Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Would you buy a Q display model?

Found a Q with the 01 prime for a good price, but it was a display model. It has some handling wear, but the lens is in good shape and it works fine -- and still includes the full warranty. Is it worth the risk? I'm hard pressed to find a Q with the 8.5mm prime anywhere for less than $400, otherwise I wouldn't even consider this...

Charles.

12-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's the Q with the 5-15mm zoom for $246: Pentax Q 12.4MP 3" LCD Screen Digital Camera w/ Zoom Lens Kit & 8GB SD Card ShopNBC.com
Here's the Q with the prime for $250 + $35 shipping: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/206429-sale-p...ody-400-a.html

I would opt for the zoom personally. The Q isn't very versatile with the prime, and without bokeh to mess with, what's the point?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have absolutely no interest in the zoom. I want a fast lens as I do a lot of low-light photography. That Q is in Oz, I'm in the US.

Charles.
12-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would have no problem buying a display Q. It has been a very reliable camera and you are getting the full waranty. The only thing that would worry me is if the camera was displayed without a lens. I know it is stupid to do this but I see it a lot. Shoot some pics to make sure the sensor is clean by using manual focus. shoot a white wall or the sky with lens out of focus and close lens down to f8. If camera is clean I would buy it- with a discount or have them throw in the extended warranty.

To me, the 8.5mm prime was numbered correctly by Pentax- #1! Would never get rid of mine. The zoom is a nice lens though.
get that Q
thanks
barondla

12-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
That Q is in Oz, I'm in the US.
It's still a great deal (285), but I can understand if you don't want to import stuff. Here's a new Q for 390: Amazon.com: Pentax Q 12.4 MP CMOS Sensor Kit with 8.5mm 1.9 AL [IF] Prime Lens(Black): Camera & Photo

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It should be possible to getter a better deal than that. I bought a new Q with the 8.5mm prime last week here in Oz for A$200 (about US$200)

BTW, if you buy from Oz, you should be able to take 9.1% (1/11th) off the price as you won't have to pay the GST (tax) which, unlike the USA, is already included in the price.

Buying internationally isn't a problem - I buy regularly from the USA, Hong Kong, and China because prices are so much better than here in Australia.

(Note: the GST is 10% but when you want to take that off the price incl. GST, then you take off 9.1% - work out the maths )

Last edited by p38arover; 12-15-2012 at 06:14 AM.
12-15-2012, 01:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

go for ex demo

Hi Charles,
I purchased mine in JAN2012 black Q +01 +02 ex demo at cost ~ 40% of full price, with 12 months Pentax warranty, took it around the World , no problems at all.
highly recommended deal.
yes , you are right the prime is absolute joy ( just crop image if needed), hardly ever use 02.
I just picked up 06 ( and Pentax Q2K adapter) apparently great lens, that might change statistics.

kind regards
jack
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Found a Q with the 01 prime for a good price, but it was a display model. It has some handling wear, but the lens is in good shape and it works fine -- and still includes the full warranty. Is it worth the risk? I'm hard pressed to find a Q with the 8.5mm prime anywhere for less than $400, otherwise I wouldn't even consider this...

Charles.

12-15-2012, 04:17 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Oooohhhhh.....you meant Pentax Q Display Model.

I thought you meant Pentax Q Display Model....

Name:  a05.JPG
Views: 917
Size:  96.2 KB

Name:  alba06.JPG
Views: 1077
Size:  91.7 KB

Well my answer would obviously still be "No."

pfft duh...

*ahem*

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 12-15-2012 at 04:24 AM. Reason: typo
12-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I thought you meant Pentax Q Display Model....

Well my answer would obviously still be "No."
Nothing wrong with something cute, small, and fun... but you do have to be a little into that "Japanese aesthetic."
Of course, if you want a more "western" style model, there's the Q10.

But no, given current availability and prices, I wouldn't go for a display model at that price.

And the 01 Prime kicks the 02 to the curb in terms of IQ (and bokeh). You just have to get off your chair and "zoom with your feet."

Last edited by panoguy; 12-15-2012 at 09:11 AM.
12-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What if the display model was $300... worth it? No idea if it's been displayed without the lens, it's not local, it's an internet order.

Charles.
12-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I see Target are selling on-line for $300 with the zoom lens. A quick check on the 'net shows they have a temporary price cut (and I'm not in the USA and I could find it). See Pentax Q 12.4MP Digital Camera with 02 Zoom Lens... : Target
12-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Again, I don't want the zoom.

Charles
12-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is worth it. I would get it. Can you return it if it doesn't meet your standards?

If it is an internet company, it most likely wasn't displayed without a lens. Probably only employees have touched it. The reason B&M stores do it is to keep the lens from coming up missing. Why they can't put the body cap in place is anyone's guess.

The Q is a tough hombre. Go for it. Start enjoying Q photography.
thanks and good luck
barondla
12-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #14

KEH has a "LN-" Q with the 8.5mm for $299.

While it doesn't guarantee that it's life wasn't spent on a shelf with no cap/lens on it, I doubt KEH would rate it like that if the sensor was covered with dust.
12-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I would personally be fine with a display model at the right price. I bought my Q with the Prime brand new for $285 a few months back. It would honestly have to be well under that price point for me to consider a floor model.

Also, I am totally with you on going with the Prime instead of the Telephoto. Love my Prime to death especially for low light work.