Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: 2nd Q for You?
I own 1 Q and the original lens 2629.89%
I own 1 Q and several lenses 3439.08%
I own 2 Qs with 01 & 02 lenses 1112.64%
I own 2 Qs with 01, 02 and other lens(es) 1112.64%
I have 1 Q and another is on the way 22.30%
I own a Q and a Q10 (I like diversity)   00%
I own 2 Qs but bought the 2nd to save on the Lens and will sell the 2nd body 55.75%
I plan to keep both Qs 1011.49%
My Qs are the same color 89.20%
My Qs are different colors 44.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Sledger, I have mixed results with FP also. Some have very good luck with it. I can get results if it is a very simple subjet and scene.

Not sure how sturdy your velbon tripod is. I am always using the Q with 200 or 300mm lenses. There are ways to improve any tripod. Don't extend center column, hang weight ( say camera bag) from tripod, use spike feet in ground, etc. The Q is like a microscope, especially with big lenses.

The Pentax 55-300 is a nice combo with the Q. Why wouldn't you try yours? Had a friend struggling with the Q and adapted lenses. Bought a 55-300 and every thing is fine. Try it.

The painted adapter will likely make a big difference with your lenses. Hang in there.
thanks
barondla
I've been trying out the tripod from our telescope for the Q + Adapter + Big lens combinations. It's long flat rubberize plate that the base of the telescope sits on is useful in supporting the various components (sometimes with shims and sometimes without). It weighs 12Lbs and is designed for a small telescope so its a bit more stable than either of my photography tripods. Does seem to work better, and it makes sense because the telescope is around a 2750mm lens so the combinations with the Q have roughly the same magnification and are as subject to motion blur and vibration. This setup has the added benefit of not having a center column, which even when retracted decrease stability according to many articles. Adjustments in elevation and orientation are finer with the knobs but take longer than just using a ball head. The slot in the mounting plate allows for adjustments in position for center of gravity and balance of the combination of equipment too.

With a small 1/4 to 3/8th adapter you can even mount a tripod head to the telescope tripod's mounting plate. It's a bit odd looking but it does allow finer vertical adjustment because the telescope tripod will only elevate to 30ish degrees. You could, of course, adjust the legs to different heights to make it point higher but this tends to negate the stability so its a loss. The addition of the tripod head via a small $1 adapter ring allows for a way to compensate that does not appear to compromise the stability that these legs bring.

This one is a Celestron set of aluminum legs that costs ~$75 from Amazon. They're not the greatest in the world of astronomy but they are sturdier than any of the tripods for cameras I have used in the past few years. Back in the 70s and 80s these would have been average weight but with an odd head.

P.S. I have not tried the Q with an adapter for the telescope. The math seems to indicate that it would be a 6875mm equivalent combination.

Attached Images

Last edited by Docrwm; 01-19-2013 at 06:51 AM.
01-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
I can't figure out what '4 or 5 days' means in reality.
Wow. Maybe you could think "after 4 or 5 days of use this other person needs to swap batteries?"

How much use? Maybe 50 stills and 5 short videos a day. Much less than when I first got the Q, so it lasts longer. Do you also want to know the subjects I'm shooting, or what lenses I use?

I get that your battery doesn't last, and (from post after post) you're generally dissatisfied with your Q. However, it seems you don't want explanations or suggestions for improvement, but rather want validation that you should "bin it." Have fun with that!
01-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I took some photos of the Q with a K300 mounted via adapter on the Celestron tripod. It's very stable and allows for some fine tuning that is tough to do with a standard ball head.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo   
01-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Well, the painting was a disaster - although dried for most of yesterday and overnight, it didn't adhere to the slippery metal surface well and came off with a mere touch - so I removed it all (basically it rubbed off with my thumb like a plastic coating). Don't want to risk anything getting into the camera. Definitely don't like the idea of glue and felt!
Feedback to the manufacturer to matt the inner surface would be the sensible thing to do rather than us fiddling with DIY work-arounds to something which ought not be necessary in the first place..

Cheers

01-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Wow. Maybe you could think "after 4 or 5 days of use this other person needs to swap batteries?"

How much use? Maybe 50 stills and 5 short videos a day. Much less than when I first got the Q, so it lasts longer. Do you also want to know the subjects I'm shooting, or what lenses I use?

I get that your battery doesn't last, and (from post after post) you're generally dissatisfied with your Q. However, it seems you don't want explanations or suggestions for improvement, but rather want validation that you should "bin it." Have fun with that!
No need for sarcasm my friend, I'm just trying to understand several things.

