Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #16
Moo

Interesting to see that they are still using the same box/label style for accessories.

Last edited by Moo; 11-14-2012 at 04:33 AM.
11-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Well..er..I'm a bad girl today.

No one will believe me, so here goes.

Pentax USA Fan Site

Read the section about "Why this site".

I was searching for the tripod collar this morning, and <gulp>.

Now look what I've gotten into.

ROFLMAO. Classic, a K1000 started you down the Pentax road.
11-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I like the suggestion to get someone in China making them - it's a simple milling process.
Well, maybe not so simple, since it has multiple (captive) moving parts, and that narrow arca-type clamp must be strong enough to hold the DA*60-250 sideways!
I've already sent out some inquiries...
11-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Moo Quote
Interesting to see that they still are still the same box/label style for accessories.
I didn't expect that either. None of the other Q boxes have looked like this.
thanks
barondla

11-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Well, maybe not so simple, since it has multiple (captive) moving parts, and that narrow arca-type clamp must be strong enough to hold the DA*60-250 sideways!
I've already sent out some inquiries...
Wouldn't it be easier to get the foot from Pentax. Can't imagine they would make this take a piece they are never going to sell. Well, maybe I can imagine it.
thanks
barondla
11-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just started reading the instructions packed with the adapter. A few things stand out.

1. " In order to use this adapter with the Pentax Q, the firmware must be updated (Ver. 1.02 or later). I remember 1.01, then didn't we went move to 1.10? Was there ever a 1.02?

2. " Do not use this adapter with the ADAPTER K FOR 67 LENS or the ADAPTER K FOR 645 LENS" Drat!

3. Talks about diffraction and small apertures and then "....it depends on the lens and subject, but in general, many lenses provide the sharpest image at aperture around F8 to F11."

4. Under using a tripod. " Use the optional PENTAX Tripod Mount for DA*300mm in cases where camera shake may occur." Sounds like they are going to sell the part. Wonder why no mention of the 60-250?

thanks
barondla
11-14-2012, 04:55 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Wouldn't it be easier to get the foot from Pentax. Can't imagine they would make this take a piece they are never going to sell. Well, maybe I can imagine it.
Oh, I'm pretty sure Pentax will sell the foot separately at some point, but what do you imagine the price will be? I'm cynically guessing north of $100... for something they already make in quantity for other lenses. That's just the way of Pentax accessories!

11-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I have been unable to get HSS to work with Q; or do you mean 1/250 as 'high speed' relative to the slow speed previously available with electronic shutter?
Was talkng about 1/250 compared to 1/13. The 1/1000 of the builtin could also be useful for macro.
Doubt HSS will ever work on the Q. It is designed to overcome the weakness of a focal plane shutter. A problem leaf shutters don't have. In theory, the leaf should work with off board electronic flashes at 1/1000. Would love to know why it can't at the moment.
thanks
barondla
11-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Was talkng about 1/250 compared to 1/13. The 1/1000 of the builtin could also be useful for macro.
Doubt HSS will ever work on the Q. It is designed to overcome the weakness of a focal plane shutter. A problem leaf shutters don't have. In theory, the leaf should work with off board electronic flashes at 1/1000. Would love to know why it can't at the moment.
thanks
barondla
I don't buy this. 1/250 is only a mild improvement over the 1/180 that Pentax's DSLRs are saddled with. If they gave us 1/500 then maybe...I think this is economization/crippling. In the same vein, hy no wireless P-TTL support on this or K-01?
11-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Hi Barondla,

One thing I haven't seen is the attachment point for the tripod foot. I don't have an DA* 300 so am not familiar with the ring/foot. From pics I've seen of the DA* 300, it looks like the foot fits into grooves cut into the rotating ring, so the outside of the adapter behind the aperture ring is actually circular with nothing projecting out from the outside diameter -- correct? If that is indeed the case. . .

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I won't be looking at the Pentax foot as my first choice. I use a Wimberley Sidekick (side mount gimbal), so the Pentax foot would limit me to portrait oriented shooting, which is unacceptable (yeah, I know I can get or make an L bracket ) -- so I'll be looking for removable ring and foot setup so I can rotate the body in relation to the foot. I have four already for lenses that I own (actually only 3 are significantly different), and will try these when I get the adapter -- hopefully I'll have something helpful to report.

Scott
11-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
And naturally the pentax webstore doesn't have it (or I can't find it).
Naturally.
11-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #27

hi if anyone can compare the official PK to Q adapter vs the ones from ebay, greatly appreciated.
the official is wayyyy too expensive for me
11-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by erwinsie Quote
hi if anyone can compare the official PK to Q adapter vs the ones from ebay, greatly appreciated.
the official is wayyyy too expensive for me
There is some really good information on the eBay adapters in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/173602-reach-q-images.html
11-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I don't buy this.
Not sure what you are refering to?
thanks
barondla
11-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Thanks for the great info.
Looks like the adapter will make the Q rock even more with 1/250 sync.

Unfortunately, there is a change of distro here.
From being one of the first to get new Pentax stuff, we seem to have dropped to 'just another place'...

I'd probably get one once its avaliable so long as the new distro does not try to fleece the Pentaxians here with exorbitant pricing.