Pentax Adapter Q for K-mount Lenses 39977 B&H Photo Video

12-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Wahoo!!!
The adapter is in stock at B&H

I thought you were tapped out after Black Friday?
12-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I thought you were tapped out after Black Friday?
I am..but I had put aside a bit of money when I bought the Q.
I had ordered both, but cancelled the order for the adapter with Adorama when it was taking a month.
Just tonight, I saw B&H had them in stock.
Thus ends my purchases for the next quarter.

12-07-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It looks like they're shipping relatively small quantities, or B&H didn't anticipate the demand -- not unrealistic because it's so pricey -- but it's really so much more than any 3rd party adapter is offering. They seem to be out of stock again. A few Q shooters that I know of ordered from them and have received their adapters, so they've actually been shipping them for maybe a week or so. . . I just got mine from my small B&M camera shop -- and the 06 zoom. I also picked up a K-5 IIs on the Black Friday deal -- so my photo budget for next year is already overdrawn. ..but I'll be having a lot of fun playing with the new toys over the winter

Scott

12-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

FYI for those needing the adapter - Crutchfield shows them in stock.

Pentax Q to K Lens Adapter Allows Pentax K-mount lenses to be used on Pentax Q cameras at Crutchfield.com
12-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Good find. They now list it as Low Stock.

Plus I like Glenn from Michigan's review of it:

This is a well designed adapter, solid and works great. It adapter gives you an advantage over some of the others. 1) it's has a step-less apreture ring, 2) it has a built in leaf shutter which is important has it lets you carry much higher flash sync speeds.

I would have gladly rated this product a 5, except Pentax got a little cheap. At the price, even though there are a few higher priced less featured ones out there. It Should have been packaged with the tripod plate/foot. If you don't own a DA*300mm, or DA* 60-250 your screwed because you need to use the one off the lens. Right now, the foot can't be found on the open market.

Pros:Great build, better features than 3rd party K2Q adapters.

Cons:Not packaged with tripod foot.
12-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
When I get mine, I will see about making one.
Have - Metal mill and lathe - will travel!
12-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Wahoo!!!
The adapter is in stock at B&H

How exactly does this compare to other offerings, such as the Novaflex (or any others that may be available)?

12-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
How exactly does this compare to other offerings, such as the Novaflex (or any others that may be available)?
Internal leaf shutter, syncs with the camera, etc. It is more sophisticated than the Novaflex and doesn't cost any more as I recall (or very little more).

Barondla has a review up and has been using non-OEM adapters for some time. I think his perspective is pretty informed on this topic.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/205119-original-pentax-q-pk-adap...ni-review.html
12-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks!
12-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, Stan. Order placed.
12-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I would have gladly rated this product a 5, except Pentax got a little cheap. At the price, even though there are a few higher priced less featured ones out there. It Should have been packaged with the tripod plate/foot. If you don't own a DA*300mm, or DA* 60-250 your screwed because you need to use the one off the lens. Right now, the foot can't be found on the open market.

HI Docrwm,

The foot, for me, would not have been that useful. I use a Wimberley Sidekick -- a side mount gimbal, and for super tele use, it would limit me to portrait orientation unless I worked out an L bracket like adapter -- it's possible, but I'd rather have a rotating tripod ring to fit to the adapter. Also the foot from Pentax will likely be pricey.

I have ordered two tripod rings from Chinese sources -- one is 68mm ID and made of aluminum (@ $24) and the other is 68.5mm ID and made from plastic (@ $6). I should get them sometime around Xmas, and will report back in a new thread. I think we can do better than getting the Pentax foot. . . we'll see. . .

In the meantime, The only one of the 4 different removable tripod rings I have for other lenses that will fit the adapter is the Sigma short foot (for the 180 macro, 100-300/4, 300/2.8, and I think the 500/4.5 -- I have the first 3, so have more rings than I can use at one time) it's a bit bigger in ID than needed, but not that much (I think I measured it at @ 70mm). I've wrapped 3m electrician's tape around the ring in 3 places to take up the space. It will do until I get one that fits more appropriately, or if neither of the Chinese rings can be made to work, I can come up with a more permanent mod for the Sigma ring if I need to.

Scott
12-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #13
Pentaxian

When I get mine, I will see about making one.
Have - Metal mill and lathe - will travel!
Lucky you -- I'd love to have the machines, the skill to operate them, and the space to make stuff for my cameras -- but then I'd probably spend more time making stuff and not have time to shoot. . .

There are a couple of ready-made possible alternatives -- I already have them ordered, and have gotten notice that they've shipped -- I'll report probably sometime around Xmas.

Scott
12-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #14
Pentaxian

FYI for those needing the adapter - Crutchfield shows them in stock.
Not any more. I missed the B&H window of opportunity as well (since Crutchfield doesn't ship up to Canada). Here's hoping Adorama is getting some in!
12-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Lucky you -- I'd love to have the machines, the skill to operate them, and the space to make stuff for my cameras -- but then I'd probably spend more time making stuff and not have time to shoot. . .

There are a couple of ready-made possible alternatives -- I already have them ordered, and have gotten notice that they've shipped -- I'll report probably sometime around Xmas.

Scott
Awesome!

Maybe give the folks at ProMediaGear a call. They are in the Chicagoland area and they make some great stuff. I bought my Gimbal from them, and they seem to be open to custom machining.

As for having the machines myself?

I got tired of trying to explain my little "noodle" jobs to the machine shops around here. It always went like clockwork. I'd walk into their shop. I'd explain what I'd want. I'd draw pictures. I'd offer to pay. They'd take my money. They'd sit on the job for months and do NOTHING. They'd give me my money back to walk away.

That's pretty much how I got into metal machining.