Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I actually considered the V1 -- the AF with adapted lenses, quick AF, EVF, trick modes, larger sensor, etc were attractive. . . then I handled one for quite a while. Admittedly, I'm a long-time Pentax user, and for me, at this point, the Nikon interface is unfathomable -- I know that I could learn it in time. . . if there was a good motivation to. . .
This is a good point. The reason I've been able to pick up the Q and get shooting without delay is because the menus and "Info Button" interface are completely familiar to me, as a K-5 user. I think the only thing I've had to look up in the manual was the interval movie.

I just find it personally ironic that so many people yell "I'm switching to Nikon" in the K-5 forums due to AF speed or sensor size, and I've never seen either as a detriment to my DSLR shooting, but here I'm considering the V1 specifically for these two reasons!

This is mainly because the K-5 is my "work" camera, and it's sometimes too big or cumbersome to be my "fun" camera. My cell phone camera sucks (but Blackberries are practically free up here in Canada!), so this is an "in-between'er" device decision. The current prices (and no need for many lenses) makes it a bit lighter decision than going K-5 vs. D7000 or D800 (gulp!).

I'll head to the local B/M (that price matches online) and try out the V1 and see if it does what I want, compared to the Q. Since I have two Qs, I'll definitely keep one for adapted long-lens stuff, but the "fun" camera is in question...

12-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Purchased the Sony RX100 for work - no lens interchangeability but lots of positives and ticks the boxes in so many ways - except price.
12-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GXRUser Quote
I love the Q except outside in bright light. It needs an EVF.
Just get one of these.
12-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #19

"That made me check something: the Nikon also does not have focus-peaking or any MF assist"

The Nikon has no metering AT ALL for non-Nikon adapted lenses.

Shawn

12-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Just get one of these.
Amen. My OVF has changed how I use the Q and how long the battery lasts dramatically. They're not expensive either.
12-09-2012, 02:35 AM   #21
Pentaxian

V1 works too, as does any other camera in 2012 (going to 2013)
Cameras are all very good nowadays imo.
Just boils down to preferences/unique needs.

But then so does my m4/3 G3, and it works even better with its features, sensor size (2x vs 2.5x crop), very nice small/fast lenses.
Same or more applies to OMD of course.

The Q to me is fun and compliments my Pentax DSLR real well (thats what I find it different from my G3 and by some extension a V1)
Unique macro/tele options with focus peaking and SR.
Taking so little space/weight in the bag as a backup/complementary camera (together with a 01 and fisheye)
12-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
...the V1 is definitely the better choice.
Dunno... When I was doing my research, I was surprised to read the reviews of so many who were disappointed with their Nikon V1 compared to the number of others who were pleasantly surprised by their Pentax Q. Perhaps, the V1 is too perfect in some ways, yet fatally compromised in others. For me, the Q seemed to offer more positive creative challenges which, in turn, would help fuel my personal struggle to become a better photographer. So far, the Q is delivering the goods in more ways than I imagined. I'm quite the happy camper.

...just sayin'...M

12-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #23
Veteran Member

If image quality is paramount that is to say, if you value image quality, if that matters at all... the V1 is definitely the better choice. In that regard it is superior to the Q.

For every person you can point to who whined about their V1, I'll point to 10 are elated with their V1.
Fine. By those standards the K-01 beats the V1 silly.
12-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If image quality is paramount that is to say, if you value image quality, if that matters at all... the V1 is definitely the better choice. In that regard it is superior to the Q.
No doubt the V1 is superior to the Q in image quality, but speaking as the OP, "if image quality is paramount that is to say, if you value image quality, if that matters at all..." I have an (aging) K-5 and DA primes that will blow the V1 out of the water.

My consideration of the V1 has primarily been because I like the portability of the Q over the K-5, but at a similar price of $300, the Nikon MILC looks pretty tempting for what it offers.

So I went to the local B/M camera store yesterday and tried out a Nikon 1 V1 (which they wouldn't price match to B&H since this is Canada, so there was no way I'd buy it from them, at $700), but at least they'd put the latest firmware in it! Naturally, they also trotted out the Nikon 1 V2 (rocket) and for my curiosity, the behemoth D800...

