Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Which K->Q adapter to buy?

I'm looking for an inexpensive k-mount adapter for the Q. I don't care about flash sync, I plan to use this with my 50mm f1.7 and 100mm f3.5, to make some nice fast telephotos. I might also want to use my 55-300 DA on it as well.

Most of the ones I see on eBay are from Secret Pirate Island (Hong Kong)... I'd rather not order from HK, because it takes four years to receive the item and if there's a problem with it, it costs more to ship it back than it does to just give up and eat the loss.

Charles.

12-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get the Fotodiox one on Amazon. Make sure you get the one with aperture control if you want to use the DA lenses.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006NQ9T34/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1355724647&sr=8-1&pi=SL75
12-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's not rated particularly highly, but then there's only one review right now...

Charles.
12-16-2012, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

See the thread The Reach of the Q in the Q forum for real world results.
Also th thread about the new Pentax adapter has a comparison I did.

12-17-2012, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Get the Fotodiox one on Amazon....
+1

If you go the 3rd party adapter route, be warned. Please keep in mind in doing so you are embarking on a grand experiment; that is, you are betting through the use of personal creative cunning and skill, you can make the camera do something it was NOT designed to do. There's a very real possibility that you will NOT like the fuss and hassle associated with using adapted lenses. Should that be the case, just consider the cost (time, effort and money) tuition and just move on. Spare the need to need to obsess endlessly over how you were victimized by... yada...yada...

Thank you (in advance).

Cheers...M
12-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Fotodiox one shown on the link does not have aperture control but looks like the normal eBay ones.

I have the RJ version.
12-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Most of the ones I see on eBay are from Secret Pirate Island (Hong Kong)... I'd rather not order from HK, because it takes four years to receive the item and if there's a problem with it, it costs more to ship it back than it does to just give up and eat the loss.

Charles.
Earlier this year I bought a no glass Minolta MD to K mount adapter from Terrence Camera in Shenzhen, China. It was shipped USPS (!) and only took about a week to arrive - with tracking. It was shipped from China. Granted the Q adapter is a lot larger so shipping options might be different.

12-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I couldn't find that comparison thread. Where is it?

Charles.
12-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
If you go the 3rd party adapter route, be warned. Please keep in mind in doing so you are embarking on a grand experiment; that is, you are betting through the use of personal creative cunning and skill, you can make the camera do something it was NOT designed to do. There's a very real possibility that you will NOT like the fuss and hassle associated with using adapted lenses. Should that be the case, just consider the cost (time, effort and money) tuition and just move on. Spare the need to need to obsess endlessly over how you were victimized by... yada...yada...
Agreed, I think to get reasonable results it does take some dedication, as well as time to experiment with lenses that may have not been tested or proven as working well with the Q.

The comparison of IQ results between my Pentax Official adapter and the Fotodiox with Aperture Control one I had until recently are here.
The lenses used for the comparison were the DA*300 and Sigma 70-200 HSM II.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/205119-original-pentax-q-pk-adap...ml#post2184381

Earlier in the thread there is a comparison between the RJ adapter and the Pentax one.

It's not rated particularly highly, but then there's only one review right now...
Now there are two (I added one.) Note the first review was from someone here who received the wrong adapter, so his comment had nothing to do with the adapter itself since he does not own it.
12-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Agreed, I think to get reasonable results it does take some dedication, as well as time to experiment with lenses that may have not been tested or proven as working well with the Q.

The comparison of IQ results between my Pentax Official adapter and the Fotodiox with Aperture Control one I had until recently are here.
The lenses used for the comparison were the DA*300 and Sigma 70-200 HSM II.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/205119-original-pentax-q-pk-adap...ml#post2184381

Earlier in the thread there is a comparison between the RJ adapter and the Pentax one.

Now there are two (I added one.) Note the first review was from someone here who received the wrong adapter, so his comment had nothing to do with the adapter itself since he does not own it.
That would be me ;-) although i did get an email from Fotodiox yesterday saying that they are sorry for the inconvenience and would send me the right one to any address...

Edit: Just got the right one delivered, free of charge to Bogota Colombia, after just two weeks, Fotodiox seems to be a serious company.

Last edited by mgbirder; 01-04-2013 at 08:41 PM.
04-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #11

QuoteQuote:
That would be me ;-) although i did get an email from Fotodiox yesterday saying that they are sorry for the inconvenience and would send me the right one to any address...

Edit: Just got the right one delivered, free of charge to Bogota Colombia, after just two weeks, Fotodiox seems to be a serious company.
Glad to find this post as the same thing just happened to me. Ordered the Fotodiox adapter with aperture dial and received the one without the dial. Bought via Amazon, so I have sent email via Amazon requesting the right one. Based on your experience, here's hoping I get the same customer support you did!
04-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I couldn't find that comparison thread. Where is it?

Charles.
Charles I used the Fotodiox with aperture ring for several months with good results but decided to get the Pentax with shutter because I shoot mostly hand held. If I pan motion the Fotodiox would distort (jello) the background and if I move the camera I would get some distorted stripes in the image. If you use a tripod the Fotodiox is great.

Hans
06-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #13

hi.
Anyone kind enough to share, detail procedures on how to use k-q adapter with aperture ring, both for DA lenses and non-DAs?
like what setting need to change on the Q itself, then should i close or open the aperture ring on the adapter, and then how to get good picture/how to do manual focus.

thanks heaps
Win
06-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by erwinsie Quote
hi.
Anyone kind enough to share, detail procedures on how to use k-q adapter with aperture ring, both for DA lenses and non-DAs?
like what setting need to change on the Q itself, then should i close or open the aperture ring on the adapter, and then how to get good picture/how to do manual focus.

thanks heaps
Win
For the Pentax adapter a guide is here. Using the K-Mount Adapter for Pentax Q - Photographic Articles - PentaxForums.com

I no longer have the Fotodiox and don't know if there is an instructional although I thought someone did a video. Check YouTube.
06-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #15

Look at this video, it is very helpful on how to mount and use the adapter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPpAQ_bJQ-Y