yes, I have been reading the manual about: "setting the autofocus method" (pp. 87-88).

JP

11-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Autofocus select = AF Select (25 points)
Ding, ding, ding! Your answer is right there. In auto mode, you're letting the camera decide the focus point. Set it to center only, or 1 point (sorry, I'm still waiting for my Q to arrive, so I don't know the proper terminology).

Last edited by panoguy; 11-10-2012 at 07:55 PM.
11-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Ding, ding, ding! Your answer is right there. In auto mode, you're letting the camera decide the focus point. Set it to center only, or 1 point (sorry, I'm still waiting for my Q to arrive, so I don't know the proper terminology).
Total embarassment !!

That was it indeed ....

I can manage with a K20D, K7, or a K5 and I am having "issues" with this very little (tiny) camera. Really !!

Thanks a bunch ... I'll try not to ask more of those stupid questions in the future.

Cheers!

JP
11-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I can manage with a K20D, K7, or a K5 and I am having "issues" with this very little (tiny) camera. Really !!
[dismissive wave] Must be the size of the buttons...

11-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Hi Jp,

There is another option if you want a larger center focus area. Choose Auto (25 pt) mode, press the OK button so the AF rectangle on the LCD goes green, then rotate the e-dial to change the size and shape of the AF area. You can get it so the AF sensor area is a relatively large (compared to single point) 3:2 area in the center of the LCD, and it will stay in the center unless you press the OK button and manually move it with the 4 way controller.

Scott
11-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Jp,

There is another option if you want a larger center focus area. Choose Auto (25 pt) mode, press the OK button so the AF rectangle on the LCD goes green, then rotate the e-dial to change the size and shape of the AF area. You can get it so the AF sensor area is a relatively large (compared to single point) 3:2 area in the center of the LCD, and it will stay in the center unless you press the OK button and manually move it with the 4 way controller.

Scott
Thanks Scott.

I did try that and it worked only for a couple of shutter button pushes, then it (the green square) started to "jump" again.
So, I reverted to the small "point" and that takes care of business, although this is not what I wanted.

JP
11-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When using spot/single-point, you get just one rather small area. You can move it by hitting OK + 4-way d-pad. You can re-center it with OK button once in this mode. I don't believe the e-dial has any effect.

When using 25-point, you can restrict it to just one point by using e-dial to shrink down to one of the 25 squares. Similar to spot, you can then move it around and press OK again to reset to center. If (in 25-point) you have the active AF area larger than one box, the camera will pick from among the points you have active. The e-dial cycles among different sizes & shapes of active areas -- can be shaped as ---, +, | or larger boxes, etc.

This is probably my favorite mode (AF area set to just one box), as the spot is a little slow to move around (no touch screen), but can pick from among 25 points relatively quickly, and when in center is pretty close in operation to the spot mode.

Face-detect works nicely when you have human subjects looking toward camera -- for example if you hand the camera to someone else to take you -- but works relatively poorly for non-human subjects as it reverts to full auto/all points mode. That mode isn't too bad if subject is further from the camera where depth-of-field on the Q is huge but doesn't work well for closer subjects where focus actually still matters.
11-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
When using spot/single-point, you get just one rather small area. You can move it by hitting OK + 4-way d-pad. You can re-center it with OK button once in this mode. I don't believe the e-dial has any effect.
Seems like this does not work for me. Once I choose "one-point" focusing, it just stays that way .... no way to move it around: it just stays at centre. It is fine though.
When using 25-point, you can restrict it to just one point by using e-dial to shrink down to one of the 25 squares. Similar to spot, you can then move it around and press OK again to reset to center. If (in 25-point) you have the active AF area larger than one box, the camera will pick from among the points you have active. The e-dial cycles among different sizes & shapes of active areas -- can be shaped as ---, +, | or larger boxes, etc.
OK, I trie that way and indeed that works very well. I just choose a point where I want it and can move it around at wish.
Does it behave the same way as the "one-point" focus option? I would assume it would.

This is probably my favorite mode (AF area set to just one box), as the spot is a little slow to move around (no touch screen), but can pick from among 25 points relatively quickly, and when in center is pretty close in operation to the spot mode.

Face-detect works nicely when you have human subjects looking toward camera -- for example if you hand the camera to someone else to take you -- but works relatively poorly for non-human subjects as it reverts to full auto/all points mode. That mode isn't too bad if subject is further from the camera where depth-of-field on the Q is huge but doesn't work well for closer subjects where focus actually still matters.
I have not tried this yet, for lack of willing human subjects!
Thanks for the info, very useful.

JP