Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
DC Coupler for TIme Lapse

I'm doing a time lapse of a cottage being built with my Q. Battery life has been a challenge. I can get slightly over two hours and roughly 250 exposures on a battery running the time lapse at one-minute intervals. I found that the Fujifilm N50 battery (for my X10) is the same as the D-Li68, although the N50 is more widely available and less expensive. Both are 3.6V and 1000mA, and my battery life for time lapse is identical.

Swapping out batteries every two hours has quickly gotten old. I saw that the official Q DC coupler is kind of pricey. Fujifilm makes one for the X10, not quite as expensive, but not exactly cheap. Found this generic DC coupler: AC-5VX AC Power Adapter plus CP-50 Coupler Kit for Select Fujifilm Cameras - BestBatt.com, which arrived today.

It fits into the Q perfectly, although I have to leave the battery compartment door open. Works fine, too. Am looking forward to doing really long time lapse sessions now without the anxiety of battery depletion.

11-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by yellowruby Quote
I'm doing a time lapse of a cottage being built with my Q. Battery life has been a challenge. I can get slightly over two hours and roughly 250 exposures on a battery running the time lapse at one-minute intervals. I found that the Fujifilm N50 battery (for my X10) is the same as the D-Li68, although the N50 is more widely available and less expensive. Both are 3.6V and 1000mA, and my battery life for time lapse is identical.

Swapping out batteries every two hours has quickly gotten old. I saw that the official Q DC coupler is kind of pricey. Fujifilm makes one for the X10, not quite as expensive, but not exactly cheap. Found this generic DC coupler: AC-5VX AC Power Adapter plus CP-50 Coupler Kit for Select Fujifilm Cameras - BestBatt.com, which arrived today.

It fits into the Q perfectly, although I have to leave the battery compartment door open. Works fine, too. Am looking forward to doing really long time lapse sessions now without the anxiety of battery depletion.
Well done! I have the Q and also wanted a DC coupler. I have two Fuji point and shoots that use the NP-50 battery, so I was pleased to find they were the same and that I already had spare batteries. I tried to find the Fuji version of the DC coupler but didn't have your stroke of genius to locate a third party one. Hence I forked out big time for the Pentax brand one...
12-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great find yellowruby, mine arrived today.

Since it will be on a tripod for the types of applications I need it for, having the door stay open is no big deal as the Q doesn't complain.

At some point if it bugs me enough I will think about surgery to have the cord come out the other side so it can exit out the port with the door closed.

Its a bargain no Q owner should pass up.
12-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #4

Thank you!

Thanks so much for posting this. I've been desperately wanting the AC adapter for my Q but couldn't justify the cost. I just ordered the Fuji one linked, now i can start planning some good time lapses!

12-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks! I've noticed one minor quirk with the Q. If you're doing a really long time lapse, you need to disable "Power Saving" and the "Auto Power Off" options. You'd think that the Q would realize that it ought not turn itself off, but there must be some kind of race condition going on and it gets confused after a couple hours. Its turned off automatically prematurely a few times before I realized that its those power saving/automatic off features.

I don't think the Q "remembers" them, either, so you have to manually set them each time.

I wish there was a way to take an unlimited number of time lapse pictures. The Q is limited to 999 images per time lapse session. At 15-second intervals, that works out to a little more than four hours. I'd rather have the Q keep time lapsing until it runs out of space on the SD card, but I guess I can get by with only four hours.

Last edited by yellowruby; 12-16-2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention why.
01-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The generic (Fuji) AC adapter linked above puts out 5 volts / 2 A. The battery is only 3.7 V / 1 A. Have any of you actually connected it and tested with the Q ?
01-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've tested it for a short period of time and it worked fine. I believe yellowruby has done long term tests as it was used to capture time lapse shots of a building project with the Q.
01-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #8

Original Poster
Correct. I've used my DC coupler for up to eight hour time lapse periods with zero problems. Only quirk, which I mentioned before, is that you need to disable the "Power Saving" and "Auto Power Off" options.

01-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Great! I was concerned about the higher voltage - Thanks for the feedback guyz !!