Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yet more questions about the Q firmware updates.

Well folks, as usual I am always never sure how to proceed with such apparently simple things as "firmware updates" (but I finally can update my K5 and K7 now).
This time it is with the Q.

My own Q shows this:

Firmware Version Info
Camera
Ver: 1.00

Lens
01 standard rpime
Ver: 1.00

I know, this is the original firmware and I have just received the Q late last week ... no time to update anything up to now.

When I go to the Pentax site, it shows "choices" and this is confusing me a bit.
Seems like there are several updates to be done, not just one single instance such as when you update for the K5.

There is an instruction I found here: Pentax Q Firmware Update v1.01 Released - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
(I will do the v.1.01 first, before I decide to update to the next version (1.10) as it seems to have caused sharpness issues)
but I find this part confusing:
•Copy the FWDC601P.BIN file to the root of the SD card
•Download and copy the 01 lens firmware and/or 02 lens firmware to your SD card

Do I need to download one firmware for the Q then one more firmware for the lens (lenses -- I have the 01 and 02); then copy all 3 firmwares to the SD card?

I apologize for being such a PITA but these things never quite agree with me ... or is it the other way around?

Thanks for anyone brave enough to help!

JP

11-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Do I need to download one firmware for the Q then one more firmware for the lens (lenses -- I have the 01 and 02); then copy all 3 firmwares to the SD card?
Yes, because the lens firmware is separate.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, because the lens firmware is separate.
Thanks for coming to the rescue, Adam.

So, I will have 3 "BIN" files on the SD card once I am ready to to the update?

JP

Edit: I now have these files saved on the computer:

FWDC601P.BIN 15105 KB
fwlq101.bin 257 KB
fwlq102.bin 257 KB

Last edited by jpzk; 11-12-2012 at 06:52 PM.
11-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes, you will have 3 BIN files. You will get asked which you want to upgrade. It's a pretty quick process.

11-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Yes, you will have 3 BIN files. You will get asked which you want to upgrade. It's a pretty quick process.
Thanks !

I would then assume that it will allow me to install all three ?

JP
11-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Thanks !

I would then assume that it will allow me to install all three ?

JP
I only did the v1.10 and Lens 01 but it let me select each seqentially.
11-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jpzk, I understand your pain. When I did the updates I put them on 3 seperate SD cards. Apparently that wasn't needed but I wasn't taking any chances. Think the Q is easier to update than the older Pentax cameras. Good job Ricoh.
thanks
barondla

11-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I only did the v1.10 and Lens 01 but it let me select each seqentially.
That would make sense.

Thanks.

JP
11-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
jpzk, I understand your pain. When I did the updates I put them on 3 seperate SD cards. Apparently that wasn't needed but I wasn't taking any chances. Think the Q is easier to update than the older Pentax cameras. Good job Ricoh.
thanks
barondla
I am running low on SD cards ...

I think I will go ahead with all three updates on that one single card and pray!

Thanks!

Jp
11-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jpzk, not saying I would use 3 SD cards now. Others have had great results combining them on one card. I just didn't know that at the time. Lol.
thanks
barondla
11-13-2012, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #11

Why have to pray while you can put the firmware file on SD card, update the Q 1st, then format the card, put the lens firmware file on SD card, update lens firmware. That way you wouldn't have to worry about anything
11-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyuuan Quote
Why have to pray while you can put the firmware file on SD card, update the Q 1st, then format the card, put the lens firmware file on SD card, update lens firmware. That way you wouldn't have to worry about anything
Why didn't I think of that !?

Thanks!

JP
11-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kyuuan Quote
I'd go with this method. I put both firmwares on the same card, and after updating the body and resetting all my settings, I went back into the Firmware Update screen and selected to update the lens without ever taking the SD card out (only restarting after the "[COMPLETE]" then shutdown).

Updated the lens firmware (it saw the correct .bin file), but then never got a [COMPLETE], just a very quick shutdown.... aaaand lost all my camera body settings again! Oh well, at leas the menus are very similar to the K-5!
11-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I'd go with this method. I put both firmwares on the same card, and after updating the body and resetting all my settings, I went back into the Firmware Update screen and selected to update the lens without ever taking the SD card out (only restarting after the "[COMPLETE]" then shutdown).

Updated the lens firmware (it saw the correct .bin file), but then never got a [COMPLETE], just a very quick shutdown.... aaaand lost all my camera body settings again! Oh well, at leas the menus are very similar to the K-5!
I had the same experience, except there was nothing on the card except the lens firmware. So I think it just likes to reset your settings.
11-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
I had the same experience, except there was nothing on the card except the lens firmware. So I think it just likes to reset your settings.
Quite helpful. Good thing this is likely to be the last firmware update for the original Q.

BTW, drougge, I'm still in your debt for the secret to Exposure Bracketing with only Tv shift. That has made my HDRs much, much easier and faster!