Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got my first ever fisheye today.....

My new Q is so fun that it's made me rethink my camera kit setup. I had my K-5 as my main go to camera with my K-x as a backup/car camera. Well, the K-x is up on the Marketplace (already sold the 18-55 v.II) along with a few other odds and ends in order to provide capital for my new Q addiction.

So, I got the 03 Fish-Eye in the mail today. I just had a chance to open the box and try it out - I'm surprised at how much narrower at the base it is over the 01. What a nice little lens for $115 shipped from B&H.

LBA for the Q is well underway.......at least there are only 5-6 lenses from Pentax for the Q

11-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
From Pentax anyways.

Then if you consider all the c-mount glass~
11-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
From Pentax anyways.

Then if you consider all the c-mount glass~
No. There are ONLY 5-6 lenses..... Really.

This is straight out of the camera with just downsizing to 1/5 the original size. Used the Manfrotto Mini-Tripod so I could keep the ISO low at 125 with 1/5th second exposure. This is like the 3rd shot from the lens. I've never used a Fish-Eye before but I can see where this could be fun.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 

Last edited by Docrwm; 11-15-2012 at 02:50 PM.
11-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Congrats! I hope to get one also, but the official Pentax adapter is first on the list of purchases. Maybe Xmas.

11-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Congrats! I hope to get one also, but the official Pentax adapter is first on the list of purchases. Maybe Xmas.
Just looked at the lens closely and it says "Made in Thailand". I didn't know Pentax had any equipment made there. I know there has been some debate about MIJ vs MIV but I just don't recall Thailand being in the discussions. Did I miss that or is it only Q equipment that is made there for Pentax?
11-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cool!
11-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Cool!
Thanks. B&H had the best out the door price and I like doing business with them, particularly after their stand-up performance during the recent crisis in NYC.

In reading the PZ review of the 03 they said it was fine at its price point but concluded with "If you are seeking a higher image quality potential it may make sense to look at e.g. the Fujinon fisheye lenses in C-mount via adapter." Ok, but the only ones I can find are $450 and are all listed as for 5 megapixel cameras. 5 megapixel camera lens and its going to produce images 4x better? Has anyone tried one of these instead of the 03?

Last edited by Docrwm; 11-15-2012 at 03:40 PM.
11-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Hi Docrwm,

The FE is a lot of fun. I like shooting small stuff with it up close and personal. It's also good for annoying my cats by presetting the focus and sticking the camera in their faces and shooting from a couple of inches when they get overly demanding. It's also interesting as a shoot from the hip lens on the street or in a small space (car, elevator, etc) since it has such wide coverage. It is important to focus it correctly though. It took a lot of experimentation to get a handle on "zone focusing" with it, and I still often get it wrong.

Peaking is a great feature for using the FE effectively.

Personally, I cannot justify more cost for what I use the FE for on the Q. I do have a DA 10-17 and K-5 for better quality if I want it, but with the Q, it's mostly for fun, and you really can't beat the price for the amount of fun this can provide.

Scott

11-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Docrwm,

The FE is a lot of fun. I like shooting small stuff with it up close and personal. It's also good for annoying my cats by presetting the focus and sticking the camera in their faces and shooting from a couple of inches when they get overly demanding. It's also interesting as a shoot from the hip lens on the street or in a small space (car, elevator, etc) since it has such wide coverage. It is important to focus it correctly though. It took a lot of experimentation to get a handle on "zone focusing" with it, and I still often get it wrong.

Peaking is a great feature for using the FE effectively.

Personally, I cannot justify more cost for what I use the FE for on the Q. I do have a DA 10-17 and K-5 for better quality if I want it, but with the Q, it's mostly for fun, and you really can't beat the price for the amount of fun this can provide.

Scott
Scott,

Thanks. I'm going to have to practice with the zone focusing on it. There is not a lot of range in the rotation of the focus but its DoF is pretty huge so it'll be interesting to see what I get. I had to stop and think about what the white stuff was all over my screen this afternoon The focus peaking turned itself on because the lens is MF. At first I thought the screen was messed up