Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
12-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #31
Pentaxian

The Q really is an amazingly easy camera to fall in love with. Just way too much fun literally in the palm of your hand! Will probably end up getting the 06 from Amazon as I have most of my credit stored up over there and you gotta love Prime.

12-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My 06 is in transit from B&H, along with a Q-10 and 02
Nice to see the IQ is as good as hoped.
12-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #33

Would you recommend it over the 02 Standard Zoom? I have to decide if I want the Telephoto or the Zoom.
12-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Taylor14 Quote
Would you recommend it over the 02 Standard Zoom? I have to decide if I want the Telephoto or the Zoom.
Hard to necessarily choose one or the other FOR YOU, since the covered range of focal lengths is mostly different. I think it should go without saying that the 06 is a better choice for 16-45mm and 02 is your go-to for 5-14mm. (except for maybe 8.5mm)

Given this, I'd think the usefulness of the focal length/angle-of-view to YOUR photography would be the first consideration.

Without doing a close comparison of optical performance at long end of 02 vs 06, a few other considerations come to mind:

1. 02 is much closer focusing, significantly higher magnification than the 01 or 06
2. The 06 is ~1 1/3 stops faster than the long end of the 02. In addition to the obvious benefits of allowing slightly higher shutter speeds, lower ISO, and/or a little more DoF control, with the Q's tiny sensor, the effects of diffraction may already be affecting ultimate IQ even at wider apertures so it's conceivable 06 might better 02 at apertures wider than f/4.5.

This ultimate resolution potential though may be affected by other factors like focusing distance so different applications may favor one or the other -- we'll have to see when we can get better comparison tests.

Hope this helps.

12-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
Hard to necessarily choose one or the other FOR YOU, since the covered range of focal lengths is mostly different. I think it should go without saying that the 06 is a better choice for 16-45mm and 02 is your go-to for 5-14mm. (except for maybe 8.5mm)

Given this, I'd think the usefulness of the focal length/angle-of-view to YOUR photography would be the first consideration.

Without doing a close comparison of optical performance at long end of 02 vs 06, a few other considerations come to mind:

1. 02 is much closer focusing, significantly higher magnification than the 01 or 06
2. The 06 is ~1 1/3 stops faster than the long end of the 02. In addition to the obvious benefits of allowing slightly higher shutter speeds, lower ISO, and/or a little more DoF control, with the Q's tiny sensor, the effects of diffraction may already be affecting ultimate IQ even at wider apertures so it's conceivable 06 might better 02 at apertures wider than f/4.5.

This ultimate resolution potential though may be affected by other factors like focusing distance so different applications may favor one or the other -- we'll have to see when we can get better comparison tests.

Hope this helps.
One other thought -- if you're into adapting lenses, there are a lot more choices that will function as telephoto angle-of-view on a Q than wide angle, where there are relatively few high-quality alternatives to the 02.
12-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote

Hope this helps.
Thanks that helped. I ordered the 06 Telephoto because that lens just seemed more exciting. The 02 Standard Zoom just seemed like another lens. But I have never had a Telephoto. I can't wait!
12-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hope to see some shots with this lens here or on one of the other Q threads. I have to slow down on the LBA for a while, but the 06 is at the top of my list.

12-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Taylor14 Quote
Thanks that helped. I ordered the 06 Telephoto because that lens just seemed more exciting. The 02 Standard Zoom just seemed like another lens. But I have never had a Telephoto. I can't wait!
I bought my Q primarily for using my long lenses with the adapter. Of course I had to give the 02 zoom a try, and I pretty much have the same feelings as you about it.

I held off a long time before buying a Q mostly because I know myself all too well having a really bad LBA. I was going to buy the kit, sell the kit lens, and just have the body for my long lenses. But......now I am intrigued with the 06 lens and really want to try it out. But if I do, I will likely sell the 02 lens.

Wait a minute.....I was just going to keep the body...........
12-11-2012, 05:05 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I bought my Q primarily for using my long lenses with the adapter. Of course I had to give the 02 zoom a try, and I pretty much have the same feelings as you about it.

I held off a long time before buying a Q mostly because I know myself all too well having a really bad LBA. I was going to buy the kit, sell the kit lens, and just have the body for my long lenses. But......now I am intrigued with the 06 lens and really want to try it out. But if I do, I will likely sell the 02 lens.

O man. You do have a LBA!
12-11-2012, 05:25 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Stan,

Another case of Q fever?
12-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Stan,

Another case of Q fever?
Yeah......LBA all over again. This is why when I bought my Fuji camera I made sure it was one with a fixed lens!

Anyway, I now want to try the 06 lens, but I really hate paying full price being the lens is new to the market. I really struggle with this kind of stuff......and then there is the genuine Q-K adapter.........

My main intention for buying the Q is to use with my FA* 300 lens - but that won't happen much until the weather changes in ~4-5 months. In the meantime I can't help just picking the Q up and playing with it.

Oh well - off to see if there might be any kind of deal on an 06 lens somewhere........
12-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah......LBA all over again. This is why when I bought my Fuji camera I made sure it was one with a fixed lens!

Anyway, I now want to try the 06 lens, but I really hate paying full price being the lens is new to the market. I really struggle with this kind of stuff......and then there is the genuine Q-K adapter.........

My main intention for buying the Q is to use with my FA* 300 lens - but that won't happen much until the weather changes in ~4-5 months. In the meantime I can't help just picking the Q up and playing with it.

Oh well - off to see if there might be any kind of deal on an 06 lens somewhere........
That is so very true !! Another case of LBA getting this Q!
I tried convincing myself that the Q kit I bought (01 and 02 lenses) would be plenty enough: not !!

Now comes this fantastic adapter, the 06 lens ... what else ? Scary !

JP
12-17-2012, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #43
Inactive Account

I received my 06 on Saturday & have only tried it around the house so far, but I think this is a terrific lens.

Example below using Auto & in -camera HDR
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
12-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Looking forward to ordering this lens very soon. It is currently out of stock at Amazon (gift card credit is with them and I'm a Prime member) but I think I will placing my order in the next day or so all the same. Interested in using this lens for portraits and some street photography mostly. Somehow I can always justify buying stuff for the Q. Probably because I love it so much!
12-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Looking forward to ordering this lens very soon. It is currently out of stock at Amazon (gift card credit is with them and I'm a Prime member) but I think I will placing my order in the next day or so all the same. Interested in using this lens for portraits and some street photography mostly. Somehow I can always justify buying stuff for the Q. Probably because I love it so much!
It's also out of stock at Adorama. I'm waiting till after the holidays myself as I simply have to get the LBA under control.

Does anyone know, can one use the same hood as on the 01 Prime?