Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Riv Quote
Umm.. oh boy...

I just noticed something. Why I didn't notice before... well I read the warranty for K7 already, and just filed the one for the K5 when it arrived. I ordered the K5 extended warranty from B&H, was part number 80227. It appears that Randall is right, though I haven't heard back from him the 2nd time yet.

Right now it appears that B&H and others are mis-representing the 80227 warranty, to the demise of their own sales of the warranty.

The cover of the 80227 warranty reads, Pentax ( a Ricoh Company) Interchangeable Lens Camera Extended Warranty. Pictured on the cover is a generic dSLR, model # removed. Further, no where inside does it mention a K mount body specifically. By definition the Q is a interchangeable lens camera, there by it must be covered by the 80227 warranty.

But in the text there's a small kick in teeth. All in the same sentence it says "It is not refundable nor transferable and is only valid if received at the same time as the purchase of a new PENTAX RICOH Interchangeable Lens Camera, which is covered bt a PENTAX RICOH New Product One-Year Limited Warranty."

So where are we now... We're yelling at Pentax, when maybe we should be yelling at B&H and others. Yes Pentax could have been more clear, but Pentax didn't write the ad on B&H's website. That still leaves the Q-Series warranty from ShopNBC, why does that exist? transition period in warranty options maybe. Maybe the ShopNBC kit wasn't meant to be sold in the US... I don't know
Randall and others from Pentax have consistently said that if it is purchased within 30 days of the body purchase it is valid.

Pentax has been less than clear on this, it is not the retailers fault. Every time a new K body has come out since the K-7 they have HAD TO ASK PENTAX if the warranty covers the new body. Pentax doesn't send out a memo that the new body is covered by the 80227 Extended Warranty. B&H has been diligent in asking whenever someone here points out to them that there isn't clarity on this issue.

I think it is perfectly understandable why EVERYONE would believe that the 80227 was ONLY for K mount cameras - because it says so on the front of the warranty card! This is a Pentax foul-up NOT a retailer foul-up. Pentax USA really, REALLY, REALLY needs to get their act together on things like this.

Attached Images

12-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #17
Riv

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Randall and others from Pentax have consistently said that if it is purchased within 30 days of the body purchase it is valid.

Pentax has been less than clear on this, it is not the retailers fault. Every time a new K body has come out since the K-7 they have HAD TO ASK PENTAX if the warranty covers the new body. Pentax doesn't send out a memo that the new body is covered by the 80227 Extended Warranty. B&H has been diligent in asking whenever someone here points out to them that there isn't clarity on this issue.

I think it is perfectly understandable why EVERYONE would believe that the 80227 was ONLY for K mount cameras - because it says so on the front of the warranty card! This is a Pentax foul-up NOT a retailer foul-up. Pentax USA really, REALLY, REALLY needs to get their act together on things like this.
The 30 day thing is fine, I just rather have it in writing. That picture you post looks a lot like the ad on B&H, and their ad as shown and written is why I didn't buy the 80227 for the Q.

Like I said I did buy it for the K5, and here are pictures of my warranty card. They don't match the site, and as you can see it is a ILC extended warranty and not a K series exclusive warranty as the website shows. So, as you can see I can't take the same stance your taking, that this is an exclusive to Pentax foul-up.

and your right, based on the retailer ad it is perfectly understandable way people wouldn't by it for the Q. I just don't think (anymore) that Pentax is 100% at fault here, and people that are buying a new Q/Q10 should look at this themselves and decide if they should purchase it.
12-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The 30 day thing is fine, I just rather have it in writing. That picture you post looks a lot like the ad on B&H, and their ad as shown and written is why I didn't buy the 80227 for the Q.

Like I said I did buy it for the K5, and here are pictures of my warranty card. They don't match the site, and as you can see it is a ILC extended warranty and not a K series exclusive warranty as the website shows. So, as you can see I can't take the same stance your taking, that this is an exclusive to Pentax foul-up.

and your right, based on the retailer ad it is perfectly understandable way people wouldn't by it for the Q. I just don't think (anymore) that Pentax is 100% at fault here, and people that are buying a new Q/Q10 should look at this themselves and decide if they should purchase it.
I purchased one for my K-5 and it says precisely what the picture I posted says on the front. Look closely at the bottom of the picture and you will see a semi-circle of plastic that is the seal on the actual warranty card. It's a picture of a REAL PENTAX Warranty card, not an ad put together by the retailer.

Pentax is ENTIRELY at fault. They do not educate their retailers. They do not make appropriate announcements about ALL their products. They do NOT answer straight questions with genuine and direct answers. They offer a product - the Q Warranty - but do not make it widely available. Do I need to go on? Pentax USA is a genuine and complete mess when it comes to doing much of anything other than putting its foot in its mouth, just look at the interview of their head marketing person on the Q10 and lenses - how many fundamental misstatements are there in that interview?

