Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There IS a Q Extended Warranty from Pentax!

I asked here a month or more ago about a Q extended warranty from Pentax and the silence was deafening.

Well, I got my ShopNBC Q in the mail today (wow, Saturday delivery - even if it did take them 4 days to just put it in the mail to begin with). Guess what was in the box, along with the normal Pentax items like the body, battery, lens, etc.?

There was a "Pentax Q-Series Extended Warranty" card (80255 - UPC Code: 027075209428). The text reads the same as the K camera extended warranty - 2 more years + 1 cleaning and checkup.

This is a real plus for the ShopNBC purchase. The Kingston 8gb card is a piece of garbage and doesn't work in the Q, but the 2 year extended warranty is a real bonus!!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
12-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Riv

Photos: Albums
Has the same text, must be purchased within 30 days of camera?

Next is the hard part, finding it seperate.
12-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Riv Quote
Has the same text, must be purchased within 30 days of camera?

Next is the hard part, finding it seperate.
Unfortunately it does say "purchased at the same time" which is what the K series warranty says and Pentax has repeatedly told those who have asked that they interpret that to mean within 30 days.

I've run the UPC and the Pentax part code that I provided in the original post through Google with no results other than this thread.
12-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
Riv

Ok, I can stop looking But it's nice to know it does exist, just a matter of time before it's widely available (hopefully).

Edit: I don't get the 30day limitation, many places only require that it's still under the original warranty when the extended is purchased.

Last edited by Riv; 12-01-2012 at 03:15 PM.
12-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi Docrwm,

This is apparently something that Pentax sometimes does. When I bought my K-7 (or maybe it was the K20), it included a factory extended warranty. In any case, I've purchased the extended warranty for each subsequent Pentax body, if nothing else, for the checkup/cleaning which is worth at least the price of the ext warranty. Pentax has a history of upgrading some components during the model lifetime, and it's worth sending it in for the cleaning, where they might upgrade components or even non public FW without even documenting it. . .

Scott
12-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, I can stop looking But it's nice to know it does exist, just a matter of time before it's widely available (hopefully).

Edit: I don't get the 30day limitation, many places only require that it's still under the original warranty when the extended is purchased.
I think contacting Pentax USA and asking why its not available and where you can get it would be useful. I also think their waving the 30 limit given that it had to be "discovered" and is not readily available is a reasonable request too.

EDIT:

I just used their online web form through the Pentax USA site to submit the following:

The Extended Warranty for the Pentax Q series of cameras is not readily available from ANY authorized dealer in the US and is not on your website. However, I got one with my Q purchased from ShopNBC, so I know that they exist.

I already owned a Q and would like an extended warranty for my first one as well. Two problems, since it isn`t available anywhere - where can I purchase one? and since it was not available anywhere when I purchased the Q will Pentax wave the "purchased at the same time as the camera" stipulation in the warranty?

Last edited by Docrwm; 12-01-2012 at 03:47 PM.
12-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I think contacting Pentax USA and asking why its not available and where you can get it would be useful. I also think their waving the 30 limit given that it had to be "discovered" and is not readily available is a reasonable request too.

EDIT:

I just used their online web form through the Pentax USA site to submit the following:

The Extended Warranty for the Pentax Q series of cameras is not readily available from ANY authorized dealer in the US and is not on your website. However, I got one with my Q purchased from ShopNBC, so I know that they exist.

I already owned a Q and would like an extended warranty for my first one as well. Two problems, since it isn`t available anywhere - where can I purchase one? and since it was not available anywhere when I purchased the Q will Pentax wave the "purchased at the same time as the camera" stipulation in the warranty?

I'd suggest calling CS at Pentax Imaging. When I bought my K-5, there was no official extended warranty yet available for the model. I called Pentax Imaging, and was able to buy it over the phone -- I had to fax them my invoice -- they were fussier about this then than now apparently.

Scott

12-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
Riv

EDIT:

I just tried the same thing, Hopefully there can be some good news! I even them gave them my number, said to call me and I'll buy then and there.
12-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #9

I asked here a month or more ago about a Q extended warranty from Pentax and the silence was deafening.

Well, I got my ShopNBC Q in the mail today (wow, Saturday delivery - even if it did take them 4 days to just put it in the mail to begin with). Guess what was in the box, along with the normal Pentax items like the body, battery, lens, etc.?

There was a "Pentax Q-Series Extended Warranty" card (80255 - UPC Code: 027075209428). The text reads the same as the K camera extended warranty - 2 more years + 1 cleaning and checkup.

This is a real plus for the ShopNBC purchase. The Kingston 8gb card is a piece of garbage and doesn't work in the Q, but the 2 year extended warranty is a real bonus!!
I hope your experience through them was positive. ShopNBC has mixed reviews, however since they are selling the Q with 02 zoom lens for under $250, I cant resist taking a shot. Ive wanted one for a while to supplement my K10/K-5 setup and at that price, I doubt youll find it cheaper.

Its potential for a pocketable street/party camera, as well as the 5.5x 'crop factor' working in favor of macro and astrophotography really make me excited. All the pics taken with it on this forum show that the camera has real potential in the hands of a knowledgeable shooter!
12-07-2012, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
I hope your experience through them was positive. ShopNBC has mixed reviews, however since they are selling the Q with 02 zoom lens for under $250, I cant resist taking a shot. Ive wanted one for a while to supplement my K10/K-5 setup and at that price, I doubt youll find it cheaper.

