Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2012, 09:36 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Pentax Q>PK adapter arrives! Mini review.

Picked the adapter up from my B&M camera store this afternoon. At work only had a little time to try it out. It is very well made.

CONSTRUCTION

All metal body and lens mounts. The interior has different size steps and everything is painted flat black to reduce reflections. The aperture adjustment ring activates a pivoting mechanism allowing much finer adjustment than other adapter's straight lever. There are no click stops to hamper adjustment. The ring stays where ever it is placed. The Q mount has electrical contacts while the PK has none. The 5 sided leaf shutter is tucked inside the rear 1/3 of the adapter. The adapter does not ship with a tripod foot, but will accept the one from the DA*300. A classy product that matches the build quality of the Q.

TELEPHOTO

Didn't have all my equipment at work and it was getting dark quick. I find it difficult to manually focus any long lens hand held without a tripod foot to rest in my hand. All of the weight of the lens/camera rests on the focusing ring and slows down focusing. Later I added the foot from the 300 and everything was fine. Will have to order another tripod foot and leave it on the adapter.

The leaf shutter worked flawlessly. None of my images showed the jello effect. It makes a slight clicking sound when firing. Will test teles out more when there is light to work with.

FLASH

The builtin flash works fine up to 1/1000 second. The exposures were accurate and the flash fired every time. Also used the +- flash exposure compensation and it worked like expected.

MACRO FLASH

With the Pentax DFA100 macro, the builtin flash was a decent performer. Quickly moved to the Pentax AF540 flash. This will sync up to 1/250. The exposures were more accurate than my K-7 DSLR. High speed flash sync with a leaf shutter is a blessing. Even tried a shot with Pentax off camera cord backlighting a leaf. Excellent results. The Pentax adapter is going to make macro flash so much easier than before.

MOVIES

The leaf shutter stays closed when off the camera. Wondered if the adapter/Q knew to open shutter and keep it open when making movies? Not to worry it works fine.

IN USE

The leaf shutter sits about 1/3 of the way in from the rear of the adapter. There is no protective glass on either side to protect it. Use the supplied white plastic body cap and black rear Q cap to protect it when not attached to camera or lens.

The tripod foot fits very well. It is solid and won't fall apart with a little use. If it can hold the Pentax 300, the Q and a lens without tripod foot should be easy.

The adapter does change how the camera is held. There is less room between the camera body and the adapter. Your fingers now dance on the edge of the grip more than before. This will take a little getting used to. Can live with it. Didn't get to try this on a Q10 yet.

Everything on the adapter is well made and works with precision. A great product.

CONCLUSION

With Shake Reduction, focus peaking and this adapter, K mount lenses now work similar to the way they do on a Pentax DSLR. We only loose autofocus and segmented metering. No problem. This adapter makes me feel sorry for people who don't shoot Pentax K mount. Wonderful product Pentax! Thank you for having the vision to design and build the Q system. No one is getting my adapter back!
thanks
barondla

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 

Last edited by barondla; 11-13-2012 at 02:01 AM.
11-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

awesome, so I'm guessing they are out in japan right now? I hope to pick one up soon...
11-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Guess they would have them in Japan. Unless they are shipped from the Philippines to here first. Can't imagine a town of less than 40K people, in midwest USA getting them before Japan. It is a very nice adapter.
thanks
barondla
11-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Excellent review. Congratulations on the first Penax Q-K Adapter!

A quick look around the internet does not reveal what the 300 tripod colar xcosts, any idea?

Last edited by Docrwm; 11-12-2012 at 11:13 PM.
11-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome! Just in time for Thankschristmas! Great review, thanks.
11-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi Barondla,

What a nice surprise! We'll see if my B&M dealer gets one in soon. . .Nice report -- answers all of the issues I had questions about. . .Thanks!

Scott
11-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #7

Thank you! Very interesting )
I still want to look at pic's with Q and FA43, 77, DA40...

11-13-2012, 05:39 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This could be just in time for my trip next month. So far Adorama and B&H still showing as new item, no arrival date. And naturally the pentax webstore doesn't have it (or I can't find it). Thanks for the review! How does the tripod foot attach? I am wondering what the options are, not having a DA300.
11-13-2012, 06:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow. A B&M store in the midwest that has this adapter before B&H/Adorama? How cool is that? As for the tripod collar, what are our options?
11-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Baro-nite, the bottom of the adapter has what could be called an enclosed dovetail. the DA*300 tripod foot has jaws that "pinch" the dove tail when a knob is tightened. Can't imagine a different off the shelf item fitting. Pentax must offer this part for purchase. If not, it will be an expensive tripod adapter if you must buy a DA*300 to get it! The instructions say 300 lens which I have used. Wonder if the 60-250 foot is different?
thanks
barondla
You should be able to get your adapter before the trip.
11-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Timely report!

Since you already own an RJ adapter, what are your thoughts when comparing the Pentax vs. the RJ in terms of :
1. ease of use
2. quality of the images rendered

Good job!

JP
11-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Thanks for the review! Seems like it is pretty much identical to the one I handled last month (which is good news).

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Wow. A B&M store in the midwest that has this adapter before B&H/Adorama? How cool is that?
Might be the aftermath of the big storm(s) and delays in the shipping channels. Still pretty amazing!

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Baro-nite, the bottom of the adapter has what could be called an enclosed dovetail. the DA*300 tripod foot has jaws that "pinch" the dove tail when a knob is tightened. Can't imagine a different off the shelf item fitting. Pentax must offer this part for purchase. If not, it will be an expensive tripod adapter if you must buy a DA*300 to get it! The instructions say 300 lens which I have used. Wonder if the 60-250 foot is different?
The foot on the 60-250 is the same, so I'm sure Pentax has replacement parts, but no idea how you order them. Maybe we should contact a supplier in China to start making knockoffs?
11-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Quickly moved to the Pentax AF540 flash. This will sync up to 1/250. The exposures were more accurate than my K-7 DSLR. High speed flash sync with a leaf shutter is a blessing.
I have been unable to get HSS to work with Q; or do you mean 1/250 as 'high speed' relative to the slow speed previously available with electronic shutter?
11-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Thanks for the review! Seems like it is pretty much identical to the one I handled last month (which is good news).

Might be the aftermath of the big storm(s) and delays in the shipping channels. Still pretty amazing!

The foot on the 60-250 is the same, so I'm sure Pentax has replacement parts, but no idea how you order them. Maybe we should contact a supplier in China to start making knockoffs?
I've looked at several Pentax distributor websites and no ring/foot/unit is listed or searchable on any of their websites. Given how dear both lenses are under MAP (*300 and 60-250) the foot is likely to be ridiculously priced from Pentax. I like the suggestion to get someone in China making them - it's a simple milling process.
11-13-2012, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I've looked at several Pentax distributor websites and no ring/foot/unit is listed or searchable on any of their websites. Given how dear both lenses are under MAP (*300 and 60-250) the foot is likely to be ridiculously priced from Pentax. I like the suggestion to get someone in China making them - it's a simple milling process.
Well..er..I'm a bad girl today.

No one will believe me, so here goes.

Pentax USA Fan Site

Read the section about "Why this site".

I was searching for the tripod collar this morning, and <gulp>.

Now look what I've gotten into.