Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
the secret to Exposure Bracketing with only Tv shift.
I missed this. What is the secret?
thanks
barondla

11-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had no trouble upgrading to the 1.1 for the Q itself, but can't get my Q to notice that there is also an upgrade for the 01. Any tips? Thanks
11-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
I've had no trouble upgrading to the 1.1 for the Q itself, but can't get my Q to notice that there is also an upgrade for the 01. Any tips? Thanks
Did you put the 01 BIN file on the SD card and insert it into the camera without other files on the SD card? Mine went without a hitch and it asked me if I wanted to replace 1.0 with 1.1 with a menu process, which was new as that is not what happens with the K series cameras.
11-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Did you put the 01 BIN file on the SD card and insert it into the camera without other files on the SD card? Mine went without a hitch and it asked me if I wanted to replace 1.0 with 1.1 with a menu process, which was new as that is not what happens with the K series cameras.
Thanks! I think I did, but I'll have another go. I like the menu update process too. Here's another question for Q experts. There is a picture of lens hood for the 01 in the brochure that accompanied my version of the lens. The hood is described as optional. Does that mean it's to be purchased separately or that you can choose to put it on the lens or not? My 01 came without one

11-15-2012, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I missed this. What is the secret?
thanks
barondla
It's for the K-series DSLRs. If you activate Auto Exposure Bracketing in M Mode, by default the camera will change the aperture to get each exposure step, but I wanted it to change the shutter speed (and this was for multi-directional panoramas, so using Av mode would have screwed things up with metering).

Many years ago drougge pointed out that changing the Green Button function in M mode to be Tv shift (instead of the default Program Line) also changes how the AEB works in that mode. Very strange that they are connected, but that's the secret sauce to HDR panos with Pentax.
11-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Thanks! I think I did, but I'll have another go. I like the menu update process too. Here's another question for Q experts. There is a picture of lens hood for the 01 in the brochure that accompanied my version of the lens. The hood is described as optional. Does that mean it's to be purchased separately or that you can choose to put it on the lens or not? My 01 came without one
The genuine MH-RA40.5 is the Pentax branded hood and it goes for $40 The LH-RA40.5 from JJC fits and looks the same (silver metal) and is $12 at Amazon. Guess which one adorns my 01 lens? See my review of it here:
JJC LH-RA40.5 Hood reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
11-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The genuine MH-RA40.5 is the Pentax branded hood and it goes for $40 The LH-RA40.5 from JJC fits and looks the same (silver metal) and is $12 at Amazon. Guess which one adorns my 01 lens? See my review of it here:
JJC LH-RA40.5 Hood reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Many thanks, once more. I'll be getting the JJC!

11-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyuuan Quote
Why have to pray while you can put the firmware file on SD card, update the Q 1st, then format the card, put the lens firmware file on SD card, update lens firmware. That way you wouldn't have to worry about anything
Note that to update the firmware for the 01 lens you have to have the 01 lens fitted to the camera, the same for the 02 lens, the firmware chip for the lens is in the lens, that's how the camera recognises which lens is fitted, the data for the lenses is not held in the cameras firmware chip.

Chris
11-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
Note that to update the firmware for the 01 lens you have to have the 01 lens fitted to the camera, the same for the 02 lens, the firmware chip for the lens is in the lens, that's how the camera recognises which lens is fitted, the data for the lenses is not held in the cameras firmware chip.

Chris
Good thing you came in to explain this as I was just about ready to gof it off, as usual.

Thanks ! Much appreciated.

JP
11-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The firmware update 1.1 for the Q comes in both Mac & PC versions; 1.01 for for the lens doesn't . I've a Mac. Once I borrowed a friend's PC to download the 1.01 for the 01 lens, everything worked like a charm.
11-21-2012, 02:34 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I downloaded it it was the bare file, downloadable on anything. (For possible clarity: The file I downloaded went directly on the SD card, no specific software required. I could have done it on a phone, or a Mac, or whatever.)
11-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, I did my updates in the wrong order. I did the Q 1.10 update first, then the lens updates. Need to do the Q 1.10 update after the 1.01 lens update to get shake reduction (including on adapted lenses). Working now.
11-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
OK, I did my updates in the wrong order. I did the Q 1.10 update first, then the lens updates. Need to do the Q 1.10 update after the 1.01 lens update to get shake reduction (including on adapted lenses). Working now.
Alright ... now in what order is this to be done then?
I am seeing all kinds of ways to do it from what I read above in the previous posts.

So, this way?

1. 01 lens - mount on camera then update
2. 02 lens - mount on camera then update
3. Q update w/ firmware 1.10

I have not yet updated the firmware, so this is a good time to ask.
Why is any order of updating important?

JP
11-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yet more questions about the firmware update:

My Q is et to shut itself after 1 minute with no activity ... if the update takes more than one minute, will the camera shut off anyway even if there is "work" being done in the background?
Crazy question ... just want to know.

JP
11-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Update shouldn't take that long, and I'd like to think the camera is smart enough not to shut itself off anyway. As an example, when I loaded in the 1.01 update, the camera told me I had to recharge the battery first because there wasn't enough power.

My order was: 1.10 update (several days ago). Then tonight I did the 01 and 02 updates (appropriate lens mounted each time). Then I discovered SR was disabled. I re-did the 1.10 update and now all seems fine.