Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Q long lens shoulder brace

Scott (snostorm) has inspired me to try to shoot my 300 hand held, plus I hate to walk around with my tripod. The image below is my homemade shoulder brace. It allows support on the top and against my shoulder in addition to my face on the hood loupe and my hand on the lens. Using my shoulder reduces the effect of of my breathing ans helps support the camera and lens. Now I just need to attach a across the body strap and I'm ready for the fog and rain to stop. I have tried it out my back window and it works but who wants to see images of tombstones in the rain. My red dot is still in the mail and will be added. I will post some images when the sun returns. The brace is made of 1/4" X 1" aluminum bar hand bent in a vise and over a roll with a tripod screw in a 1/4 -20 tapped hole then painted flat black. There is a twist at the shoulder and camera mount to allow for centering the Q to my face.

Hans

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
12-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
but who wants to see images of tombstones in the rain.
Who doesn't?
12-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neat idea ... please post us some sample images - J
12-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have tried it out my back window and it works but who wants to see images of tombstones in the rain.
Raises hand

12-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is this awesome-looking LCD viewfinder that's attached to your Q? I want one...
Andy
12-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote
What is this awesome-looking LCD viewfinder that's attached to your Q? I want one...
Andy
Several people on the site use one, I got mine from Amazon but I had to alter mine a little I opened the tripod attachment hole in the adapter plate a little to get better access to the buttons but for $12 Us it works wonders see link below. I use the one for Nikon 1 It attaches to the Q tripod hole.

Hans

Amazon.com: BestDealUSA LCD V5 2.8x Magnifier Viewfinder Eyecup Extender Magnetic Hood For Nikon 1: Camera & Photo
12-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry guys no images yet I went to the eye doctor yesterday and had my eyes dilated and couldn't even focus on the computer screen for the day. The sun is out today, I will go out and get a few.

Hans

12-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Several people on the site use one, I got mine from Amazon but I had to alter mine a little I opened the tripod attachment hole in the adapter plate a little to get better access to the buttons but for $12 Us it works wonders see link below. I use the one for Nikon 1 It attaches to the Q tripod hole.

Hans

Amazon.com: BestDealUSA LCD V5 2.8x Magnifier Viewfinder Eyecup Extender Magnetic Hood For Nikon 1: Camera & Photo
Hans, thanks a bunch, I've been looking for one just like it, just ordered it.
Andy
12-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi Hans,

Nice!!! Super light weight compared to a gunstock, and a lot less likely to provoke a panicked response from bystanders or Law Enforcement.

Another totally different alternative handheld support aid might be to fashion a small belly pouch to support a short monopod. My Fotopro tripod allows one leg to be dismounted for use as a monopod (ala Benro Travel Angel), and they included a pouch that could be attached to a belt or neckstrap for just this kind of use. If I find that some longer and heavier lenses work well, I might be trying this in the future. I also have an old Opteka belly pod that I'll have to dig through my stuff to find. . . and there are some new support solutions for video that might be used with the Q for handheld super tele work.

I think that the Q is drawing some very good outside-the-box thinking from us -- I'm really liking this!

Scott
12-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Nice, but in my opion the Q is meant as a 'pocket camera'....and my pockets aren't that big :-)
12-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it hasn't already been mentioned, don't put too much confidence in the tripod mount on the adapter.

I hadn't noticed till now that is your only attachment point, and those screws are really tiny and others have reported they can strip out.

Since you will presumably be subjecting the mount to more movement than just a static tripod, be sure to take the appropriate precautions in the form of some backup method of securing everything.