Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2012, 06:02 AM   #1

New Q?

Are there plans to keep the Q in the product line? And how about sensor upgrade and expanded lens lineup?

12-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q10: announced September 2012, released October 2012
06 Telephoto Zoom lens: announced September 2012, released November 2012
The (old) lens roadmap shows the Telephoto Zoom and additional lenses as well, which is a "future."

So... yes, it is still in the product line.

Last edited by panoguy; 12-15-2012 at 08:17 AM.
12-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #3

"Mount cap lens" what this is about?
12-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

mount lens cap is the same thing as the skink pinhole pancake lens, they probably postponed it or decided not to release it, the Q's sensor is to small for a pinhole, every little spot on your sensor will show up and image will be dizzying to look at, most pinhole shooter use medium to large format, I don't even like to look at 35mm pinhole images...

12-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderography Quote
mount lens cap is the same thing as the skink pinhole pancake lens, they probably postponed it or decided not to release it, the Q's sensor is to small for a pinhole, every little spot on your sensor will show up and image will be dizzying to look at, most pinhole shooter use medium to large format, I don't even like to look at 35mm pinhole images...
thank U
12-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
(...)
The (old) lens roadmap shows the Telephoto Zoom and additional lenses as well, which is a "future."
(...)
This is the latest roadmap, shown during Photokina:

Note that the "Telephoto Prime" from the former roadmap is now a "Telephoto Macro".
12-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi Ken,

I've also heard it mentioned that the Brass at Pentax/Ricoh has stated that they are committed to the Q system, which I take means the foreseeable future -- nothing is a complete lock. I don't have links, but I think it's been mentioned a number of times. With the recent release of the Q10, 06 tele zoom, and the high-end K2Q adapter, and the recent update to the lens roadmap, I think these add up to a pretty positive indication of future intentions.

Scott

12-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Q has been the best selling interchangeable lens camera, in the home land of Japan recently. When is the last time Pentax pulled that off? Ricoh/Pentax has to be jazzed by this. Must be their most successful camera in years!

Even in the US it is snow balling. Recently a dedicated bird photographer asked me about this Q camera. He is a FF only shooter. The word is getting out to the birders. If only Pentax would run an ad showing the Q10/ adapter with a 55-300, and red dot scope. The Q shall continue.

Not sure the body cap lens is a pinhole. That wouldn't take long to develop. Heck, I could build that in a half hour. Pentax knows a pinhole won't look good on the Q. Think it is going to be a real "pancake" type lens that is very sharp and allows the Q to fit in a shirt pocket. M4/3 now has such a lens. Like a minature 40 Limited. Pentax is trying to break me.
thanks
barondla
The future of the Q looks so bright.
12-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #9

Original Poster
I m looking for a backup to my K-30 and its between the K-01
And the Q, if I was sure the Q was going to be around for a long time it would be no contest and it sound like that's the case. I've got a decision to make but I don't think it's going to be a tough one!
12-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by KenMasonphotography Quote
I m looking for a backup to my K-30 and its between the K-01
And the Q, if I was sure the Q was going to be around for a long time it would be no contest and it sound like that's the case. I've got a decision to make but I don't think it's going to be a tough one!
It's not a tough one IMO. Get the K-01, you'll get much better images The Q is cool, but it's more of a P&S / extreme tele / extreme macro camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-16-2012, 04:31 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks Adams for the advice, I wish Pentax would make it easier for me to choose. I like your thoughts and I will be using the camera as a backup to my K-30 so I want the best pic quality I can get. It's the K-01, I'll take your advice. I'll keep you posted on my results if you'd like. Thanks again, Ken Mason
12-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Hi Ken,

As a backup, the K01 is probably the better choice. I have older DSLR bodies that can back up my primary. As a carry-all-the-time camera system that expands my photographic capabilities, the Q was the easy choice for me. It really ends up to be a matter of priorities.

Scott
12-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the fire sale prices both cameras are at, get them both! You can get a Q and a K-01 for less than either camera sold for at introduction. 2 for 1 camera sales rarely come along.
thanks
barondla
12-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks snowstorm I did get the K-01 today. I also have a WG-2 and a Samsung WB150 P+S cameras to carry around, oh I almost forgot I just got the iPhone 5 which has an 8mp camera. If I have some money left over after Christmas I might get the Q and a K lens adapter.

Ken Mason