Adorama and B&H have dilligently sought answers from Pentax USA whenever anyone raises an issue. They have yet to provide an evasive or incomplete answer but every single response I have gotten from Randall S at Pentax USA has been either just plain wrong or did not answer each part of my question.

Last edited by Docrwm; 12-08-2012 at 09:22 AM.
12-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #19
Riv

I purchased one for my K-5 and it says precisely what the picture I posted says on the front. Look closely at the bottom of the picture and you will see a semi-circle of plastic that is the seal on the actual warranty card. It's a picture of a REAL PENTAX Warranty card, not an ad put together by the retailer.

Pentax is ENTIRELY at fault. They do not educate their retailers. They do not make appropriate announcements about ALL their products. They do NOT answer straight questions with genuine and direct answers. They offer a product - the Q Warranty - but do not make it widely available. Do I need to go on? Pentax USA is a genuine and complete mess when it comes to doing much of anything other than putting its foot in its mouth, just look at the interview of their head marketing person on the Q10 and lenses - how many fundamental misstatements are there in that interview?

Adorama and B&H have dilligently sought answers from Pentax USA whenever anyone raises an issue. They have yet to provide an evasive or incomplete answer but every single response I have gotten from Randall S at Pentax USA has been either just plain wrong or did not answer each part of my question.
I never doubted the picture of the warranty card you posted. I'm only said it looked like the ad on B&H which is the same ad they had up when I bought it (minus the K5II/s mentions), and it differs from the product delivered to my door. So, somewhere between when you purchased yours and I purchased mine, the product changed but the advertising didn't. I bought mine just after the K30 came out, the K30 was the first camera I ever purchased at release and I might have been the first to send it back for the K5. Couple weeks after the K5 was delivered I purchased the 80227 but never bothered reading it, I just figured it was an updated cover to the K7 warranty which my copy said specifically K7. Had I paid more attention to the product the B&H shipped verses what they advertised I'd most likely would have bought it with the Q hoping their inventory isn't a jumbled mess of K-Series warranties shuffled in with ILC warranties.

I don't mean to sound like I'm defending Pentax, I know they had a hand in all this and maybe the largest hand. But retailers should also know what their selling, reguardless if the product's company (this case Pentax) micro-manages their retail outlet or not. It's clear to me the ILC warranty covers the Q, but NOBODY wants to tell anyone. You'd think at some point, a retailer be it B&H or other would have at one point just looked at the product to answer a question (instead of their ad) and see the same thing I'm seeing.

Anyway, on your K-Series card does it says A Hoya corporation or a Pentax-Ricoh company? wondering if that's when the change happened.

12-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
But retailers should also know what their selling, reguardless if the product's company (this case Pentax) micro-manages their retail outlet or not.
I think it's entirely reasonable for a retailer to assume that when they order more of something they have ordered before they will in fact receive more of the same and not some other product.

Not that I know if Pentax actually informed them that the product changed, but I'm going to guess they didn't.

You'd think at some point, a retailer be it B&H or other would have at one point just looked at the product to answer a question (instead of their ad) and see the same thing I'm seeing.
Of course if people ask about it they should check. But if they question doesn't give any reason to assume the product might have changed, I don't think it's wrong of them to not check the actual product. (I'm sure they get a lot of questions. They can't all warrant checking the actual product.)
12-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
I think it's entirely reasonable for a retailer to assume that when they order more of something they have ordered before they will in fact receive more of the same and not some other product.

Not that I know if Pentax actually informed them that the product changed, but I'm going to guess they didn't.

Of course if people ask about it they should check. But if they question doesn't give any reason to assume the product might have changed, I don't think it's wrong of them to not check the actual product. (I'm sure they get a lot of questions. They can't all warrant checking the actual product.)
I looked at the card, again (sigh), and it only says Pentax Imaging on it. No "Hoya" or "Ricoh". I got it during the 2011 Black Friday sales when I bought my K-5.

The two different Extended Warranty cards apparently carry the same part number despite there being significant changes in what they cover. Again, Pentax USA doesn't actually answer the F'ing questions asked of them. I've asked several questions and I ALWAYS get either a wrong answer or a half-a**ed one from Randall.

Because they haven't made it clear that the warranty's were combined (I have BOTH a K Camera and a Q Series warranty card in my possession so I know that they both existed separately) and they NEVER made it known that there was a Q warranty at all, it would be reasonable of them to honor a warranty purchased for a Q after the 30 day period. Did Randall actually address, in any way whatsoever, that portion of my email? Nope.

