Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2012, 03:23 AM   #1

Can't find a UK supplier for the Standard 01 lens

I got a Q10 with the 02 Zoom kit. Now I can't see anyone in the UK selling the 01 8.5mm f/1.9. Does anyone know of a supplier? The only place I've seen the 01 for sale is with a Q.

12-18-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The naked 01 does not seem to be available yet, at least here in the colonies. Several low-volume on-line vendors are selling it, but it is most likely a pull from a kit. That is how I got mine. It will be confirmed when it arrives in the post if it doesn't come in its own box and its own single-sheet 'manual'. Eventually, it should be available, especially since it is not part of a bundle with the body anymore. If you can't wait, (like me), start searching on-line.
12-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

HI Neil,

I think it will take Pentax/Ricoh a while (hopefully short) before they might see the possible error in Pentax/Hoya's original marketing scheme to only offer the 01 prime in a kit with the original Q. The 02 zoom is, in contemporary terms, the definition of a "kit" lens -- a wide to short tele variable aperture zoom, and the 01 prime is a fast "normal" prime -- traditionally offered in a film SLR "kit", but now a special-featured accessory lens. I think that this might have been done to target film SLR and DSLR users as a market for the Q since the introductory price of the Q was so high.

Not that they would listen to me, but it seems more practical to normally offer the 02 zoom as the normal "kit" lens (with an optional 02 + 06 two zoom package) and offer the 01 prime separately as a "fast 50" prime lens for those who want it. This leaves an opening for them to replicate the FL range of the "kit" zoom (5-15mm) with a "pro spec" zoom in the same range with an f2.8 or faster constant aperture -- as well as some fast primes. They've already shown with the 06 zoom that it's possible to make a compact, optically very good, 80-250 EQ "pro spec" (f2.8 constant aperture) zoom -- IMO at a very good price (under $300 -- and that's the intro price!)

The Q system is still in its fledgling state, but I think it's left the nest and is finding its wings -- at least I think so, but I'm biased -- we'll have to wait and see how things go. . .

Scott
12-19-2012, 03:40 AM   #4

Original Poster
Scott, I think you're probably right in everything you've said.

Hopefully it won't take Pentax too long to get the 01 prime out there.

12-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I received my 01 in the mail today. It is definitly a pull from a kit. No box. No manual. No warranty card. Nothing except for the pouch bubble wrap. It is new. Not a hint of dust or finger prints anywhere.

So, for the time being, any 01 lenses that you find are going to be taken from a kit. It is possible that someone is selling their copy, or a second copy, but those will not be from businesses.

Good luck in your search. I nabbed one, and I'm sure I paid too much. Oh well ... I save in a lot of other areas.
12-20-2012, 02:20 AM   #6

Original Poster
I don't know how much you paid for it, but I suspect right now it could well be cheaper to buy a Q-original + Prime lens than it would be to buy the prime separately. It would certainly be easier. A crazy state of affairs.
12-20-2012, 02:30 AM   #7

PENTAX Q + 8.5mm PRIME LENS - EX DEMO - 2 YEARS WARRANTY - UK DEALER 027075194847 | eBay

this is in the UK just sell the body.

Jim
12-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NeilGratton Quote
I don't know how much you paid for it...
$243.79 to my front door. No local sales tax, no shipping charges. Through Amazon, but not from them.