Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Need a hood for my Q. Also have to get my LBA under control. Just got the Rokinon 85mm f1.4 for my K-01 which I wasn't planning on getting till next year and now I'm looking at this lens.

Can anyone recommend the Fotodiox Pro Angle Lens Hood Sun Shade? Seems like the most economical choice at the moment. The pics show it on the 02 Zoom lens. I'm guessing it's also compatible with the 01 Prime but I figured I'd ask that too.

12-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Need a hood for my Q. Also have to get my LBA under control. Just got the Rokinon 85mm f1.4 for my K-01 which I wasn't planning on getting till next year and now I'm looking at this lens.

Can anyone recommend the Fotodiox Pro Angle Lens Hood Sun Shade? Seems like the most economical choice at the moment. The pics show it on the 02 Zoom lens. I'm guessing it's also compatible with the 01 Prime but I figured I'd ask that too.
The Samyang 85 is an excellent lens IMHO. Its tough to focus quickly but in situations where you have time its a terrific lens in nearly every way. Congratulations.

I looked at that hood but decided against it for two reasons - its got vents and any stray light defeats the purpose of a hood and it will not reverse. The JJC LH-SBA40.5 (Q 02) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database hood reverses and is solid so it maximizes the IQ of the lens. I also really like the JJC LH-RA40.5 Hood reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database for the 01 Prime lens now that I have pinch caps for it.
12-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
It's also out of stock at Adorama. I'm waiting till after the holidays myself as I simply have to get the LBA under control.

Does anyone know, can one use the same hood as on the 01 Prime?
Same here - need to take a breath after all the great deals we've had in Pentax land the past few weeks.

I did some research on the hoods. As Doc says, the standard hood for the prime is a small vented one - available both from Pentax and a couple third party manufacturer's.

The hood is the same for the 02 and 06 zoom. The Pentax unit is an PH-RBA 40.4 - here is the link from B&H - for some reason when looking at the photo of the hood there the model number says PH-SBA 40.5, and also in the description it says for both 01 and 02 lenses - a little confusing:

Pentax 40.5mm Lens Hood 38774 B&H Photo Video

I had one like this in my watch list on ebay - again the model number of the genuine Pentax seems to have changed to PH-SBA 40.5

JJC Lens Hood for Pentax Ph SBA 40 5 SMC 5 15mm F2 8 4 5 Ed Al If Lens | eBay

At any rate, I did verify in my research the the same hood will work for the 02 and 06 lenses. I'm pretty sure the 01 prime should use a different hood.
12-17-2012, 06:03 PM - 2 Likes   #49
Site Supporter

I have the 02 and 06 zooms, and the hood (seen here being used as a stand for the 02). It fits both.
The 01 has a screw-in metal hood like the DA40 limited. It's rather sexy.

12-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I have the 02 and 06 zooms, and the hood (seen here being used as a stand for the 02). It fits both.

Nice photo of your Q-gear!

The Q10 looks a wee bit bigger than the Q. Is that really the case in use or just a perspective issue?
12-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #51
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The Q10 looks a wee bit bigger than the Q. Is that really the case in use or just a perspective issue?
Yes, the Q-10 is a wee bit bigger, essentially just due to the little convexities on the sides. Because of that, and the more sculptured grip, it feels much better in my meaty fists.
12-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #52
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Looking forward to ordering this lens very soon. It is currently out of stock at Amazon (gift card credit is with them and I'm a Prime member) but I think I will placing my order in the next day or so all the same. Interested in using this lens for portraits and some street photography mostly. Somehow I can always justify buying stuff for the Q. Probably because I love it so much!
Just got back in stock at B&H:

Pentax Adapter Q for K-mount Lenses 39977 B&H Photo Video

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
...The hood is the same for the 02 and 06 zoom. The Pentax unit is an PH-RBA 40.4 - here is the link from B&H - for some reason when looking at the photo of the hood there the model number says PH-SBA 40.5, and also in the description it says for both 01 and 02 lenses - a little confusing:
Yes, a bit confusing. I don't think the hood for the 02 and 06 are the same. I just received my 06 today and the enclosed 'manual' shows the optional hood is a PH-RBA 40.5mm. Pentax line drawings are usually pretty accurate, and the hood is definitly cylindrical, as opposed to the 02's PH-SBA 40.5, which has flattish sides. The PH-RBA is also about 50% deeper, (longer), than the PH-SBA. That makes sense as one is for wide angle to short telephoto and the other is short telephoto to long telephoto. One of the hits of a Google search for 'PH-RBA' was for a European Pentax press release. It specified the PH-RBA as the hood for the 06. The pentaximaging.com web site specifies the PH-SBA is the hood for the 02 and the PH-RBA as being the hood for the 06.

