Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
As for having the machines myself?

I got tired of trying to explain my little "noodle" jobs to the machine shops around here. It always went like clockwork. I'd walk into their shop. I'd explain what I'd want. I'd draw pictures. I'd offer to pay. They'd take my money. They'd sit on the job for months and do NOTHING. They'd give me my money back to walk away.

That's pretty much how I got into metal machining.
Well, at least you get your "noodle" jobs done whenever you want now!

I use eMachineshop.com and a few other vendors for simple one-offs, but then I'm pretty handy with 3D engineering apps. However, when it came to knocking off the Pentax removable tripod mount, I went to a pro I know.

12-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Well, at least you get your "noodle" jobs done whenever you want now!

I use eMachineshop.com and a few other vendors for simple one-offs, but then I'm pretty handy with 3D engineering apps. However, when it came to knocking off the Pentax removable tripod mount, I went to a pro I know.
So very very cool!

Let me know when they are available!
I want one done by a pro!

12-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
HI Docrwm,

The foot, for me, would not have been that useful. I use a Wimberley Sidekick -- a side mount gimbal, and for super tele use, it would limit me to portrait orientation unless I worked out an L bracket like adapter -- it's possible, but I'd rather have a rotating tripod ring to fit to the adapter. Also the foot from Pentax will likely be pricey.

I have ordered two tripod rings from Chinese sources -- one is 68mm ID and made of aluminum (@ $24) and the other is 68.5mm ID and made from plastic (@ $6). I should get them sometime around Xmas, and will report back in a new thread. I think we can do better than getting the Pentax foot. . . we'll see. . .

In the meantime, The only one of the 4 different removable tripod rings I have for other lenses that will fit the adapter is the Sigma short foot (for the 180 macro, 100-300/4, 300/2.8, and I think the 500/4.5 -- I have the first 3, so have more rings than I can use at one time) it's a bit bigger in ID than needed, but not that much (I think I measured it at @ 70mm). I've wrapped 3m electrician's tape around the ring in 3 places to take up the space. It will do until I get one that fits more appropriately, or if neither of the Chinese rings can be made to work, I can come up with a more permanent mod for the Sigma ring if I need to.

Scott
Scott,

Thanks for taking the plunge. I'll look forward to your impressions.

-Robert
12-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey folks !

Part 1.
Where can one find that Pentax "foot" for the adapter?

Part 2.
.... just thought of something ....

My son works at a shop where he can machine-shop just about anything (metal).
(He is the "main guy" at that shop which builds extremely precise stuff for a well know recreational vehicle company).
So, what would it take for him to "build" the Pentax foot to fit onto this adapter?

Specs, etc ... pictures ... whatever.
Could I send a picture of my DA*300/4 "foot" and find exact specs so he could replicate it ?

If he can manage that, I would certainly show the result here and perhaps ... I could coax him to build a few ?? Just throwing an idea around ... we never know.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 12-07-2012 at 07:15 PM.
12-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote

(He is the "main guy" at that shop which builds extremely precise stuff for a well know recreational vehicle company).
So, what would it take for him to "build" the Pentax foot to fit onto this adapter?

If he can manage that, I would certainly show the result here and perhaps ... I could coax him to build a few ?? Just throwing an idea around.

JP
Maybe just send along the tripod foot from your DA*300 as a guide?
12-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Maybe just send along the tripod foot from your DA*300 as a guide?
OK, first I will take a pic of the piece, and send it to him.

I'll do that tonight and see what he says. If he is willing to give it a go, I will send the actual tripod "foot".

Back here when I get further news.

JP

Edit: I found this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/diy-tripod-lens-mount/steps-1-6.html and wondered if that could be an "easy" way out? ((while waiting for my son's email).

Last edited by jpzk; 12-07-2012 at 07:55 PM.
12-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If someone is going to go to the trouble of making a foot, I agree with snostorm- skip it. Would much rather have a rotating collar with foot. When working at the fov of 1650mm, flipping the tripod head from hor. to vert. means the subject isn't in the frame any more. For hand held macro the foot could be rotated above the lens and used to mount a flash or two.
thanks
barondla

Lauren love the machine shop story. Have had my run in with them too. I am building from scratch, two mono block audio amps. They are three foot tall by two foot deep and one foot wide. built on a chasis of 1" thick aluminum they weigh 220 lbs each. Machine shops love me.

12-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #23

I would buy one...

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hey folks !

Part 1.
Where can one find that Pentax "foot" for the adapter?

Part 2.

Could I send a picture of my DA*300/4 "foot" and find exact specs so he could replicate it ?

If he can manage that, I would certainly show the result here and perhaps ... I could coax him to build a few ?? Just throwing an idea around ... we never know.

JP
12-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #24

Hi all. I seem to have caught the brief window at B&H when the official adapter was available. It should arrive on Tues/Wed based on past experience. Anyhow, I've been following the discussion about how to get a tripod foot on the adapter for a reasonable cost and thought I would share some links I found scouting around the web:

1) a couple DIY solutions, including from our own forum:
DIY Tripod Mount How-To - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/37889-aftermar...oes-exist.html
DIY Lens Support Bracket | DIYPhotography.net

2) Here's a place in the UK that custom makes tripod collars:
Tripod lens mounts

3) Here's a long lens support from Manfrotto, that might work:
Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support with Quick Release 293 B&H
12-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just got my adapter. Oh yeah, pure cool. This is going to be amazing!
I wonder if I should spring on the Rokinon 85 f/1.4 to use on the Q?
This adapter makes the Q a definite part of my kit along with my K5s, in that when I want crazy reach, I now have an extra tool in the bag!
Very nice adapter!
12-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder if I should spring on the Rokinon 85 f/1.4 to use on the Q?
Ha ha I thought your lens budget was depleted?
12-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Ha ha I thought your lens budget was depleted?
It is, but if I use the "Toothpaste Technique" I might just get another brushing out of it. Ugh. We will see how the week goes and see if I can scrape some cash up from another bin.

LBA is a cruel mistress!!!!
12-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LBA is a cruel mistress!!!!
Tell me about it ! No different for me
12-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #29
Veteran Member

The 85 is on sale right now, and its a sweet lens too.
12-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow. The Q and Pentax adapter with some of my SMC-A primes are amazing! I was not expecting this! The IQ from the good old Pentax glass is GREAT! The infinite F-stop adjustment with the Pentax adapter reminds me of how I used to work the light meter on my K1000. With focus peaking and a smooth damped Pentax classic lens - wow - way too sweet.