Its potential for a pocketable street/party camera, as well as the 5.5x 'crop factor' working in favor of macro and astrophotography really make me excited. All the pics taken with it on this forum show that the camera has real potential in the hands of a knowledgeable shooter!
ShopNBC's only drawback on my transaction was that they took 5 days to just get it into the mail to me. Once it was shipped I had it in 2 days and it was BNIB with no signs of it ever having been opened.

Most of ShopNBCs customers know nothing about what they are buying and actually seem to believe, from the posts on the complaint forums, the presenters/Sales people on the TV. They get a lot of complaints also from people who COULD NOT afford the item but bought it and somehow think ShopNBC is to blame for them buying something beyond their means.

They also make incredibly stupid mistakes, and know nearly nothing about what they sell.

It's a good little shooter that's for sure. It's also very versatile and the front button is terrific. The added warranty has a $20 value and is not available anywhere in the US other than from ShopNBC from what I have been able to find out so far.

Good luck.
12-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote

Buy a lens, get the camera for free, lol. Wish I had the cash.
12-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #12

Good to hear that your experience was positive. I figured that since I knew exactly what I was getting I was better off than 95% of the people that use home shopping network type outlets. The warranty is a HUGE bonus, as Ive made sure to start buying extended warranties with the bodies Ive purchased recently (K-r for my partner, and K-5 for me) due to my K10 visiting the shop twice - both times warrantied repairs.(since it was the PC board that kept failing). Add that the K-r is also needing to be serviced, it seems like getting an extended warranty with any Pentax purchase is mandatory.
12-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
Riv

EDIT:

Here is the reply I got today... notice the part number change.

---------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting PENTAX.

The PENTAX K-series extended warranty (#80227) also covers the Q model and should be available to purchase from several PENTAX online dealers (including www.adorama.com or www.bhphotovideo.com) at a discount from the $99.95 price if you purchase it directly from us by calling the technical support center number below. PENTAX does require that you purchase the extended warranty within 30 days of the camera purchase.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION /
PHONE: 800.234.0276 /800.877.0155 / BE INTERESTING. PENTAX
----------------------------------------------------
Anyone feel like gambling

Edit: I just double checked both mentioned sites, no mention of the Q being covered. I guess it's a secret.
Edit2: Sent a follow up reply for some clarity, and help getting some kind of a waiver in place.

Last edited by Riv; 12-07-2012 at 04:27 PM.
12-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is the reply I got today... notice the part number change.

---------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting PENTAX.

The PENTAX K-series extended warranty (#80227) also covers the Q model and should be available to purchase from several PENTAX online dealers (including www.adorama.com or www.bhphotovideo.com) at a discount from the $99.95 price if you purchase it directly from us by calling the technical support center number below. PENTAX does require that you purchase the extended warranty within 30 days of the camera purchase.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION /
PHONE: 800.234.0276 /800.877.0155 / BE INTERESTING. PENTAX
----------------------------------------------------
Anyone feel like gambling

Edit: I just double checked both mentioned sites, no mention of the Q being covered. I guess it's a secret.
Edit2: Sent a follow up reply for some clarity, and help getting some kind of a waiver in place.
Good luck with clarity of anything resembling non-canned responses from Randall at Pentax. It's just plain nuts. There IS a Q warranty but they won't send it out. They won't tell anyone, and did not tell ANYONE (including Adorama or B&H) that the K camera warranty is supposed to be good for the Q so no one bought one within the 30 day limit. They won't answer a simple question like "Will you honor a warranty bought after the 30 day limit because NO ONE knew that it covered the Q?" It's just plain ridiculous. Whenever I deal with Pentax USA I feel like it's Moe, Larry, or Curly that I'm dealing with.
12-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #15
Riv

Umm.. oh boy...

I just noticed something. Why I didn't notice before... well I read the warranty for K7 already, and just filed the one for the K5 when it arrived. I ordered the K5 extended warranty from B&H, was part number 80227. It appears that Randall is right, though I haven't heard back from him the 2nd time yet.

Right now it appears that B&H and others are mis-representing the 80227 warranty, to the demise of their own sales of the warranty.

The cover of the 80227 warranty reads, Pentax ( a Ricoh Company) Interchangeable Lens Camera Extended Warranty. Pictured on the cover is a generic dSLR, model # removed. Further, no where inside does it mention a K mount body or dSLR specifically. By definition the Q is a interchangeable lens camera, there by it must be covered by the 80227 warranty.

But in the text there's a small kick in teeth. All in the same sentence it says "It is not refundable nor transferable and is only valid if received at the same time as the purchase of a new PENTAX RICOH Interchangeable Lens Camera, which is covered by a PENTAX RICOH New Product One-Year Limited Warranty."

So where are we now... We're yelling at Pentax, when maybe we should be yelling at B&H and others. Yes Pentax could have been more clear, but Pentax didn't write the ad on B&H's website. That still leaves the Q-Series warranty from ShopNBC, why does that exist? transition period in warranty options maybe. Maybe the ShopNBC kit wasn't meant to be sold in the US... I don't know

Last edited by Riv; 12-08-2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: grammer errors..