Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know what feels and looks made for the Q?

SuperTak lenses, that's what.

Wow, buttery smooth with good throws for easier focusing. The ST50/1.4 works like a 275 and is small. Really fun.

Have you tried any Super Taks on your Q?

Last edited by Docrwm; 11-16-2012 at 09:36 PM.
11-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Hi Docrwm,

The first converted lens I tried on my Q was an S-M-C Tak 50 f1.4. This was with a Pentax M42 to K, Bower K to C, and JR C to Q, before I RJ was offering the straight K to Q. Unfortunately, this complex adapter setup would not focus past about 15 ft, so it was disappointing, but my 135 f3.5 and 200 f4 worked well, and started confirming what I had expected could be done with adapted lenses. BTW, the S-M-C Tak 50 f1.4 focuses fine to ∞ with the JR K to Q adapter, so it was the combination of the other two that screwed things up. . .

I actually like the AF lenses though -- the short focus throw gives me some extra speed when I need it, and now with Peaking, I can zero in on critical focus without needing the precision of the MF lenses.

I think that a lot of people can get overly impressed with very long lenses with the Q's crop factor. As you mentioned, a fast 50 and the Q is something pretty impressive. Not only is it around 280mm FOV, but it's still an f1.4, and with Peaking making it easier to focus in lower light (at least you have a chance to nail the focus) this makes for a pretty formidable candids kit for parties and family get togethers. It will be part of my kit for Thxgiving next week -- I can just sit back and shoot head shots from across the room -- should be pretty cool. It's 2 stops faster than a 70-200 f2.8 and not even in the same world when it comes to subject intimidation. I expect to get my best shots with the Q.

Scott
11-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I love my ST 200 f4 on my Q and hope to post some shots soon weather permitting, My favorite lens to date is my SMC-M 135 f3.5 I have played with my shorter lenses a SMC-A 28 f2.8 and a SMC-A 50 f1.7 and plan on some closeup insect work next summer. I have found the Q much more demanding of a sharp lens than my Kr.

Hans
11-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I love my ST 200 f4 on my Q and hope to post some shots soon weather permitting, My favorite lens to date is my SMC-M 135 f3.5 I have played with my shorter lenses a SMC-A 28 f2.8 and a SMC-A 50 f1.7 and plan on some closeup insect work next summer. I have found the Q much more demanding of a sharp lens than my Kr.

Hans
I tried my M135/3.5 at the zoo last weekend and it was a bit tough because its essentially ~750mm lens at that point.

11-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I tried my M135/3.5 at the zoo last weekend and it was a bit tough because its essentially ~750mm lens at that point.
Yea I need to use the hood loop with mine because it steadies the camera and helps see the finder at 750mm

Hans