Anyhow, my impressions of the V1 were "mixed," to say the least. It is an incredible camera for the price, especially at $300-350 that it goes for in the states! The AF is incredibly fast, even faster than the D800 we had sitting next to it! Some of that may be due to lens choice or light levels, but still... just wow. The build quality is also quite good, almost as solid as the Q, and the little grip-bump wasn't as hard to hold as I'd imagined from photos (but $100 for a simple accessory grip? c'mon!).

The EVF is quite nice, and the back LCD is also just brilliant (Pentax, please source this 3" LCD!), but the "eye sensor" that turns one off and other on when you put your face to it is just distracting. Every time I put the camera to my eye to take a shot, there was a perceptible blackout while the EVF kicked in. It was like shutting your eyes (not just a blink), which could suck when trying to catch a moment... I would immediately disable that and leave the EVF on all the time - just call up the back LCD when I needed to change a menu option or something. Jeez, that got annoying, and the sales guys had no idea how to stop it.

However, probably the biggest surprise was just how physically BIG the V1 feels. This isn't even compared to the Q (which might be comical)! I understand the V1 battery is DSLR-sized so it will weigh more, and the EVF is going to have to stick up somewhere. I put a premium on ergonomics (not to say "paramount" but...), so as I handled the V1, I still wondered how much of that flattened-off aluminum body is solely there to mimic a monolithic Apple design aesthetic, since the V2 is smaller in many dimensions (but has a built-in grip and larger EVF hump).

I won't go into the menu system, since it would certainly get easier to grep with time (coming from Pentax), but the single physical mode selector that forces the "magic methods" of photography (motion-stills?) over traditional controls for shutter speed and aperture... that felt not-so-bad at first, but after 15 minutes I wanted any DSLR with physical controls for photography! As an aside, the V2 redesign includes a physical PASM dial and top-mounted control wheel, so along with the grip and size, Nikon has definitely made some changes for ergonomic and functional reasons.

Anyhow, I really don't think I'll get a V1 and its zoom and "normal" prime, even at current prices. The difference between my K-5 and the Q is clear, in both performance and intent. Of course image quality and autofocus matter to me (which is why I'll still gripe sometimes), but when it comes to a second "system," so does portability and ease-of-use for photography. To me, the V1 is an "either/or" trade-off between them, while the new Nikon 1 V2, or an Olympus PEN or other m4/3ds, seem to be better balanced in these areas.

For anyone else reading this thread, it may be a very different matter. Like I said, the V1 is a great bargain at the current $300 price, and if it feels good to you, it probably won't disappoint.

Last edited by panoguy; 12-09-2012 at 01:43 PM.
12-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #25

".. that felt not-so-bad at first, but after 15 minutes I wanted any DSLR with physical controls for photography! As an aside, the V2 redesign includes a physical PASM dial and top-mounted control wheel"

If you get a chance try shooting with one of the Fuji mirrorless cameras. From an ergonomic point of view having dedicated dials for shutter speed, aperture and exposure compensation is very nice. No need for a PASM dial. Both shutter and aperture dials have an "A" position. If you set a shutter speed and have aperture on A you are in shutter priority, if you have shutter on A and set an aperture you are in aperture priority, if you set shutter and aperture you are in manual and if you put them both in "A" you are in program mode.

Of course Fuji then has to go and screw that brilliance up with ergonomic wackiness in the menus. For example to adjust ISO when in OVF mode you use the command dial... but when in EVF mode you use the four way controller.

Shawn
12-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For every person you can point to who whined about their V1, I'll point to 10 are elated with their V1.
Unlike you I guess, I don't find "elated", or fan-boy testimonials very useful.

Cheers...M
12-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #27
Pentaxian

thanks for the impressions of the V1, panoguy! definitely has helped my thinking on this.
12-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have both the Sigma DP1M and the K-01. The Sigma only beats the K-01 sometimes. The sigma must stay below Iso 1000 ( higher and the Q beats it), it also has less dynamic range than the K-01. I am also at a loss to figure out how to get the DP1M to match the K-01 with the Pentax 12-24 (at 24)on it.

I have a hard time making sense of the Nikon. It is a little sensor camera that is big. There are M43 cameras smaller.
thanks
barondla
12-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #29
Pentaxian

If anyone is interested, I saw that the V1 is on sale today at Main Daily Deal, 1 Sale A Day for just $250. This is brand-new, not refurbished. I'm still not going to bite though.