Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hey folks !

Part 1.
Where can one find that Pentax "foot" for the adapter?

Part 2.
.... just thought of something ....

My son works at a shop where he can machine-shop just about anything (metal).
(He is the "main guy" at that shop which builds extremely precise stuff for a well know recreational vehicle company).
So, what would it take for him to "build" the Pentax foot to fit onto this adapter?

Specs, etc ... pictures ... whatever.
Could I send a picture of my DA*300/4 "foot" and find exact specs so he could replicate it ?

If he can manage that, I would certainly show the result here and perhaps ... I could coax him to build a few ?? Just throwing an idea around ... we never know.

JP
UPDATE: Son says it is "do-able", however, it'll have to be after the XMas holidays.
He is coming home for a few days, so he'll also be able to actually "handle" the tripod collar and see first hand what it is all about.
He is familiar with Pentax though, having a K10D (and enjoying it).

So folks, either be patient or try and get something elsewhere until we get the final word on that.

JP

UPDATE AGAIN:

Son is confused and am I: the "collar" is built-in on the lens, right? And the "foot" is a screwable part to the collar ... which one(s) are we concerned with? Just that he wants to make sure before attempting anything.

Last edited by jpzk; 12-11-2012 at 04:05 PM.
12-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Wow. The Q and Pentax adapter with some of my SMC-A primes are amazing! I was not expecting this!
It is rather addictive. Expecting to see some images with the Q/50-135 combo. Should be awesome.
thanks
barondla
12-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Son is confused and am I: the "collar" is built-in on the lens, right? And the "foot" is a screwable part to the collar ... which one(s) are we concerned with? Just that he wants to make sure before attempting anything.
The adapter does not have a collar, the foot clamps onto the body of the adapter. It does not rotate.

On the DA*300 the foot is clamping onto the tripod collar which does rotate.
12-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #34
Pentaxian

UPDATE: Son says it is "do-able",
<snip>
So folks, either be patient or try and get something elsewhere until we get the final word on that.
I'll see how my friend in Hong Kong is doing with his reverse-engineering of my tripod foot. There might be a glut of choices in the new year!

12-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #35
Forum Member

Too pricey for my blood. As much as i'd like to get a Q to try this out seems like a hard way to go just to get to K mount lense use. Think I'm better off with just the K-01.
12-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SonDa5 Quote
Too pricey for my blood. As much as i'd like to get a Q to try this out seems like a hard way to go just to get to K mount lense use. Think I'm better off with just the K-01.
You might be better off the with K-01 but you do not need to own the Pentax Official adapter to enjoy the Q and all its amazing versatility. There are adapters for as little as $15 out there for K mount and also for nearly every other mount imaginable for the Q.
12-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SonDa5 Quote
Then you miss out on the 5.5 crop factor which gives the Q it's edge. A 50mm f1.8 becomes a 75mm f1.8 on a K-01, but on a Q it becomes a 275mm f1.4. Imagine what kind of shots you can get with a lens of that amount of reach, and with that amount of light gathering ability.

Chris

12-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
Then you miss out on the 5.5 crop factor which gives the Q it's edge. A 50mm f1.8 becomes a 75mm f1.8 on a K-01, but on a Q it becomes a 275mm f1.4. Imagine what kind of shots you can get with a lens of that amount of reach, and with that amount of light gathering ability.
Chris, that's a typo, correct? Is it even possible to go from a f1.8 to a f1.4?

I played around the other day with my A50/1.2 wide open, which already has a very paper-thin dof. The result on the Pentax K/Q adapter was an even thinner dof, if that were even possible.