Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stuff I'd like to see in Q firmvare 1.11

Ok - so we got the SR and focus peaking in 1.10, but wer'e not finished:

A) I would really, really like to be able to switch the noise reduction OFF !
B) Then I would like to have the ISO-values pushed to (at least) 25600...

Any other thoughts?

Thanks/Erik

11-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think A is possible as a choice. Not sure if B is possible with the hardware involved.
11-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
Riv

Photos: Albums
A I agree with, B I'm not sure there's any value to it, would it even be usable?

I would like the option putting your name in the exif info. I'd also like to see the options expanded for the quick dial on the front. There was something else but it evades me at the moment

Last edited by Riv; 11-12-2012 at 08:12 AM.
11-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I agree with A. I don't care for B (I'm not against it, just indifferent).

I would add:

C: An option to have the LCD reflect estimated exposure in manual mode (the image gets dark if underexposed...) This option is turned off automatically during manual focus.
D: Allow the press of the info button during image capture to turn on and off the display of over/under exposure. It is a bit bothersome to have it on all the time, but there are too many button presses to turn it on and off.

11-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #5

1) allow sr to be activated on half shutter press. the current option of having it active all the time seems like a waste of battery power. This could also reduce shutter lag when SR is ON.
2) increase the available focus assist magnification
3) allow the focus assist magnification to stay active with half a shutter press (so it can work with #1)
4) Implement Ricoh's "Snap Focus" functionality (zone focusing)
5) Fix the bug in 1.1 that does not allow Sharpness and Fine Sharpness to be adjusted independently.
6) Fix the lockup bug on startup in 1.11 that seems to be related to swapping between native and adapted lenses with the camera off.
7) Allow focus peaking to use another color. The white highlights are hard to see on the LCD in bright sun.
8) Allow something like the Olympus "MySets" and let them be tied to the front dial.
9) Tie the adapted lens focal length to a quick access button (or the front dial)

Shawn
11-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erich_H Quote
Ok - so we got the SR and focus peaking in 1.10, but wer'e not finished:
Hi Erich,

I doubt that concerning any camera, any brand, on any photo forum, that members will ever be finished when it comes to features wanted. . .

QuoteQuote:
A) I would really, really like to be able to switch the noise reduction OFF !
B) Then I would like to have the ISO-values pushed to (at least) 25600...
[COLOR=red]
I'll go along with A -- I was disappointed ut was not offered to start with, but have learned to live with "low" high ISO NR in the Q.

I doubt if ISO 25600 would be anything I'd use. I pretty much limit my Q to 3200, and feel pretty good about being able to take it that far. With my K-5, I normally limit ISO to 10,000, and that's pretty far past what most consider usable with that sensor. Going further than what seems to be industry conventions for limits to available high ISO IQ would probably be perceived as pandering or a marketing ploy IMO, and be counter productive. Since I've been using digital cameras (over 12 years now) I've been able to pretty much count on Pentax limiting the highest ISO available in a given model to somewhere close to 1 stop past what I consider actually usable. If they made this a free for all, I would find this disturbing.

QuoteQuote:
Any other thoughts?
I'll continue to petition for better external flash compatibility. FW v1.10 has not addressed incompatibility issues with external manual flash and adapted lenses (they will not fire, regardless of flash settings) This hurts the perception of the Q as a high-end camera since this is just providing industry standard compatibility for any camera with a flash shoe. I'm not pushing the Q as a studio camera, but there's a lot to recommend being able to use the Q with adapted lenses and remote flashes triggered by a radio trigger (which obviously would be triggered by the same signal to the hotshoe as would trigger a manual flash). Currently, a manual external flash can be triggered with Q system lenses by turning flash "off" in the flash menu. Making this available with adapted lenses should not be a difficult fix.

I think that allowing manual focus assist (2x or 4x magnification) by user choice to not be disabled by a half press of the shutter would be nice.

It would be convenient to be able to switch the LCD Live View off if the user chooses. The Live View can be turned off now, but it takes 2 presses of the Info button, and this has to be repeated if the camera goes to sleep or is turned off.

I like being able to enter copyright info into the exif

I think that adding more programmability of the quick dial is a great idea.

If it's possible with CD focusing, I'd like to see Focus Trap (Catch-In-Focus) implemented in the Q. If Focus Confirmation in AF can trigger a "beep", then it could also trigger the shutter, I would think.

All that being said, I'd like to thank Pentax/Ricoh for the very nice additions we have gotten in FW 1.10. . . I'm very pleased

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; 11-12-2012 at 10:33 AM.
11-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #7

Most definitely would like to have the ability to turn off noise reduction. I think this choice should be left up to the operator of the camera, not the firmware.
11-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The only option is for "High-ISO NR", although I don't think the manual states where "high iso" begins. Is there in fact any NR applied at low ISO settings?

11-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote

9) Tie the adapted lens focal length to a quick access button (or the front dial)
Hi Shawn,

I was going to suggest something like this, but there's a pretty quick work around.

Make sure that the camera is set to return to the last menu page. Choose the 3rd Tab in the "Record" menu (where SR FL entry is the last).

Preset the FLs that you want, so they are available in the column to the left of the screen.

All you need to do is press the "Menu" button, "Up" button, rotate the e-dial to select a FL, and "OK", and you're set.

Definitely more to do than just rotate the quick select dial, but it's convenient enough for me when working with zooms.

Scott
11-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For me the most important thing is definitely using the quick dial for full user modes.

I'd also like exposure preview in manual mode and longer shutter times with adapted lenses.

Edit: And leaving the focus alone when power cycling! (I have already had night shots out of focus (impossible to tell on the LCD) because the darn thing moves focus when power cycled.)

Last edited by drougge; 11-12-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: More
11-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I agree the quick dial could be much more useful if it supported all settings for user modes, that way we could use User 1 for Q lenses AF SR during shot only focus peaking off etc... and User 2 for MF lenses, SR always on, Focus peaking on etc...

Hans
11-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote

Edit: And leaving the focus alone when power cycling! (I have already had night shots out of focus (impossible to tell on the LCD) because the darn thing moves focus when power cycled.)
Hi drougge,

If you're talking about Q system lenses here, there is a memory setting that allows the camera to remember the previous focus setting of the lens after a power-down.

Scott
11-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
If you're talking about Q system lenses here, there is a memory setting that allows the camera to remember the previous focus setting of the lens after a power-down.
Ooh, you're right! Thanks. (I thought that was about AF point position.)