My first encounter with Pentax USA back in 2010-11 was with Randall giving me completely untrue information and doing so in a very dismissive manner. I pursued the question because I knew that the part I asked about DID in fact exist despite his assertions to the contrary. It was only when I contacted Pentax Canada, because several here had said that their parts department was actually responsive to Pentaxians inquiries, that Randall suddenly contacted me with VERY brief emails telling me that they were sending me the part he had previously told did not exist.

I sure hope that the new head honcho at Pentax USA has a BIG broom. This just gets old.
12-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #22
Riv

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote

I'm not suggesting they run and get the product every time, in some cases the warehouse and sales counter aren't even in the same building. You'd think there'd be a point were enough questioning about a given product is risen that some one (purchasing department maybe) would do 5 minutes of checking it out. The last time I worked in retail, ages ago, we were required to verify what was delivered. Anything that looked different needed to be verified, yeah we expected the same item, sometimes it changed in one way or another. The bigger the retail outlet the harder it is to do this, and impossible to do if you out of stock when the new ones arrive. But you can't (shouldn't anyway) go about it blindly, and in this case it's paperwork that could change at anytime, unlike a body or a lens. I bet they check the price everytime

12-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #23
Riv

I looked at the card, again (sigh), and it only says Pentax Imaging on it. No "Hoya" or "Ricoh". I got it during the 2011 Black Friday sales when I bought my K-5.

The two different Extended Warranty cards apparently carry the same part number despite there being significant changes in what they cover. Again, Pentax USA doesn't actually answer the F'ing questions asked of them. I've asked several questions and I ALWAYS get either a wrong answer or a half-a**ed one from Randall.

Because they haven't made it clear that the warranty's were combined (I have BOTH a K Camera and a Q Series warranty card in my possession so I know that they both existed separately) and they NEVER made it known that there was a Q warranty at all, it would be reasonable of them to honor a warranty purchased for a Q after the 30 day period. Did Randall actually address, in any way whatsoever, that portion of my email? Nope.

My first encounter with Pentax USA back in 2010-11 was with Randall giving me completely untrue information and doing so in a very dismissive manner. I pursued the question because I knew that the part I asked about DID in fact exist despite his assertions to the contrary. It was only when I contacted Pentax Canada, because several here had said that their parts department was actually responsive to Pentaxians inquiries, that Randall suddenly contacted me with VERY brief emails telling me that they were sending me the part he had previously told did not exist.

I sure hope that the new head honcho at Pentax USA has a BIG broom. This just gets old.
I understand your grief, I'm 50/50 with Randall. He did avoid the question about a extended grace period saying Pentax requres you buy it within 30 days. Yet it really appears in my eye's that he was right about the 80227 warranty. It was that comment that got me to pull it out a look again. Though honestly I think I was hoping to find a wtf it doesn't say that type info to throw back at him.

I know many won't buy into my claim that retailers do play a role in all this, but that's ok. Maybe I'm just too old school in my belief that a retailer should know what their selling, especially with items that could change every time they are delivered.

Anyway, the point of my first post wasn't really to start a debate about who is to blame, you say Pentax, I say both and at the end of the day we'll both be saying the same thing. All I really wanted to point out is that there is an extended warranty for the Q. My advice would be to anyone buying the 80227 is to make sure you get the one that I pictured above, the ILC warranty. Someplaces may still have a mix of stock on hand and you might get either one cause the part number (foolishly) didn't change.

Now if you'll excuse me my c-mount adapter came today (I like this newish UPS to USPS delivery system) and I have a cheap 12-75mm f1.8 to go play with.

Last edited by Riv; 12-08-2012 at 12:01 PM.
12-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I understand your grief, I'm 50/50 with Randall. He did avoid the question about a extended grace period saying Pentax requres you buy it within 30 days. Yet it really appears in my eye's that he was right about the 80227 warranty. It was that comment that got me to pull it out a look again. Though honestly I think I was hoping to find a wtf it doesn't say that type info to throw back at him.

I know many won't buy into my claim that retailers do play a role in all this, but that's ok. Maybe I'm just too old school in my belief that a retailer should know what their selling, especially with items that could change every time they are delivered.

Anyway, the point of my first post wasn't really to start a debate about who is to blame, you say Pentax, I say both and at the end of the day we'll both be saying the same thing. All I really wanted to point out is that there is an extended warranty for the Q. My advice would be to anyone buying the 80227 is to make sure you get the one that I pictured above, the ILC warranty. Someplaces may still have a mix of stock on hand and you might get either one cause the part number (foolishly) didn't change.

Now if you'll excuse me my c-mount adapter came today (I like this newish UPS to USPS delivery system) and I have a cheap 12-75mm f1.8 to go play with.
He avoided the real question, as many bureaucrats do, by answering with a seemingly appropriate answer but not answering the question actually asked or meant. The question was why they did not let people know? Why didn't ANYONE here on this list or at either major retailer know that the old K camera warranty covers the Q? Why didn't they put out a simple memo?

