Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Riv Quote
I have a K5, Thanks. My goal here is simply trying see if my camera has issues or not based on others peoples usage results.
Glenn,

If you have turned off the things I listed and are only getting the usage that you already posted then yes, I think there is something wrong - either with the camera or the battery/charger.

11-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #17
Riv

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I'm thinking there is likely a little solution in many of the posts made. These two after market 1200mAh batteries is when I really started noticing a shortened battery life, even with 01 and 02 lenses. As one post noted, they are likely bogus claims and come up short of even a 900mAh battery. The Pentax battery is rated at: typically 1000mAh, minimum 940mAh. It does take longer as another echoed when using the adapter, and maybe focus peeking burns a lot of power. Something I have turned off with the 01 and 02. That would cut your shot count in half at a minimum. I could have a battery that gave up the ghost already, or worse, those aftermarket batteries might have damaged the chargers ability to determine a full charge. <--- edit: that can't/shouldn't be the case, as I do get a full green battery indicator at first.

The camera features would burn more power, however this morning netted 2 dead batteries and with no shots taken (so the features never came into play and SR was Off). I swear that that squirrel got into someones coffee, wouldn't sit still for more than 10 seconds and spent that time trying to find him with the camera. So some form of aiming aid would help.

Tomorrow looks to be a slow day at work, so I'm going try some testing and maybe make a device for testing the batteries out of camera. Used to that for the sub C batteries we used to race R/C trucks, but that was 20yrs ago. Making a battery grip might be a interesting winter project, it wouldn't be as graceful to use has the grip for the K5. But looking at how the AC Adapter works(connects) with the Q is should be possible to come up with something. Finding an off the shelf battery with the right spec's and a usable size might a challenge however.

Thanks for your thoughts and input

Last edited by Riv; 11-22-2012 at 07:08 PM.
11-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Riv, I have 3 batteries with my Q. One original and 2 Lenmar. Truthfully they all seem to give me about 200 shots. I am fine with any of them. Do have them numbered to keep tabs on them if one starts acting up.
thanks
barondla
11-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One wonders how it isn't possible to have a small battery packing more "lasting power" considering the technology that there is out there.
I am going to have to order a couple more batteries for this Q of mine.

I have turned off the peaking, ordered a telewide finder so that I will not use the monitor so much and hope this will make the battery last a little longer.

I have no idea yet as to how many pics I will be able to get with one full charge, in JPEG, RAW or RAW/JPEG.

JP

11-23-2012, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #20
Riv

Original Poster
edit: Red Text are 24Nov updates

Results from some testing today.

Parameters, Camera was setup in AV mode, SR Off, Power Save off, Shut Down Off, AWB, Natural Custom image, No SD card, everything else was off or at the minimum allowed setting. Room temp 67.7d(f). Camera was configured this way because I was testing the batteries, not the camera. Except the SD card, forgot to bring one but it wasn't needed anyway.

Charge Time test, battery was depleted in camera and then placed right on charger with no recovery time allowed.

Aftermarket 1- 38m 42s (charge #2 38m 12s), Voltage after charge 4.12vdc, stabilized at 4.06vdc
Aftermarket 2- 1h 19m 10s (charge #2 1h 16m 54s), Voltage after charge 4.15vdc, stabilized at 4.09vdc
Pentax OEM- 1h 41m 46s (charge #2 1h 42m 24s), Voltage after charge 4.17vdc, stabilized at 4.15vdc

Things are looking bad already.

Run time test. Camera aimed at the same target in each test and timed start to depleted message.

Aftermarket 1- 18m
Aftermarket 2- 44m
Pentax OEM- 2h 13m (ran twice to validate the extreme difference, 2nd run was 2h 9m)

I did one more test, same settings except this time with SR on mode 2 (full time). I put a water bottle on the desk, then set 300mm tripod shoe on top of the bottle, and hand held the camera (imagine an 8in monopod with long glass). An effort to keep SR actively working. This test included 1 more power on cycle after the first depleted message to insure the battery was dead.

Aftermarket 1- 4m 7s
Aftermarket 2- 28m 29s
Pentax OEM- Based on the aftermarket 2 test I choose not to do this one. I didn't want to work the SR system for what should be over an hour straight.

Clearly Aftermarket 1 is a bad battery. I don't know if Aftermarket 2 is actually bad, or just a flat out lie in labeled rating. I don't have a 2nd OEM battery (yet) to validate the tests for that battery, but I plan to re-validate the run time test. It scored a lot higher for only 20m longer charge time, ran out of time today.

I think I've shown that camera and the charger are ok. What makes me mad is that I didn't buy $3 aftermarket to avoid all this. These were priced at half the OEM battery, but they appear to be $3 batteries. Needless to say they will be getting a call tomorrow or Monday if closed weekends.

So there you have it, all those hours charging and draining batteries and not a single picture taken what a waste of a day. But. I got my answer.

Added so you don't have to search all the replies. They were purchased from bestbatt.com @$10 each. I'm sure there are good aftermarket batteries out there. Just be mindful of your source, I thought I was: but wasn't mindful enough it seems. These are nameless batteries imported from China with no manufacture info, pictures of them are a few posts down. But they don't mean much, the labels could change tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised to learn there are only a couple of companies that make these. Best of them become OEM, next best group becomes Named aftermarket, and all the sub-standard ones go to fleebay and websites like this one. Just like the sub-C racing packs, you had pushed, matched, retail pack and lastly sperate cells that were (20yrs ago) a crap shoot.

