Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

FullHD movie quality is very poor.

I've just bought the PENTAX Q and am disappointed in the FullHD (1080p) movie quality.
Does anyone have some tips to get better quality in FullHD movie mode because as it stand my Samsung Galaxy S2 is much better.

HD (720p) seems much better, but I'd prefer to shoot in FullHD when I use movie mode.

(No, this is not the reason I bought the Q.. But you know, I expected it to be better than a camera phone!)

12-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you change the "quality" (number of stars)? And things like fps and stuff affect the perceived quality as well. Did you try different settings?
12-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not much of a video shooter, but the Q has impressed me so far. I use a shutter speed of 1/30 when possible without stopping down too much, lowest ISO of course.
12-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hmm, the Q has a 1/2.3-inch 12.4 MP sensor while your phone has a 1/3.2-inch 8 MP sensor (29 vs 21 square mm's), so the IQ itself is going to be comparable if we assume the phone's lens delivers decent performance.

The phone has a bunch of fancy automation, while the Q's video recording options are fairly basic and AE isn't too great- so you have to shoot manually to get the most out of it. Therefore, for everyday video shooting I would stick to the phone. The Q has two big advantages, though: interchangeable lenses and a tripod mount. Make use of them

I know that for everyday videos, my friend's iphone 5 will do a better job than my K-5 when it comes to getting the exposure right. That's an unfortunately reality, but hey, DSLRs are designed for stills.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Na Horuk
Yeh there's very little in the way of movie quality settings in the menu system, but manual exposure control before shooting is possible.

@baro-nite
I've tried various manual settings with limited difference. What bugs me the most is that angled straight edges are stepped rather than smooth. I assume the sensor is being cropped to something like 5Mp.
Detail is washed out and whites are easily blown..

@Adam
The lens on the Galaxy S2 must be exceptional, it's tiny..!
The best camera for shooting video clips is the one in your hand
02-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I used my Q to record a couple of songs at a Gojira concert two nights ago. I was filming from the balcony of the venue, with the 02 lens on full zoom at times. Turned out pretty well, I thought! Sounds clear, too.
02-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Okra Quote
I used my Q to record a couple of songs at a Gojira concert two nights ago. I was filming from the balcony of the venue, with the 02 lens on full zoom at times. Turned out pretty well, I thought! Sounds clear, too.
I play in a few bands and run sound on occasion. The first (and so far only) video I've taken with it was under stage lighting at a live show I did sound for. I thought it looked quite good, and as you say, the sound was surprisingly clear and undistorted. I expected some AGC pumping or clipping in a live performance scenario, but the Q handled the audio very well.

Beats the snot out of my Motorola Droid, for sure. And the video quality is much better than my Zoom Q3, but the audio on the Zoom Q3 might be a bit better. I'd have to directly compare to know for sure though... Not too shabby when you consider the Zoom Q3 is basically a pro audio stereo field recorder with a digital camcorder tacked on.