Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
images taken with the 02 lens only - NO post processing

It was suggested that I start another thread rather than "bogging" an existing one (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/172196-lets-share-shots-q-57.html).

I would like to see some images taken with the 02 zoom lens, particularly at the zoom end (15mm), with no post processing done.

I did, upon suggestion, visit this very good thread also: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/205095-q-01-prime-vs-q-02-zoom-i...ml#post2167267

I am trying to decide whether my own 02 lens is "soft" or it is a case of "me".

JP

11-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Flickr: Search Pentax Q
11-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

These are two shots taken this morning, wide open f4.5 at 15mm (EXIF says 14.9mm) ISO 200
I can email the originals if you would like them, send a PM.

11-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderography Quote
Good sets of pics in there.
I think that my own 02 lens "could be" somewhat softer than yours.
Maybe it is the light ? Better lighting conditions that is ?

Thanks for sharing.

JP

11-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
These are two shots taken this morning, wide open f4.5 at 15mm (EXIF says 14.9mm) ISO 200
I can email the originals if you would like them, send a PM.
Great! Thanks for sharing those here.

Well, the way I see it, it is pretty much the same rendering as my own pics with the same EXIF data.

Being uploaded here though, your photos could have been slightly "altered" in the process. I have found that out myself when uploading files here on P.F. .... the pics would never be as good as the originals.

Yes, I will send a PM .... just to see what they are like "in the real world".

Thanks again.

JP
11-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Good sets of pics in there.
I think that my own 02 lens "could be" somewhat softer than yours.
Maybe it is the light ? Better lighting conditions that is ?

Thanks for sharing.

JP
I didn't show you my images, I gave you a link to a flickr search for the 02 zoom, people always ask to "let me see your PICZ!!!" but a quick simple search on bing/flickr/Pentax Forums will solve your problem.
11-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderography Quote
I didn't show you my images, I gave you a link to a flickr search for the 02 zoom, people always ask to "let me see your PICZ!!!" but a quick simple search on bing/flickr/Pentax Forums will solve your problem.
OK, thanks for the link anyway.

JP
11-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #8

wanderography

Thanks for the link, I didn't know that search function, very handy!

11-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I am trying to decide whether my own 02 lens is "soft" or it is a case of "me".
I am curious if you have tried taking the exact same photo once with auto-focus and once manually focused. There have been times that I have felt that my 02 Zoom exhibited soft auto-focus at 15 (I found perfect, sharp focus up to past the 10mm mark, but right before and at 15mm, it was soft.) I feel like this would happen in dim indoor lighting and I haven't noticed it as much when I am out shooting in daylight (the camera was supported in the low light shots, in other words it shouldn't be an issue of hand shake at slow shutter speeds.) When I manually focused, I would get a noticeably sharper photo.

I had debated about seeing if anyone on here had experienced anything similar but hadn't done so yet. Because I don't feel like my results are consistent, I don't really know how to decide what the issue is. In the end I have overall been happy with the 02 zoom for what it is and get some great shots with it. I am definitely interested in the 06 Zoom and since that starts at 15mm but with a 2.8 aperture, I may just decide to use that more often for shots past 10mm.
11-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
I am curious if you have tried taking the exact same photo once with auto-focus and once manually focused. There have been times that I have felt that my 02 Zoom exhibited soft auto-focus at 15 (I found perfect, sharp focus up to past the 10mm mark, but right before and at 15mm, it was soft.) I feel like this would happen in dim indoor lighting and I haven't noticed it as much when I am out shooting in daylight (the camera was supported in the low light shots, in other words it shouldn't be an issue of hand shake at slow shutter speeds.) When I manually focused, I would get a noticeably sharper photo.

I had debated about seeing if anyone on here had experienced anything similar but hadn't done so yet. Because I don't feel like my results are consistent, I don't really know how to decide what the issue is. In the end I have overall been happy with the 02 zoom for what it is and get some great shots with it. I am definitely interested in the 06 Zoom and since that starts at 15mm but with a 2.8 aperture, I may just decide to use that more often for shots past 10mm.
I haven't tried the same photos using MF vs. AF.
Maybe I should, just to see what goes.
Good idea.

My very limited experience with the 02 lens (I use the 01 prime most of the time) is indeed limited: maybe 10 to 12 shots with it this far! So, that could be one good reason why I have "soft" images at 15mm ... not enough "testing".

Thanks for the suggestion; I will get on with this and fire off a few more shots and see what happens.

I too am very interested with the 06 zoom: F2.8 across the board ... very interesting.
And because I am such a chicken when it comes to buying a lens, any lens, I will let other people test it before I commit!

Cheers.

JP