Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Unusual SR noises

I've had a Q since Saturday, enjoying it a lot so far.
But one thing bugs me when SR is enabled, the electronic noises coming from the camera!
Turn off SR and it stops..

Can other Q owners confirm this is normal? (You may have to hold the camera to your ear if you are in a noisy environment)

My two concerns are that
[a] All this SR action is draining the battery quicker (it continues even with the camera sat still on a table with the lens cap on!)
and
[b] Extra wear and tear on the SR.

Attached is an audio sample of what I hear coming from the camera.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 03-21-2013 at 10:29 PM.
12-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's normal to hear some noise (not sure if the noise in your file was amplified or not), but I wouldn't worry too much about wear-and-tear as there haven't been any user reports of it failing as such.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I also hear sounds like that coming out of my Q when I hold my ear to the camera. If you select Shake Reduction option 1 in C1 item 4 the noise will only happen when the shutter is 1/2 depressed

Hans
12-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes I'm accustomed to SR noises, I have a K-7 and like the 'Q' there is an initialisation noise when the camera is turned on and off and sounds of it working while in use, though this 'Q' SR noise is continuous even when the camera is stationary AND with the lens cap on.

The mic was held against the camera for the recording for maximum pickup, though held against the ear it's quite loud (to my ears)

12-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I also hear sounds like that coming out of my Q when I hold my ear to the camera. If you select Shake Reduction option 1 in C1 item 4 the noise will only happen when the shutter is 1/2 depressed
Ah yes, that does help (ease my mind).. Though I do like to see the SR in live view..
Oh well, can't have everything I suppose.. Thanks