Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi Stan,

Congrats on ordering the 06 at a good price. I got $10 off when I ordered it through my B&M dealer, and was happy. The lens is a good one, I think you'll be happy with it. It is rather slow focusing indoors though. . . Pentax did come out with firmware updates for the 01 and 02 lenses that increased focusing speed, so hopefully we'll get one for the 06 also. . .

I'm currently using the JJC clone 02 (LH-SBA40.5) hood on my 06 -- the bayonet fits and though I realize that it's probably going to be too short for flare control at the long end, I don't foresee that as being too much of a problem because my main use will be for candids indoors until it gets warm out again. For indoor use, the short hood will do fine for front lens element protection.

When the Q came out, JJC took a couple of months to offer the clones, I think it will be the same for their clone of the 06 hood, if they decide to offer it. The Pentax 06 hood is likely to be as outrageously priced as their hoods for the 01 and 02, if not moreso.

I have a couple of screw in hoods for the 01 and 02 sitting in a drawer because i bought them before I knew that clones of the OEM designs would become available. Bottom line, I prefer the OEM style hoods by quite a margin because they're a lot more convenient. I assume that the RBA hood for the 06 will be a bayonet mt, reverse store and just be a lot more convenient. I can wait. ..

Scott

12-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks very much for the info Scott!

Yes, it is important to me also to have the proper hood. I really don't want one that is screw on.

I do very little indoor shooting, but as you say, we are a couple months from being outside to do any serious shooting. I will also await the proper hood - hopefully JJC will come through.

In the meantime I'll keep a search going for the genuine Pentax hood. I know it will likely be way too expensive for what it is, but it will give us something for comparison on price and mount.

And yes, I was quite surprised that B&H has discounted the lens already - that and the free shipping pushed me over the edge!
12-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Thanks very much for the info Scott!

Yes, it is important to me also to have the proper hood. I really don't want one that is screw on.

I do very little indoor shooting, but as you say, we are a couple months from being outside to do any serious shooting. I will also await the proper hood - hopefully JJC will come through.

In the meantime I'll keep a search going for the genuine Pentax hood. I know it will likely be way too expensive for what it is, but it will give us something for comparison on price and mount.

And yes, I was quite surprised that B&H has discounted the lens already - that and the free shipping pushed me over the edge!

Congratulations Stan. That's a mighty attractive lens you've got - great range and f2.8 throughout it, and it's still so small. Enjoy your Christmas present!
12-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Congratulations Stan. That's a mighty attractive lens you've got - great range and f2.8 throughout it, and it's still so small. Enjoy your Christmas present!
Thanks Doc - I didn't even think of it as being a Christmas present until you said something - and it will arrive on the 24th due to the free overnight shipping!

12-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Thanks Doc - I didn't even think of it as being a Christmas present until you said something - and it will arrive on the 24th due to the free overnight shipping!
I look forward to your impressions once you have time to use it. You've gotten some rather nice new toys this week. My wife got an email from here about possible Christmas gifts (she has an account to which she has never posted) and I understand that I am getting one or two of Adam's suggestions for Christmas. Since none of the things I wanted are on the list with the possible exception of the K-5IIs (which I can not justify to myself) I am sure I'll be surprised. The 06 and that new tripod are very nice. It would be interesting to see that little Q on that huge tripod with the gimble mount.
12-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I look forward to your impressions once you have time to use it. You've gotten some rather nice new toys this week. My wife got an email from here about possible Christmas gifts (she has an account to which she has never posted) and I understand that I am getting one or two of Adam's suggestions for Christmas. Since none of the things I wanted are on the list with the possible exception of the K-5IIs (which I can not justify to myself) I am sure I'll be surprised. The 06 and that new tripod are very nice. It would be interesting to see that little Q on that huge tripod with the gimble mount.
Well that is nice that your wife is looking at Adam's Christmas gift list. My wife kind of gets mad at me especially when trying to buy Christmas or Birthday gifts as I tend to just buy what I want when I want. And she knows better than to just guess when it comes to photographic equipment which I am glad for! She usually just ends up asking me what to get, but she gets frustrated since she can't surprise me. One such item arrived from Adorama yesterday - made her wrap it and put it under the tree before I opened the box.

Image of the Q on the Manfrotto beast and gimbal - I already have that planned - will probably have to wait for spring time for a proper photo outdoors, Too bad I don't have a pancake lens like the 40 XS to put on it for the photo.
12-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That eBay lens hood is the exact length as the Pentax OEM hood. Only difference is that is is a screw-on hood and cannot be reversed for storage. Can't beat the price, however. Do not purchase based on this info, but I think a 58mm snap-on lens cap will fit on the front of the hood. I haven't tried it myself yet. We can expect our friends in the orient to clone the OEM hood in due time. Until then, the metal screw-on hood will work fine.

12-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Well that is nice that your wife is looking at Adam's Christmas gift list. My wife kind of gets mad at me especially when trying to buy Christmas or Birthday gifts as I tend to just buy what I want when I want. And she knows better than to just guess when it comes to photographic equipment which I am glad for! She usually just ends up asking me what to get, but she gets frustrated since she can't surprise me. One such item arrived from Adorama yesterday - made her wrap it and put it under the tree before I opened the box.

Image of the Q on the Manfrotto beast and gimbal - I already have that planned - will probably have to wait for spring time for a proper photo outdoors, Too bad I don't have a pancake lens like the 40 XS to put on it for the photo.
Well, your wife could get you one of those K-01 kits.........
01-19-2013, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello-
I just got the 06 yesterday. Now I have 2 qs, the 01, 02 and 06 lenses and the Fotodiox adaptor. The 06 cost me more than either camera
with the 01 and 02 lenses but I'm very glad I got it. Here is an out of camera jpg at full zoom of this man's best friend.
Attached Images

Last edited by mepaca; 01-19-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: image did not appear
01-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just ordered an 06 too... should be here mid week...

Pat
01-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #71
Riv

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
That eBay lens hood is the exact length as the Pentax OEM hood. Only difference is that is is a screw-on hood and cannot be reversed for storage. Can't beat the price, however. Do not purchase based on this info, but I think a 58mm snap-on lens cap will fit on the front of the hood. I haven't tried it myself yet. We can expect our friends in the orient to clone the OEM hood in due time. Until then, the metal screw-on hood will work fine.
Would this be fast enough for ya? OEM 06 Clone | Ebay

Edit: Just noticed you posted that last month...
01-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Riv Quote
Would this be fast enough for ya? OEM 06 Clone | Ebay

Edit: Just noticed you posted that last month...
Since this thread is primarily for the 06 lens, I thought I would post a link to the thread about the new JJC hood:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/212044-06-tele-zoom-hood-clone.h...ood-clone.html
06-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Bad link (doubled)
Try this
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/212044-06-tele-zoom-hood-clone.html