Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Mine 02 isn't like that at all. It's pretty sharp at all focal lengths.
Same here. Some have reported that the 02 is softer at the long end, though. That would explain the results of the initial test. The 02 works out fine for me as an everyday lens & I use it a lot.

10-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You might not have a particularly good copy. Mine does pretty well. My first 06 was terrible wide open at the long end, and only performed well stopped down to f/8.0. Its replacement is brilliant from the get-go, so there is quite a bit of variation.

02 @ 15mm on the Q7. Feel free to look at the 2048 image on flickr.
Thanks for the feedback, Sandy, and for the sample. Your bee is looking pretty sharp. My copy is.....*OK* at the short end; but it doesn't look so hot at the long end. I hope this is indicative of a bad copy, because I'm bugged by the prospect of my planned walkaround lens being outperformed by my 3 year old pocket cam. If I could be reasonably certain the 01 would do better, I'd be perfectly OK with picking one up.

Let's see if I can post some 100% crops:

S95 @ 15mm:

Q7 @ 13.6mm (manually focused; better results than autofocus:

S95 @ 6mm:

Q7 @ 6.2mm:

10-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Quick question. If there is a sample variation in the 02 lens, how does one go about it asking for an exchange when the seller/shop/Pentax store will invariably say that the variation is within lens design tolerances?
I'm with you! In my case, I ordered from the Pentax Webstore, and it's a kit. Not only would it seem a shame to send the whole kit back, it would be a total roll of the dice as to whether the next would be better. Ugh!
10-31-2013, 02:21 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've done several tests comparing my 01 and 02 lenses using the sample cards that Amateur Photographer mag gave away. I find my 02 is as sharp as the 01 as long as it is stopped down to f4. So with the 28mm wide end, which I like to use for most shots, I keep it on the camera most of the time. Now where is that wide prime that Ricoh have promised....

10-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had two 01 and two 01 lenses, and had two 01s and a 02 at same time for a week. I did a test on Q, and found the lens sample variation of two 01s was very minimum in my case.
However, I found a very interestingly thing: the 02 I tested side-by-side with 2 01s was sharper, slightly sharper in the center at same aperture, and noticeably sharper in the comers! I was shocked and repeated at different focus distance, (2ft and ~8 ft), same result. Maybe that 02 is a super copy due to copy variation.
And I sold both, and use 06 only at this moment. I am hoping pentax will release a updated wide zoom, and a better prime soon. I think they should. Comparing with 06, both 01 and 02 need updating!
10-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by theoldsmithy Quote
I've done several tests comparing my 01 and 02 lenses using the sample cards that Amateur Photographer mag gave away. I find my 02 is as sharp as the 01 as long as it is stopped down to f4. So with the 28mm wide end, which I like to use for most shots, I keep it on the camera most of the time. Now where is that wide prime that Ricoh have promised....
I hear you on that wide prime, smithy. Checking my last vacation shots, most of them were at the 28mm equivalent end of the S95. With a sharp, snappy wide-angle prime, I could likely travel with it, the 06, and the fisheye for funsies.

For now, though, I'm wondering (rhetorically): is my 02 as sharp as it gets at the wide end? It's quite possible that none of them are as sharp as the S95 above. I just don't have a good way of knowing that...
10-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have used three different copies of the 06. It is a fine lens. In my experience, the 01 has the best optical quality of ANY Pentax Q lens. Only flaws I have found are field curvature, lack of super close focusing, and not liking to be closed down past f4. The 01 is a honey of a lens and I would never want to be without it.
thanks
barondla
11-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree 01 is probably the best only one lens solution for Q if bring Q as only camera.
But Q+01 just makes the combo an useful camera kit, but not that unique. A good DC can be as compact, or more compact, and has similar function. And at wide end, there are so many elements included in the picture, small sensor camera doesn't shine. I think a small sensor interchangeable lens system makes a fast tele lens much easier and smaller, makes it different form other camera.
I wil try bring the Q+06 to games, such as NBA. I was not able to bring a lens that looks long and professional with me. Maybe they will ingot the small Q+06.