Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2012, 06:45 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 06 15-45 zoom arrives- mini review & pics

Lens arrived at the B&M Monday. I was sick and it was raining so this took a little longer to post. Had a chance to shoot it a few hours today.

The lens is close to the size of the 02 5-15 zoom when collapsed and about 1/2" or so longer when extended. Turning the zoom ring locks the optics in place and retires the warning message on the lcd screen. To collapse the lens for storage turn from 45 to 15 and then to the black dot. Easy, fast, and no akward lock to mess with.

The lens construction is similar to the 01 8,5 prime and 02 5-15 zoom. All three lenses use the same 40.5 filter thread, and have leaf shutters built in. It is nice to use a telephoto lens on the Q with autofocus. Very nice.

Shooting

The lens focuses well and is pretty zippy. It doesn't match the speed of the 01. In some ways it is an easier lens to shoot than the 02 5-15 zoom. A constant F2.8 aperture has to help AF, and definetly allows shooting in lower light.

Didn't see any CA when shooting problem situations like trees against sky. Pentax has done a great job banishing the purple fringe. No post processing required.

Zoom has nice detail and contrast thru out the range. Even wide open at F2.8 and 45mm the lens is sharp! This lens can turn out great images wide open.

Lens fights flare well. It has a bayonet fitting for an optional lens hood. I rarely shoot without a proper hood. The round hood is Pentax #PH-RBA 40.5.

At 45mm the lens focuses decently close at approx 3ft. Pentax rates the maximum magnification at 0.05X. I wish this was a little closer. Of course, I wish all of my lenses, including the DFA100 macro focused closer. It usually has a 25mm extension tube mounted to it.

Conclusion

This is an extremely good lens! The optics are first rate, and it is a joy to use. Pentax did a wonderful job designing and building this 14 (3 low dispersion) element lens. Can't imagine many Q owners resisting this lens for the price it sells for.

The lens justifies the whole Q system. No other camera system has managed to make telephoto lenses that fit in a shirt pocket! Not APS-c, M4/3, nor Nikon N1. They all fail to be truly small for telephoto shooters. The Pentax Q 06 does this and goes two better, adding F2.8 and constant aperture. The Q/Q10 body with a F2.8 lens is about the same size as a can of soda, and weighs less! If you can pick up a can of Coke you can shoot this beautiful combo. Well done Pentax. Pentax Q is already the best selling interchangeable lens camera in Japan. It is only going to get worse for those other mirrorless companies now.

thanks
barondla ( going to shoot the 06 some more).

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Last edited by barondla; 11-27-2012 at 07:01 PM.
11-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To develop a constant-aperture fast tele zoom shows a commitment to quality for the Q system -- glad to see that your preliminary tests show the lens lives up to the promise. Also to hear that the size is similar to the 02. [Sigh], there goes another $300!
11-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Lens arrived at the B&M Monday. I was sick and it was raining so this took a little longer to post. Had a chance to shoot it a few hours today.

The lens is close to the size of the 02 5-15 zoom when collapsed and about 1/2" or so longer when extended. Turning the zoom ring locks the optics in place and retires the warning message on the lcd screen. To collapse the lens for storage turn from 45 to 15 and then to the black dot. Easy, fast, and no akward lock to mess with.

The lens construction is similar to the 01 8,5 prime and 02 5-15 zoom. All three lenses use the same 40.5 filter thread, and have leaf shutters built in. It is nice to use a telephoto lens on the Q with autofocus. Very nice.

Shooting

The lens focuses well and is pretty zippy. It doesn't match the speed of the 01. In some ways it is an easier lens to shoot than the 02 5-15 zoom. A constant F2.8 aperture has to help AF, and definetly allows shooting in lower light.

Didn't see any CA when shooting problem situations like trees against sky. Pentax has done a great job banishing the purple fringe. No post processing required.

Zoom has nice detail and contrast thru out the range. Even wide open at F2.8 and 45mm the lens is sharp! This lens can turn out great images wide open.

Lens fights flare well. It has a bayonet fitting for an optional lens hood. I rarely shoot without a proper hood. The round hood is Pentax #PH-RBA 40.5.

At 45mm the lens focuses decently close at approx 3ft. Pentax rates the maximum magnification at 0.05X. I wish this was a little closer. Of course, I wish all of my lenses, including the DFA100 macro focused closer. It usually has a 25mm extension tube mounted to it.

Conclusion

This is an extremely good lens! The optics are first rate, and it is a joy to use. Pentax did a wonderful job designing and building this 14 (3 low dispersion) element lens. Can't imagine many Q owners resisting this lens for the price it sells for.

The lens justifies the whole Q system. No other camera system has managed to make telephoto lenses that fit in a shirt pocket! Not APS-c, M4/3, nor Nikon N1. They all fail to be truly small for telephoto shooters. The Pentax Q 06 does this and goes two better, adding F2.8 and constant aperture. The Q/Q10 body with a F2.8 lens is about the same size as a can of soda, and weighs less! If you can pick up a can of Coke you can shoot this beautiful. combo. Well done Pentax. Pentax Q is already the best selling interchangeable lens camera in Japan. It is only going to get worse for those other mirrorless companies now.

thanks
barondla ( going to shoot the 06 some more).
Huggghhhhh ...... .... this means, you know: LBA-round-two (for me) !

Great post! This lens is like having a full size zoom in one's pocket!

I hope you feel better too.

JP
11-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

GREAT POST. Thanks for taking the time to write it up for all of us. The LBA kitty is empty right now though........

11-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sexy sexy... I'm tempted...
11-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
GREAT POST. Thanks for taking the time to write it up for all of us. The LBA kitty is empty right now though........
Christmas is around though !

JP
11-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Christmas is around though !

JP
It is, but then I never know what to ask for from Santa.

11-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi barondla,

There was never any question that I would buy this lens, but knowing it's a very good one makes that so much better!

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Now all I have to do is wait for my B&M store to get one. . .You're lucky -- your guy seems to have the right connection with Pentax.

Hope you feel better!

Scott
11-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ugh. Just what I need. I have no more money. Thank goodness Adorama still doesn't have my Q Adapter in stock yet to ship out. I need to recover after the DA*50-135s I bought on Black Friday. I picked up two, and now I need to recharge a bit. Thanks for the write up!
11-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for this! It's on my list.
11-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #11

Does this lens (and the 02 for that matter) have the ND build in like the 01?

Thanks for the quick write up - definitely on my wishlist...
11-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #12

Oh-ho. thanks for your swift review barondla. Get well soon and take more pics with it pls!!
11-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the review Barondla, the pics look great. Will have to start saving my change again.
11-28-2012, 06:00 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I need to recover after the DA*50-135s I bought on Black Friday. I picked up two
TWO! Wow. Sounds like something I would do.
thanks
barondla
11-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
TWO! Wow. Sounds like something I would do.
thanks
barondla
Yep. With Pentax you always have to strike when the Iron is hot.
Besides, the husband shoots with a K30 and there is no way I am going to "share".
It never works out that two Pentax users can share lenses on an outing.