Now ... where to get a PH-RBA 40.5 clone. Still too new for the Chinese patent ignorers to copy one.

12-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote

Now ... where to get a PH-RBA 40.5 clone. Still too new for the Chinese patent ignorers to copy one.
I'm going to assume that JJC will produce a clone for the 06 zoom. It took a while for them to introduce the 01 and 02 hoods, and I'm thinking that the 06 zoom is turning out to be a pretty good seller since it's been being delivered for a while now, and is still seems to be in short supply in the US.

It's hard to imagine that it isn't selling well -- a tiny constant aperture f2.8 80-250 EQ lens for under $300 USD. . . I was an early Q adopter, and I went through a couple of hoods for the 01 and 02 in the months before the JJC clones became available. I'm just going to use the JJC 02 hood on my 06 in the meantime -- I don't shoot that much in the winter outdoors where I'd need the longer length for flare protection, and indoors, it should serve well enough for front element physical protection.

Scott
12-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #55
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yep. Mine's on the way
12-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #56

Manual Focus of the 06

I just received my 06. I am very impressed.

I noted some peculiarities of the lens that I had some questions about.

1) I had the Q set up with focus peaking and MF assist on. AF mode. When I moved the zoom ring, the camera immediately went into MF assist. I suppose the focus ring also moved. I turned off MF assist.

2) I will be attending a concert soon and will be taking some theater pics with the 06. I do not want to have the Q cycling through different focus points since it may not have enough contrast to lock focus.

I know I can set the Q into manual focus mode. Is there a way to preset the Q with 06 to preset to infinity focus?

The manual does not describe what the display indicator means in MF mode.

(you can with the GXR (P10) and it is one of the best features of the GXR. It is one of the reasons I would love a Q module for the GXR...)
12-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

Just waiting for this lens to get back in stock at Amazon then I'll probably pull the trigger. Not in any huge hurry though. The wait at least gives me some time to accrue more gift cards so I won't have to come out of pocket too much.
12-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #58
Veteran Member

OK folks - try to help me out - decision time weather to get the 06 lens or not.

I bought my Q as a kit with the 02 lens. The 02 did very well I feel for a "kit" lens, but my problem is that I now compare every camera/lens/image to my DA* lenses on my K-5. This makes buying anything at all and being happy with it very difficult.

I sold my 02 lens as that was my original plan - to just use the Q with the adapter with my 300mm lens for the extreme distance wildlife shooting. So far in my testing I am pleased with that setup.

But now, I have the itch to try the 06 zoom lens, but just not sure I will be happy with it. When looking back through the images I took with the Q and 02 lens, I find them satisfactory, but don't get that "wow" out of them. As I get to thinking about this (too much time to think!), I wonder if the images just being satisfactory has to do with the 02 lens or simply because of the small sensor.

So, it now boils down to one question more or less - is the 06 lens better IQ wise than the 02? I know the 06 lens is relatively new, but it would really help if I could view some comparison images of the same subject with both lenses.
12-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #59
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

Hi Sandy.
Nice little setup you've got there.

I too, like a lot of other folks on this thread, consider getting the 06 lens for the Q.
I already have the 01 + 02 (the 02 which I might sell) and I would like to know what exactly is this nice looking hood on the 01 ? Is it the one that screws in and then "slides out"?
Also, you show that the same hood can be used for the 02 and 06 lens ?

Where did you get all of those hoods?

Cheers!

JP
12-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Well couldn't stand it any more - B&H has the 06 lens for $273.30 with free overnight shipping - pulled the trigger!

Now on to the quest for the proper hood for this lens. The model number is PH-RBA 40.5 which no vendors seem to have. Even on the Pentax Imaging site they don't show it. I saw on another forum where someone bought a hood on ebay, but it is threaded - I am thinking that the Pentax hood would be bayonet mount so that you can reverse it for storage.

Metal Lens Hood for 40 5mm Filter Thread Tele Lens MH 40 5T | eBay

Here is a photo of the Pentax hood:

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:14 AM.