Peace...
01-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #66
Veteran Member

I'll get a 2nd Q if the Teds deal for $199 comes around again - its come around thrice already, got one on the first, but missed 2 & 3.
01-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Yeh, I was tempted - still would be, but I don't need it. I'm tempted by Ted's $299 K-01 as well..
01-26-2013, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Well, the painting was a disaster - although dried for most of yesterday and overnight, it didn't adhere to the slippery metal surface well and came off with a mere touch - so I removed it all (basically it rubbed off with my thumb like a plastic coating). Don't want to risk anything getting into the camera. Definitely don't like the idea of glue and felt!
Feedback to the manufacturer to matt the inner surface would be the sensible thing to do rather than us fiddling with DIY work-arounds to something which ought not be necessary in the first place..

Cheers
Hi Sledger,
I just finished painting the inside of my Fotodiox OM/Q adapter. Everything went smoothly, and it turned out perfect. So, I would like to share my experience. For this project. I did the following:
  • Bought the best quality flat black (Maxx flat black) spray paint even if I would be brush painting. The best aerosols have the Danvers nozzle (usually blue) This nozzle has an adjustable tip for shooting vertical, and horizontal by turning the tiny tip.

I immerse the can in warm water because it's pretty cold this time of year. This will increase the pressure, and allow the paint to atomize better.

I removed all parts from the adapter, and sanded all surfaces I wanted to paint, with a maroon scotchbrite sanding pad to break the sheen and allow the paint to stick better.

I used compressed air to remove the sanding dust, and finished with a paper towel wipe with Prep-Sol which removes any wax, silicone, oils, etc.

Masked everything I didn't want painted flat black, and warmed the adapter on my home heating boiler so both the paint and adapter were warm.

Shook the can in an up and down motion, not rocking back and forth, for a full 1 minute

Holding the camera adapter in a Nitrile gloved hand, I sprayed a dust coat of paint to the inside, and let it dry 5 minutes.

I continued with 2 more slightly heavier coats with 5 minutes intervals till everything looked uniformly coated. Came out perfect!

If I was brush painting, I would follow the same steps, except I would spray the paint into the can cap, and apply it with an artists brush. The very thin paint in the aerosol can is much easier to apply than other paints even with a brush, and similar results to spraying are possible.

I hope this is helpful to you and others...

Lacro

01-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lacro Quote
I hope this is helpful to you and others...

Lacro
Thanks for sharing this - very helpful indeed!
01-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I took some photos of the Q with a K300 mounted via adapter on the Celestron tripod. It's very stable and allows for some fine tuning that is tough to do with a standard ball head.
This is a great idea, thanks Doc. I'll have to check out those tripods, because my only astronomical telescope has an equatorial mount good for following stellar objects, but a pain to reconfigure as a terrestrial mount! Even better would be a motorised version, to reduce vibration, but that might be gilding the lily.
01-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
This is a great idea, thanks Doc. I'll have to check out those tripods, because my only astronomical telescope has an equatorial mount good for following stellar objects, but a pain to reconfigure as a terrestrial mount! Even better would be a motorised version, to reduce vibration, but that might be gilding the lily.
Thanks, fine tuning the FoV was pretty easy with the setup.
01-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter

White Q 01/02 Kit.

I wish I could update the Poll to reflect my new reality. I now own a black Q with the 02 and a white Q with the 01. One will be my converter body and the other will be the 01/02 kit in the little Optio bag.
01-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I wish I could update the Poll to reflect my new reality. I now own a black Q with the 02 and a white Q with the 01. One will be my converter body and the other will be the 01/02 kit in the little Optio bag.
You are going to love that 01 prime!

That is the ultimate setup of which I am working toward also.
01-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Whoa you move fast! How's that equipment RIF going ?
01-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah - White Q and 01, plus an after-market leather case. There was a line salivating behind me

1st lens Pink-Slipped. Still in termination consultation. Need to get in there and bump the conversation. 6 Camera bodies in transit to Eric for once-over, then For Sale. Big lot of miscellaneous lenses and accessories.

LX stays. It is just too clean a copy to let go. 2nd Q = Cheating a bit on the 3 film / 3 digital camera rule, but the price = the lens..

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Whoa you move fast! How's that equipment RIF going ?

Last edited by monochrome; 01-29-2013 at 02:47 PM.