Last edited by Riv; 11-24-2012 at 02:46 PM.
11-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow. What a battery( pun intended) of tests. My aftermarket batts have done much better. If I read correctly, you held the camera on a bottle for 28 min straight? That is dedication.
thanks
barondla

Go out and take some pics- enjoy your Q. This is supposed to be FUN!
11-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Riv Quote
I think I've shown that camera is ok, and the charger is ok. What makes me mad is that I didn't buy $3 aftermarket to avoid all this. These were priced at half the OEM battery, but they appear to be $3 batteries. Needless to say they will be getting a call tomorrow or Monday if closed weekends.
Great! Can you share what "brand" of Aftermarket batteries they were, so we can avoid them?

11-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #23
Riv

Original Poster
@Barondla; Yeah, that's the other half of the reason I didn't test the OEM's for an hour+ The test started to evolve a bit which is why I did that. But the evolution died after that test, and like you said the Q is supposed to be fun

@Panoguy; The brand I've been working on, they have no manufacture name on them. I can tell you I bought them from BestBatt.com, the ad on the site lists different spec's than the delivered. Site said 1100mAh, and 1200mAh were sent. Also the image on the site is wrong, they show a mostly white label with a blue bar. I noticed today on the warning label is a small white dot label that says QC 2009. So, they suck and their old. At least the ones they sent me. There is directions and warnings on a piece paper in the holders, even those give no clue to who made them. Other than going to the reseller there is zero warranty claim info. I should have went to Thomas Distributing, I've always had good luck there but it's been so long I forgot about them.

Currently waiting on a reply from BesttBatt on a refund. Looking at their inventory, seems everything they sell are fleeBay generic's.

Last edited by Riv; 11-24-2012 at 02:55 PM.
11-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #24
Riv

Original Poster
Is the Q battery (or the D-Li68) evolving?

I read many posts that the battery that came with their Q is stated on the label to be 900mAh. Mine says 3.6v Typ 1000mAh, Min 940mAh, Made in China.

Today I got one of my two new Pentax D-Li68's. It's labeled as 3.7v Typ 1000mAh, Min 960mAh, Pack Made in Japan, Pack assembled in China. Slightly tighter tollerance, pinch more voltage. If they could only figure out how to get to Typ 2000mAh, Min 1900mAh.

EDIT: The second of the 2 new OEM batteries arrived today. 3rd OEM, 3rd different OEM label. This one just says, 3.7v 1000mAh, Pack Made in Japan, Pack assembled in China.

Update to BestBatt: They did issue a full refund without hassel, just a bit of a delay.

Last edited by Riv; 12-08-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: update
11-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Just FYI on the battery database. My OEM battery says:
min 940mAh (3.4Wh)
3.6v Typ. 1000mAh
Hoya Corp.
Made in China
11-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #26

I have a Fujifilm X10, in addition to my Pentax Q. I noticed that the batteries are the same. The X10 uses the N50 battery and the Q uses the D-Li68. Both batteries are rated 3.6V at 1000mA. I use them both in the Q, although I noticed that the Pentax battery charger is a bit faster to charge a fully depleted battery than the X10's. And N50 compatible batteries are much cheaper than D-Li68 batteries. Read where the N50 is made by Hoya. Wouldn't be surprised if Hoya also made the D-Li68.
11-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yellowruby Quote
I have a Fujifilm X10, in addition to my Pentax Q. I noticed that the batteries are the same. The X10 uses the N50 battery and the Q uses the D-Li68. Both batteries are rated 3.6V at 1000mA. I use them both in the Q, although I noticed that the Pentax battery charger is a bit faster to charge a fully depleted battery than the X10's. And N50 compatible batteries are much cheaper than D-Li68 batteries. Read where the N50 is made by Hoya. Wouldn't be surprised if Hoya also made the D-Li68.
My D-Li68 is marked Hoya but I thought that merely a holdover from the pre-Ricoh days. Good to know about an alternative source for batteries. Do you notice any difference in how long the N50s last in the Q over the D-Li68s?
11-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
My D-Li68 is marked Hoya but I thought that merely a holdover from the pre-Ricoh days. Good to know about an alternative source for batteries. Do you notice any difference in how long the N50s last in the Q over the D-Li68s?
I haven't noticed any difference in battery life at all. I have two N50s and one D-Li68. I am running a time lapse up to eight hours a day and change the batteries at two hour intervals. I go through the batteries one after the other, recharging whatever battery was depleted last. The battery life is identical and consistent across all three, which is nice, as my second N50 only cost me $6 on eBay!
11-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yellowruby Quote
I haven't noticed any difference in battery life at all. I have two N50s and one D-Li68. I am running a time lapse up to eight hours a day and change the batteries at two hour intervals. I go through the batteries one after the other, recharging whatever battery was depleted last. The battery life is identical and consistent across all three, which is nice, as my second N50 only cost me $6 on eBay!
Good to know, are they marketed as Fuji N50s or are the generic?
11-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Good to know, are they marketed as Fuji N50s or are the generic?
Both batteries are official Fuji N50 batteries. One came with the camera, the other was NIB with the usual Fuji packaging. I have not tried any generic batteries. I know Kodak also makes an N50-type battery for the X10. Should probably work with the Q, too. BTW, I've used my Fuji battery charger on the Pentax D-Li68 without any problems.