Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #16
AOX
Inactive Account

Very nice! I'm very curious how a Portrait would look like with this lens Would be a great and funny experience to do a whole Photo shooting with only the Pentax Q

11-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AOX Quote
Very nice! I'm very curious how a Portrait would look like with this lens Would be a great and funny experience to do a whole Photo shooting with only the Pentax Q
Let's send one (with a Q) to Benjikan. He'll probably shoot some supermodels with it, and then make jokes about "feeling inadequate" due to lens/sensor size.
11-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Thiefsie Quote
Does this lens (and the 02 for that matter) have the ND build in like the 01?
Yes, all three premium lenses have the built in ND filter. The 06 is a wonderful lens for Q owners. My next step is trying it with closeup filters for macro photography.

Thanks to all the well wishers, the bug has departed and I am feeling fine.
Thanks
barondla
11-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

How is the build quality of this lens? I have seen some pictures of it with plastic lens mount and some with a metal mount.

11-29-2012, 12:43 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't wait to get my hands on this lens! Great write up by the way. Would also love to do some portrait shots with this lens for lovely compression.
11-29-2012, 02:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

WANT!- 01 Prime, This and the fish eye make for a great all round kit!
11-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
How is the build quality of this lens? I have seen some pictures of it with plastic lens mount and some with a metal mount.
I know what you're talking about... I think the prototype may have have been plastic but I can confirm that It has a metal mount (mine arrived yesterday.) It is of the same build quality as the 01 & 02 lenses. Nicely dampened zoom ring. Interestingly (at least to me) is that once you move the lens from its compact "storage" setting it does not extend any further when moving through the zoom range which keeps the lens very compact for what it is!

I've been very happy with the lens so far though I've only had a little time with it. Seems sharp at 2.8 all the way through and you really get a nice visual "pop" on focused items at the 45mm length. I will try to update with a photo example or two a little later.
11-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #23
Pentaxian

thanks for the review but i'm going to resist and hold out for primes

11-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Mine came today. My bad for not reading the secondary specs but minimum focus distance and max magnification are a little disappointing. The long end of the 02 zoom offers a lot more magnification than this or the 01 Prime.

I like that once lens is extended from 'storage' position it is constant length. As others have already noted, I can confirm that apparent build quality appears to be similar to 01 an 02. It feels noticeably lighter in hand vs. the 02, nearly as light as the 01. I guess there's a little less glass, a little more air. I think AF might be a little slower than the 02, at least in the low light I was playing in.

I'm glad to finally have this lens -- I really thought this should have been in Pentax's initial Q offerings, as it provides an advantage that the fixed lens compacts can't match -- most only have short zooms or slow zooms -- precious few have a fast tele zoom. One thing gives me a little pause though -- this tiny little plastic lens was $300...and I'm thinking this is in part because of the in-lens motor, ND filter, and leaf shutter. We end up re-purchasing these for each lens...and some of us will be ponying up yet again for a proper shutter in the Q=>K adapter.

Now I need to find something to carry this neat little kit in...
11-30-2012, 05:39 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Thanks for the review.

On second thoughts.... no thanks....

Now I'm torn between saving up for the adapter or the 06.
11-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
thanks for the review.

On second thoughts.... No thanks....

now i'm torn between saving up for the adapter or the 06.
06 . . .
11-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #27
Riv

Photos: Albums
Anyone else get dead one?

No AF, can't even manual focus.... The Q body manual focus assist isn't reacting to turning the focus ring. Just flatout dead. Double checked the body and everything works with the 02 and 01 attached.

Can't evening report to B&H until Sunday afternoon. Was surprised how it was packed, the 06 and shoulder bag, no packing material other than the reciept

EDIT: Hmmm... Now I'm scared, after taking the lens on and off several times in testing it suddenly starts working.

EDIT2: Now AF is won't work, makes a faint buzzing noise, but it will manual focus. Guess this is going back next week. Sometimes I hate Friday deliveries.

Last edited by Riv; 11-30-2012 at 02:51 PM.
11-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Riv Quote
Anyone else get dead one?

No AF, can't even manual focus.... The Q body manual focus assist isn't reacting to turning the focus ring. Just flatout dead. Double checked the body and everything works with the 02 and 01 attached.

Can't evening report to B&H until Sunday afternoon. Was surprised how it was packed, the 06 and shoulder bag, no packing material other than the reciept

EDIT: Hmmm... Now I'm scared, after taking the lens on and off several times in testing it suddenly starts working.

EDIT2: Now AF is won't work, makes a faint buzzing noise, but it will manual focus. Guess this is going back next week. Sometimes I hate Friday deliveries.
Sorry you got a bad lens. B&H are usually pretty good about returns. You can contact them after sundown tomorrow (Saturday 5:45 PM EST) as the Sabbath runs sundown-to-sundown.
11-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #29
Riv

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sorry you got a bad lens. B&H are usually pretty good about returns. You can contact them after sundown tomorrow (Saturday 5:45 PM EST) as the Sabbath runs sundown-to-sundown.
Thanks, but I thought the recording said to call back ...blaa blaa blaa.. rattled off their hours, then said Sunday after 1pm. I guess it doesn't matter, nothing can happen until Monday anyway. One of the draws backs about living in this area, none of camera stores around here carry Pentax anymore. So forced to mail order. Actually I think there's only one camera shop left inside of 20 miles away, which is pretty sad for a metropolitan area.
11-30-2012, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #30

Sounds like you got a bad lens...sorry to hear that. I just received mine from B&H as well, came in a small shipping box. Everything seems to work fine. Autofocus seems a tad slow (indoor lighting)...I wonder how sturdy the lens is going to be, it turns "on" after you move it from the dot to the 15 mark...hopefully it doesn't loosen over time. It's surprisingly a little lighter than the 02 lens too...weighed it on my food scale and it's about 3.5 oz vs 3.75 oz for the 02 lens (both caps on). Another thing I noticed is the focus ring doesn't seem as well damped on the 06 as the 02 lens..at least if I "pinch" it it seems to deform a little bit, although it doesn't seem to adversely affect the focusing or movement at all. It just seems a little loose...i'm not sure if this is normal. That being said, i've been practicing handheld shots and the pictures are super sharp and crisp on both ends of the zoom. Incidentally i'm noticing that Amazon has dropped the 06 lens price even lower now...(but still out of stock)...oh well, I couldn't wait to get this lens, had to have it now! I absolutely love the output so far. With all of the deals on the Q+02 right now, i'm so tempted to buy another body/lens LOL. I just absolutely love this camera to bits.