Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-22-2012, 07:54 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Your Q's battery life experiances

Hi,

I've got three batteries for the Q, the Pentax 1000mAh OEM, and two aftermarket 1200mAh. Same issues with all three. We(I) know the battery life is low on the Q, I'm showing image 269, the firmware 1.1 reset it to 0 and if I recall it was around 150. Even if I round up to 450 shots, I must have have changed the battery over 20 times all ready. Before you get excited I know a lot of thing can lower the image count. So, here's an example it happened again this morning. It's 45d(f) out, not freezing cold but cool. Not sure if it matters but I was using the DA*300mm with the Pentax OEM K2Q adapter, SR off, Focus peeking on, fresh fully charged battery. I was trying to get a shot of a squirrel that running around in a large tree. So I was chasing him around, trying to find him again. Not even 10 minutes later I got the Battery Depleted beeps. That was with the OEM battery, so I put in one of 1200mAh batteries. 10-15 minutes later, same battery depleted beeping. I know battery life diminishes in the cold, but these are warm batteries going dead before the outdoor temp should really be effecting them. I get better run time indoors, but even then it's only around 10% of the rated.

I'm not sure what to suspect at this point, an issue with the charger, the Q, or along shot of being the adapter. I have another charger coming, an aftermarket that plugs directly into the wall. But that won't be here for a few weeks.

Is this in line with your experiences?

11-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same here: low battery very quickly.

Example: just playing with the camera settings for about 10 minutes and not taking any pics: battery level shows it has reached about 75% charge .... down by 25% just "playing" with settings.

Scary!

JP
11-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I also have 3 batteries and have found the battery meter will start showing usage very quickly but if I turn it off it will return to full. I believe I play more with the Q than with any of my other cameras and that makes it seem to kill batteries faster. Ok the Q does kill batteries faster than my Canon S100 and it is known as a battery killer. I have changed to SR during shot only rather than always and that has helped. It seems when ever I pick up my Q and use it the battery will need charging when I put it down, but I seem to leave the Q on when using the adapter so I don't have to reset lens focal length allowing for a quicker response. At those times I would have turned my other cameras off.

Hans
11-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Riv

Original Poster
I've seen that happen after a spike in system load, meter showed green around 75% then a drop to yellow and back to green. Every time I get the depleted message I try turning off and then back on, but it never comes back up anything more than the red battery outline. My DS had that issue, battery monitor would lose track and a power off/on would fix it. The Q does seem to know the battery level better than the DS did. I know my battery use goes up with the adapter, especially with 300mm mounted, it just takes longer to find, frame and focus at that equiv focal length. But 10-15 minutes just seems to suggest that something is wrong with one of my component's.

11-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Same here, I had to buy a few extra batteries and none of them last as long as the original one btw.

They say 1100 mah and the pentax shows 900 I think, but it's a scam, the replacements are probably not even 900 mah.
11-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Weird. I've put only about 1,000 shots on my Q so far, but frequently 80-100 in a day and it seems to go about 3 days before the OEM battery needs a recharge (and I shoot until it says "battery depleted"). That includes shooting short (~1 min) videos and playing them back on the camera for my kids to watch (expectations for instant gratification are rampant!), both indoors and out. To me, that's about on par with the W90 I also own... not spectacular like my old Panasonic LX, or anywhere near the K-5, but not horrible like your experience.
11-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I have shot about 500 frames through my Q and I have charged the battery twice. I have the Q with the standard lens. The first time the battery went low I was very surprised. I am used to the K-5 which seems to go forever on one charge.

11-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree. My Q is a "two-battery-per-outing" camera.
My K5s with the battery grip last for days and days of shooting.
11-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't count any more. I just have made it a habit to glance at the battery indicator every shot, and when it gets to 1 bar down change the battery so it doesn't get critical. I always leave the house with a freshly charged battery in the camera and carry 2-3 spares in a little pouch that also carries a spare 1 GB memory card ( I use a 4 GB as the main) I don't shoot as many shots per day as I do with my K-5, so this has worked out fine so far. . .

Scott
11-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I think my battery life problems are directly related to my usage with long lenses and the adapter. Taking a single image with a K mount lens my Q is on about 10X as long as when I shoot with the Q Prime lens so for me 1/10 the battery life.

Hans
11-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #11
JHD
Veteran Member

I don't shoot more than 30 shots on an outing so I don't even think about it.
11-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
JHD
Veteran Member

Small camera = small battery = small power source.

You want more? Buy a bigger camera with a bigger battery.
11-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Small camera w/ big camera processor and functions = small battery = small power source.
I think you forgot something in there...

My old Panasonic has a battery that is both physically smaller and less mAh (as well as being old), but still outlasts the Q. Reason is most likely that the Q is using a lot more power per shot (bigger LCD, active SR, bigger lens to focus, distortion correction and filters, etc.).

BTW, I also think Riv got a bum battery.
11-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I think you forgot something in there...

My old Panasonic has a battery that is both physically smaller and less mAh (as well as being old), but still outlasts the Q. Reason is most likely that the Q is using a lot more power per shot (bigger LCD, active SR, bigger lens to focus, distortion correction and filters, etc.).

BTW, I also think Riv got a bum battery.
Yes, plus SR takes a lot of power, as do the processing features like the various correction modes. If you turn off the distortion correction and others, put SR on the brief setting, and use fresh batteries each outing it should last noticeably longer. That's part of why I have a Yashica Tele-Wide viewfinder on the way too.
11-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #15
Riv

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Small camera = small battery = small power source.

You want more? Buy a bigger camera with a bigger battery.
I have a K5, Thanks. My goal here is simply trying see if my camera has issues or not based on others peoples usage results.