Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
If you manage to order one, let us know what it cost you...
Will do, although after my preliminary testing with the DA*200 I'm considering renting or buying a DA*300 for my trip instead. Might depend on what Black Friday deals Pentax will announce tonight, as per Adam's hints.

11-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Great initiative panoguy! I want one by the end of next week so unless it is exorbitant I will order from Pentax USA (closed till Monday). While on the topic, would someone please tell me what is the length of the DA*300 foot? If I buy one I'll need an Arca-Swiss plate to go with it. I realize I may need to order a longer plate to be able to balance the DA*200.
The DA*300 foot is 49mm long. Good luck getting the tripod foot by the end of next week. It isn't a sku on the Pentax USA price list. Only way to get one at the moment is to buy a new 300 ( who says there isn't any Pentax marketing?Lol) or try to order foot as a replacement/repair part. We are a little to far ahead of the game at the moment.
thanks
barondla
11-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If need be I will go bean bag instead. A bit awkward for focusing, but doable.
11-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
3rd party vs Pentax Q>PK adapter comparison pics.

Had a chance to compare my modified JR adapter to the New Pentax made one. The JR has the interior painted to reduce reflection with Rust-oleum flat black automotive enamel. The JR also had longer screws with nuts installed and was J.B.Welded in place to make the tripod foot stable. The Pentax adapter borrowed the tripod foot from my Pentax DA*300. Both were mounted on a Uni-Lock Major tripod with Linhof ball head using Arca QR plates. I made every effort to make both shots as identical as possible. Shot in Raw, converted to tif in Silkypix, then resized in PSE9. I will post the pics and hold my comments for later.
thanks
barondla

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
11-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Had a chance to compare my modified JR adapter to the New Pentax made one. The JR has the interior painted to reduce reflection with Rust-oleum flat black automotive enamel. The JR also had longer screws with nuts installed and was J.B.Welded in place to make the tripod foot stable. The Pentax adapter borrowed the tripod foot from my Pentax DA*300. Both were mounted on a Uni-Lock Major tripod with Linhof ball head using Arca QR plates. I made every effort to make both shots as identical as possible. Shot in Raw, converted to tif in Silkypix, then resized in PSE9. I will post the pics and hold my comments for later.
Hi barondla,

OK, I'm not seeing any substantial difference, except for a very slight difference in exposure with #2 looking a tiny bit brighter, and #1 having a slightly yellower cast. This is a little strange because the exif shows a faster shutter speed for #2 (.05 sec difference). I'll admit to not being the most discerning pixel peeper. . .

I couldn't begin to guess which was taken with which adapter, and that's okay with me. . .It means that I can use the Pentax when I need the shutter for macros with flash, and not be much concerned about using the JR for tele purposes.

I do think that the Pentax might ultimately be my goto adapter to get the best detail for birding though -- theoretically, at least, the mechanical shutter can cut down on rolling shutter blur, which may be causing some very fine detail loss, even when subject motion is slight and shutter speeds are relatively fast -- I'll have to try to test for this in the field and see to what degree this might be true.

I can't believe that you have a Uni Loc -- I'm so used to suggesting it as a great macro tripod alternative, and being greeted with a blank stare -- I've got a System 1700. . .saw it on Ebay a few years ago with a starting bid of $125 and was the only bidder -- one of my better ebay purchases. I had been looking for one for quite a while, and had just settled on a Benbo Trekker 1 for $75 about a week before the Uni Loc was offered. I still have and use both, but the Uni Loc is always in the trunk of my car for serious use while the Benbo is convenient for odd shooting tasks at home. If the System 1700 wasn't so heavy and could fold down more compactly, it would probably be the only tripod I'd need -- The design is brilliant. . . and it's always fun to just hand it to a bent bolt virgin and ask him to set it up for me. . ..

Scott
11-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to take a guess that the first picture is the non-oem and the second is the oem adapter.

I'm looking at the doll's hair at the upper right corner and see a little bit of that smokiness in the top picture, but not in the bottom shot.

I think a telephoto shot outside in daylight may bring out any differences caused by internal reflections a bit more, yes?

I'll do some comparisons when mine arrives on Monday (hopefully.)
11-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Snostorm, my Uni-Loc must be 25 or more years old. Bought it before the articulating center post appeared. Just looked at their web site and they now have 3 leg section tripods too. That would sure shrink into a smaller size. Mine is heavy. Wish they could do carbon legs. Love mine and nothing beats it for macro.
thanks
barondla

11-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Holy smokes, I just got my OEM adapter this eve, what a marvelous piece of engineering! It is a good match for the Q's magnesium build.
Not sure what all is going on in there but when I take a shot I can hear a solid "Snap!" from the shutter.

Jury is out on the non click aperture dial - I may have to put a rubber bracelet on there to keep it in one spot, but the action is very smooth.

I'm not too keen on having to swap the foot from my DA*300 and I could use portrait orientation on a tripod, so if someone identifies a third party tripod ring that will work let us know.

Too bad I have to go out of town on a biz trip - the comparison with the Fotodiox will have to wait.
11-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm measuring the outside diameter of the adapter where a ring could be mounted at 65mm. Can anyone confirm?

If so I am wondering if this unit will work, perhaps with a bit thicker rubber? Tripod Collar Mount Ring A(W) for Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Lens | eBay
11-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I'm measuring the outside diameter of the adapter where a ring could be mounted at 65mm. Can anyone confirm?

If so I am wondering if this unit will work, perhaps with a bit thicker rubber? Tripod Collar Mount Ring A(W) for Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Lens | eBay
Tell you what, I'll order the ring adapter for $10 shipped, you send me your Q-K adapter, and I'll check it out and put it through a few field trials.

Oh, and here is the search thread that I ran. It came up with 2 pages of ring adapters from 65mm to 100mm+. It looks like nearly all of them were turned out by the same shop, I wonder who and how we could get them to adjust the design for the Q adapter?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=Tripod+Collar+Mount+Ring

Last edited by Docrwm; 11-26-2012 at 08:03 PM.
11-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately so far I am getting no help from Pentax USA and/or Pentax Parts. Does anyone know how to actually get a response from Pentax Parts?
11-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Unfortunately so far I am getting no help from Pentax USA and/or Pentax Parts. Does anyone know how to actually get a response from Pentax Parts?
The few posts I have seen that had positive things to say about Pentax parts all involved a telephone call as I recall. Those in Canada have been much more positive about their parts department and its willingness to be a) responsive and b) actually provide parts.
11-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Tell you what, I'll order the ring adapter for $10 shipped, you send me your Q-K adapter, and I'll check it out and put it through a few field trials.
You so helpful No worries I got it
11-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I wonder who and how we could get them to adjust the design for the Q adapter?
How about something like this ring, but thinner and with a plastic insert that is shaped for the Q-K adapter?
11-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At $379 it will probably be only slightly more than the Pentax clamp