Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #1

Pentax Q for $289 in Canada

I just purchased the Q with 01 lens at Henry's for $289 + tax. Pretty good deal.

However, this is the 2nd time I've purchased a camera from them (the first time in-store, the 2nd time online) and after testing the shuttercount, discovered I had a used camera.
The first time I let it go, as it was possible it was missed as a mistake.

The 2nd time, however, I called to speak to customer service to set up a return, and mentioned that this was the second time I'd wound up with a used camera from them. His response was basically that it's common practice to put used cameras back out for sale. When someone returns a camera to them, they test it out and if it looks good enough to put back on the shelf, they do. No indication that it's been used, or that it's an open-box item. I found that to be pretty alarming, since the 2nd person is still paying full price for a camera and who knows how it was treated while in the hands of the first user.

On a related note, I also purchased the Q for my mom with the 02 Zoom lens (for Christmas) from newegg.ca, also for $289. Not only did it arrive ahead of schedule, it was packaged very well and the shutter count was 1 when first tested. (*sigh of relief*).

So! If you're planning on taking advantage of the sale price at Henry's, be warned you may well end up with a camera body that has been tested out for a few days by someone else.

11-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the head's up! (At least you got to speak to someone in customer service at Henry's. That alone is a rare thing, in my experience.)

I bought my original Q from Carman's Foto Source (ProDigital2000 on eBay) and my "backup Q" with the 02 Zoom from Newegg.ca. They were both new!
11-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having followed the Pentax Q pricing closely the last couple of months there (Henry's), I can say that they were pretty clear (at least to me) about the Open Box condition of those that were priced at $289 - that being said, they were still offering full warranty.
11-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Got the camera today delivered from Henrys; the box and content looks like its been opened. The battery is already charged although the camera is reset to default. I took one shot and try to find out the actuation count using Photome, but it is not in there. Anyone has the Q and are you able to check the actuation count? Thx..

----------
the LCD has a few finger prints already...

Last edited by aleonx3; 11-29-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: added more info
11-30-2012, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Having followed the Pentax Q pricing closely the last couple of months there (Henry's), I can say that they were pretty clear (at least to me) about the Open Box condition of those that were priced at $289 - that being said, they were still offering full warranty.
There was never any indication made that the cameras they were selling for that price were open box. They were billed as brand new. Despite the full warranty, one never knows how the camera was treated while it was in use by the original purchaser and for that reason I would always only ask for a brand new camera.

aleonx3: My battery was also charged, LCD was fingerprinty. Here is the link I used to test the shutter count:
Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader
11-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by saff Quote
There was never any indication made that the cameras they were selling for that price were open box. They were billed as brand new.
eek... This is fraud.
11-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by saff Quote
There was never any indication made that the cameras they were selling for that price were open box. They were billed as brand new. Despite the full warranty, one never knows how the camera was treated while it was in use by the original purchaser and for that reason I would always only ask for a brand new camera.

aleonx3: My battery was also charged, LCD was fingerprinty. Here is the link I used to test the shutter count:
Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader
Thanks, Saff, for showing me the method to check shutter count on the Q. I still don't understand why it is not showing from PhotoMe. Anyway, here is my result.

The shutter count is 1 in my first IMGP0001 jpg. I thought this is probably because the file name is also ending with "0001". Then, I also took a couple more shots, one with SD card and one without SD card. So, I end up with 3 files and I expect the shutter count to be 4. And sure enough the shutter count is 4 (see below).

So, this is what I think the one I got from Henrys is a store model (just showing people the size and comparison); it appears that no test shot was taken. Also, checking the cables, shoulder strap and battery charger, it appears that they are all un-opened in the original plastic bags. The lens was touched but appears someone just want to see how small the lens is, nothing else. The manufacture date was 2011.09.28. So, this must be from the early batch.

I am good with store model as long as it is not a return stock from customers (because you never know what they have done with it). Looks like a keeper for me.

Thanks to all who help out... now, should I order a K-Q mount adapter and try out my FA 77mm or should I get the fish eye lens?

Attached Images

11-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
now, should I order a K-Q mount adapter and try out my FA 77mm or should I get the fish eye lens?
You can do both!