Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2012, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #1

Q as Travel/Street body

Hi there everyone, I shoot a K5iis, but I fancy the look of the Q10, especially with that new 80-250 f2.8. I have two questions : One, is the Q10 better than the Q in any way and Two, Would the 5-15 15- 45 or 8.5 and 15-45 be a better combo? I have seen some wonderful shots with the Q and hopefully will get it for myself this christmas, but do you ever find the iq lacking for a 1/2.3 sensor? Is the IQ comparable to an old compact, say an S95?

11-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Q10 has a bit of an upgraded sensor in it and the body is redesigned a wee bit. The 8.5 is a little gem of a lens. I'm looking forward to reviews of the new 06 Zoom but as of yet we know little about it other than its specs. I find the IQ is very solid when compared to my P&Ss but its far more flexible in use for me in many ways. The front dial is terrific and makes switching from one setting to another incredibly easy to do all day long. The adapter makes your K glass incredible telephotos, my old manual K45-125 was amazing at the Zoo.
11-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
but do you ever find the iq lacking for a 1/2.3 sensor?
You framed the question perfectly! It is a 1/2.3" sensor, and the IQ in my opinion is excellent for that sensor size. Not "excellent for all compact interchangeable lens cameras" but better than a P&S of the same size.

QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
Is the IQ comparable to an old compact, say an S95?
Oddly enough, the answer to that question is right here in this old thread. If you don't want to waste the bandwidth, the answer is; yes it is comparable, but not exceedingly better.
11-28-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
You framed the question perfectly!

Oddly enough, the answer to that question is right here in this old thread. If you don't want to waste the bandwidth, the answer is; yes it is comparable, but not exceedingly better.
FWIW: This 'old thread' began and ended about a month BEFORE the release of Firmware version 1.10. So consider it old news. FW1.10 brought huge improvements to the Q and transformed it significantly.

As to whether a post-FW1.10 Q is like another camera... I dunno. All I can say is that for me, it consistently produces at a level that's higher than its perceived class. Plus, its RAW files are easy to quickly post-process using LR4.2. In sum, Q is NOT a DSLR (K-5 to me)... it's just different and the Q10 seems to build on these differences...

...my 2 cents...M

11-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The front dial is terrific and makes switching from one setting to another incredibly easy to do all day long.
Oh how I wish that was true. What it does do very well is make me angry. It can't be used to switch AF on green button and focus peaking (which I would love for it to do). It can be used to switch the aspect ratio, or the color mode. Note "or"; it can not be used to switch both. If you don't want RAW you can do some filtering stuff with it too. But most settings are unaffected.

Or maybe it's better on the Q10? What I describe is true on the original Q, and was not how I expected it to be before buying. If it actually does give normal (useful) user modes on the Q10 I might have to buy one...
11-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
Oh how I wish that was true. What it does do very well is make me angry. It can't be used to switch AF on green button and focus peaking (which I would love for it to do). It can be used to switch the aspect ratio, or the color mode. Note "or"; it can not be used to switch both. If you don't want RAW you can do some filtering stuff with it too. But most settings are unaffected.

Or maybe it's better on the Q10? What I describe is true on the original Q, and was not how I expected it to be before buying. If it actually does give normal (useful) user modes on the Q10 I might have to buy one...
Have you explored the "Save User Settings" that can be assigned to the Q's front dial?

I've not done anything with this feature (yet ). It appears to offer a way to save a custom blend of certain settings. I would appreciate hearing from others on its pluses and minuses.

...just curious...M
11-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Have you explored the "Save User Settings" that can be assigned to the Q's front dial?

I've not done anything with this feature (yet ). It appears to offer a way to save a custom blend of certain settings. I would appreciate hearing from others on its pluses and minuses.
I think you're referring to setting the dial to "Smart Effect" (the leftmost choice) and then selecting User 1 (etc) below. Despite the name this is not a user mode in the traditional sense, it turns off raw unconditionally and only saves WB, color and filter settings. (Quite useless to me.)
11-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
Oh how I wish that was true. What it does do very well is make me angry.
The front dial doesn't make me angry, but I don't really use it that much because of the limitations you expound on. I would love to be able to have the USER mode settings of the dial remember a combination of the other options like "aspect ratio/color mode/filter effect" so I could turn a dial and get a mini-digital Rolleiflex w/ Velvia!

Alas... the options available "are what they are," and some might find them fun or useful in part or in combination. Who knows? The longer I have this, the more I'll explore what floats my boat.

11-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Actually the front dial will save up to 4 of your custom user settings (USER 1 .. 4) .. example settings:

#1 : natural tone with -2 key, +4 contrast, +2 sharpening for 03 lens
#2 : natural tone with +4 contrast, +4 sharpening for low contrast, cheap C mount surveillance lenses
#3 : BW with -2 key, +2 contrast, +2 sharpening for general b&w
#4 : Bold Monochrome setting for fun!

The manual is sparse on this, but you can totally do it!
11-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
The front dial doesn't make me angry, but I don't really use it that much because of the limitations you expound on. I would love to be able to have the USER mode settings of the dial remember a combination of the other options like "aspect ratio/color mode/filter effect" so I could turn a dial and get a mini-digital Rolleiflex w/ Velvia!
I may have exaggerated a little for dramatic effect. But really, having that dial costs Pentax for every Q made. Making it useful to me would cost them very little and only once. I can only conclude they lack the vision to imagine that the kind of people who want real user modes want a Q.

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
Actually the front dial will save up to 4 of your custom user settings (USER 1 .. 4) .. example settings:

#1 : natural tone with -2 key, +4 contrast, +2 sharpening for 03 lens
#2 : natural tone with +4 contrast, +4 sharpening for low contrast, cheap C mount surveillance lenses
#3 : BW with -2 key, +2 contrast, +2 sharpening for general b&w
#4 : Bold Monochrome setting for fun!

The manual is sparse on this, but you can totally do it!
And if it didn't force JPEG-only when using this I might actually have a bit of use for it. (But as already said I care much more about settings that can't be changed here.)

If I could, I would have something like this:

#0 No AF, peaking.
#1 AF on green button, peaking.
#2 AF on half press, no peaking.
#3 No AF, peaking, BW.
#4 Some silly effect maybe. (But only if it didn't turn off RAW.)
11-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
For me it would be:
#0 - Raw, AF
#1 - Raw, AF, 4x view
#2 - Raw, MF
#3 - Raw, MF, 4x view

Surely this would just need a firmware change rather than being some hardware limitation.