Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax OEM Q to K adapter in stock

Pentax Q to K Lens Adapter Allows Pentax K-mount lenses to be used on Pentax Q cameras at Crutchfield.com

I've checked B&H and Adorama but they are not in stock at either yet. It's list price but you get free 2 day shipping

11-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hmm pricey, now that the latest firmware allows SR with third party adapters, whats the benefit, apart from mechanical shutter.
11-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Oooh, Crutchfield. I remember them as "the house of Rockford Fosgate!"

BTW, that adapter will be $250 no matter where you go for a while...
11-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Hmm pricey, now that the latest firmware allows SR with third party adapters, whats the benefit, apart from mechanical shutter.
See barondla's mini-review.

Thanks for the heads up, Doc -- if I weren't heading out of town for the rest of the week I'd be hitting the buy button right now.

11-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unless you have painted the interior flat black matte there will be better image quality with the Pentax adapter. The 3rd party adapters I have seen sport a lustre finish that robs contrast with newer lenses that have top digital coatings like the Pentax DA*300. With other lenses a white haze covers the frame ( some 80-200 zooms and the Bigma). The white haze renders those lenses useless.

We know the electronic shutter causes the jello effect when shooting too much movement. It is still to be determined if ALL shots with the electronic shutter sacrifice quality vs the mechanical shutter. There may be other losses like sharpness, noise, etc.

My 3rd party adapters lost their tripod mounts in a few weeks. I had to JB Weld them in place. The optional mount for the Pentax adapter is solid as can be.

Add the ability to shoot flash with adapted lenses at flash sync of 1/250 with external flash (1/1000 internal flash) vs 1/13. Pentax adapter brings lots of advantages over other adapters.
thanks
barondla
11-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Unless you have painted the interior flat black matte there will be better image quality with the Pentax adapter. The 3rd party adapters I have seen sport a lustre finish that robs contrast with newer lenses that have top digital coatings like the Pentax DA*300. With other lenses a white haze covers the frame ( some 80-200 zooms and the Bigma). The white haze renders those lenses useless.

We know the electronic shutter causes the jello effect when shooting too much movement. It is still to be determined if ALL shots with the electronic shutter sacrifice quality vs the mechanical shutter. There may be other losses like sharpness, noise, etc.

My 3rd party adapters lost their tripod mounts in a few weeks. I had to JB Weld them in place. The optional mount for the Pentax adapter is solid as can be.

Add the ability to shoot flash with adapted lenses at flash sync of 1/250 with external flash (1/1000 internal flash) vs 1/13. Pentax adapter brings lots of advantages over other adapters.
thanks
barondla
Very nice summary. I'm still waiting to hear about the tripod foot and its availability since there is no part number and no vendors sell it as an option.
11-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, I just bought a new Q with the prime kit lens for $189, buying an adapter for $250 feels a bit weird.
11-14-2012, 02:12 AM   #8

Well, I just bought a new Q with the prime kit lens for $189, buying an adapter for $250 feels a bit weird.
Just got the same deal and looking to use the Q with my DA* 300mm and A 100mm Macro but $250 is hard to justify!

11-14-2012, 04:16 AM   #9

Welcome fellow Ozbargainers

Just ordered my Q for $189 as well.
11-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Welcome to Q ownership selar, Light_ Horseman, and IceFyre. Understand it feels weird to buy the adapter. It may be easier for me since I bought the Q when it was going for $799! Ouch . Maybe I should visit OZ.
thanks
barondla
11-16-2012, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link Docrwm.
I ordered using Crutchfield coupon code 3A865 to get a $25 gift card with purchase, and got another $10 off by finally giving in to PayPal's 6mo's no interest offer.
So net $215.
Looking forward to the adapter - if it works out I'll put my Fotodiox in the marketplace.
11-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Thanks for the link Docrwm.
I ordered using Crutchfield coupon code 3A865 to get a $25 gift card with purchase, and got another $10 off by finally giving in to PayPal's 6mo's no interest offer.
So net $215.
Looking forward to the adapter - if it works out I'll put my Fotodiox in the marketplace.
Glad you were able to get some $'s off on it.
11-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #13
Riv

Photos: Albums
Mine came today from Crutchfield. The packaging was a bit mind blowing, the box was so big I though they sent me a K5IIs by mistake. Actually my K5 from B&H came in a smaller box than this adapter did. But that don't matter, it's here in one piece.

Build quality seems nice, I'm not going to like the switching of the foot off the DA*300 to mount on the adapter. Goes off and on the 300mm easy enough, but it goes on the adapter with a pretty
hefty snap. Maybe the second time it will go better.
The DA*55mm might make a nice new 300mm option, the DFA 100mm macro seemed to work well, but hand holding might be iffy for me with the way you have to hold the Q. That's all said with only viewing on the camera monitor. I didn't try the 300mm yet, but I did try it with the 2X-S converter attached. Just seeing what 3300mm would be like was egging me on to try it. Obviously 3300mm can't be handheld, but it's not even in the realm of a fantasy of being able to. So I put it on the tripod, at the point I learned that 3300mm really tests your support system. The tripod will support 15lbs, so maybe the Q rig is just to light. I was a little surpised how well it looked on the monitor, but I know off camera I'll be lucky to get anything that's usable for even 4x6 prints. My sister was over at the time, she was in tears laughing at how close things looked on the display, she just kept saying omg that's insane! Hopefully tomorrow will be a clear day so I test things out. So far it looks like it's going to be a fun addition to the kit, and getting a little extra mileage out of the more expensive glass never hurts

Edit: my mistake, appears I was putting the wrong side on first

Last edited by Riv; 11-17-2012 at 05:05 PM.
11-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the coupon code crewl1; mine's now on order.
11-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Thanks for the coupon code crewl1; mine's now on order.
Good deal baro-nite. Now what can I spend the $25 GC on? Hmmm, do they sell the Q Fisheye...?