Oh, and we are NOT saying the same thing. Please don't tell me what I mean in my posts.

Just to be perfectly clear in what I actually mean: Pentax USA is 100% completely and utterly to blame for this foulup - period.
12-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #25
Riv

He avoided the real question, as many bureaucrats do, by answering with a seemingly appropriate answer but not answering the question actually asked or meant. The question was why they did not let people know? Why didn't ANYONE here on this list or at either major retailer know that the old K camera warranty covers the Q? Why didn't they put out a simple memo?

Oh, and we are NOT saying the same thing. Please don't tell me what I mean in my posts.

Just to be perfectly clear in what I actually mean: Pentax USA is 100% completely and utterly to blame for this foulup - period.
Ok, you took that the wrong way. I'm not putting words in your mouth, or saying we are saying the "same thing"... To put it another way, I'm saying at the end of the day we'll both be saying the same thing we started out saying with NO CHANGE in opinion. that's all I meant.

Last edited by Riv; 12-08-2012 at 09:17 PM.
12-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #26

Heres an interesting twist to the Q Extended Warranty card -

I received my Q kit from ShopNBC. First off, anyone who has contemplated getting a Q should jump on this deal without question. $250 for a body, zoom lens, 8gb SD card (which is only class 4 but I can use it in other devices) and a 2 year extended warranty is without a doubt a near steal. I was on the fence about getting one until I saw the price. Now its in my hands

The interesting twist is that I did NOT receive the same Q-Series Extended Warranty (80255) that Docrwm received in his kit 2 weeks ago. I received the Interchangeable Lens Camera Extended Warranty (80227) exactly as pictured in Riv's post. This is in fact the same warranty card I got when I purchased my K-5. I suspect that Pentax initially printed the Q-Series Extended Warranty cards and then decided that rather than printing a new extended warranty card for each class of camera, they would simplify things and use the Interchangeable Lens Camera Extended Warranty to cover...well...all interchangeable lens cameras

Again, as long as the warranty is valid (should it need to be utilized), this purchase was a steal!
12-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
Heres an interesting twist to the Q Extended Warranty card -

I received my Q kit from ShopNBC. First off, anyone who has contemplated getting a Q should jump on this deal without question. $250 for a body, zoom lens, 8gb SD card (which is only class 4 but I can use it in other devices) and a 2 year extended warranty is without a doubt a near steal. I was on the fence about getting one until I saw the price. Now its in my hands

The interesting twist is that I did NOT receive the same Q-Series Extended Warranty (80255) that Docrwm received in his kit 2 weeks ago. I received the Interchangeable Lens Camera Extended Warranty (80227) exactly as pictured in Riv's post. This is in fact the same warranty card I got when I purchased my K-5. I suspect that Pentax initially printed the Q-Series Extended Warranty cards and then decided that rather than printing a new extended warranty card for each class of camera, they would simplify things and use the Interchangeable Lens Camera Extended Warranty to cover...well...all interchangeable lens cameras

Again, as long as the warranty is valid (should it need to be utilized), this purchase was a steal!
Thanks for the update. Still makes me believe Pentax USA can't get their act together or give a straight answer. Congratulations on a killer deal on a hugely fun camera.
12-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #28

Ill add I also got the interchangeable lens camera waranty (80227) @ shopNBC. Also ill add that the Q I got is a newer ricoh imaging co. model. Ill have to thank my wife for finding this great deal again. I was about to buy one for almost 300 had it in shopping cart and everything then she was like wait I seen one for cheaper.
12-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #29

First of all, I've never brought the extended-warranty card before so I have NO information or opinion about it. 3 questions!

1. SO, can anyone summarize if the extended warranty card coming with the Q kit from ShopNBC is eligible for use, please? (Card comes the kit at the same time)

2. or if I buy this deal from ShopNBC, do I need to buy another extended warranty card again from BH or Adorama in order to extend warranty 2 more years?

3. If the one that comes with the Q kit is fine, do I need to register or do anything with Pentax to activate the 2 more years warranty?

Thanks for your helps!
12-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zany225 Quote
First of all, I've never brought the extended-warranty card before so I have NO information or opinion about it. 3 questions!

1. SO, can anyone summarize if the extended warranty card coming with the Q kit from ShopNBC is eligible for use, please? (Card comes the kit at the same time)

2. or if I buy this deal from ShopNBC, do I need to buy another extended warranty card again from BH or Adorama in order to extend warranty 2 more years?

3. If the one that comes with the Q kit is fine, do I need to register or do anything with Pentax to activate the 2 more years warranty?

Thanks for your helps!
The card comes in the box with the camera and gear. It is a Pentax Warranty so you are not getting a ShopNBC warranty but an additional two years from Pentax, therefore you do not need to buy anything else. You do not need to register it.