Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2013, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's Alive!

Hey Folks!

For those that are still looking for a compatible tripod foot for their Pentax Adapter Q to K Mount (or DA*60-250, or DA*300), looky what I received from Hong Kong today:

Yes, that's a functional "Pentax-style" clamp on the back. Fits my DA*60-250 perfectly (actually has less wiggle than the OEM foot) and the plate is longer and arca-swiss compatible as well.

The upright clamp is attached to a universal lens plate (which comes in different lengths, this one is 100mm or ~4") by 4 screws, meaning it can be reversed if you don't like where the (prototype) knob is. Also, that upright clamp tower has a 1/4" thread on the bottom as well, so it can be taken off the arca-plate and attached to different types of quick-release plates (Manfrotto RC series or other proprietary types) or possibly even an L-bracket!

One interesting departure from the Pentax design is where the knob is in relation to the moving "wedge" part. In the Pentax design, you turn the knob and it "pushes" the wedge inward toward the mount, but in this design, turning the knob "pulls" the wedge from the opposite side, giving a stronger clamp action!

Again, this is just an aluminum and brass CNC prototype, so I can't say where to order them or how much they are... but it seems this manufacturer of camera support gear is serious about supporting Pentax's weird tripod foot design!

Last edited by panoguy; 03-13-2013 at 07:18 PM.
03-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Hey Folks!

For those that are still looking for a compatible tripod foot for their Pentax Adapter Q to K Mount (or DA*60-250, or DA*300), looky what I received from Hong Kong today:

Yes, that's a functional "Pentax-style" clamp on the back. Fits my DA*60-250 perfectly (actually has less wiggle than the OEM foot) and the plate is longer and arca-swiss compatible as well.

The upright clamp is attached to a universal lens plate (which comes in different lengths, this one is 100mm or ~4") by 4 screws, meaning it can be reversed if you don't like where the (prototype) knob is. Also, that upright clamp tower has a 1/4" thread on the bottom as well, so it can be taken off the arca-plate and attached to different types of quick-release plates (Manfrotto RC series or other proprietary types) or possibly even an L-bracket!

One interesting departure from the Pentax design is where the knob is in relation to the moving "wedge" part. In the Pentax design, you turn the knob and it "pushes" the wedge inward toward the mount, but in this design, turning the knob "pulls" the wedge from the opposite side, giving a stronger clamp action!

Again, this is just an aluminum and brass CNC prototype, so I can't say where to order them or how much they are... but it seems this manufacturer of camera support gear is serious about supporting Pentax's weird tripod foot design!
I like it! The integrated Arca plate is a great idea. If these become available I'll likely pick one up.
03-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hey Folks!

WHOA!!!!! I WANT ONE OF THOSE!!!! (even though I have two Extra Pentax OEMs)
03-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Hey Folks! For those that are still looking for a compatible tripod foot for their Pentax Adapter Q to K Mount (or DA*60-250, or DA*300), looky what I received from Hong Kong today:
Very nice design! Looks like it is very finely crafted and really like how the jaws work.

I haven't broken down and bought the genuine adapter yet, but have the feeling I will once I get to using my Q on a daily basis if it ever warms up......I will likely be in for one if an order is put together.

03-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Hey Folks!

it is very interesting keep us in the loop

Hans
03-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Hi panoguy,

I'd be interested in one of these also. Please keep us updated as to if and when it will become available.

Scott
03-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I WANT ONE OF THOSE!!!!
Me too!

03-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #98

A Proposal for Action

Hey Folks!

Would it be useful, desireable and/or possible to form an impromptu "buying club" to arrange a large enough guaranteed purchase of either this tripod foot, or the Pentax model, to get a supplier's attention and break the "logjam"? One notion might be to arrange a 'block purchase' through B&H. I would like to solve this problem and get on with the point of the whole exercise - taking pictures!

Last edited by Flinty; 03-16-2013 at 09:35 PM.
03-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bulk purchase

QuoteOriginally posted by Flinty Quote
Would it be useful, desireable and/or possible to form an impromptu "buying club" to arrange a large enough guaranteed purchase of either this tripod foot, or the Pentax model, to get a supplier's attention and break the "logjam"? One notion might be to arrange a 'block purchase' through B&H. I would like to solve this problem and get on with the point of the whole exercise - taking pictures!
Sounds like a reasonable idea.
03-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #100
Pentaxian

FYI: I've gotten some additional information from the manufacturer, including firm prices based on a run of 50-100 units. I will start another thread with this information in a few hours... (after I eat dinner).
03-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #101

FYI: I've gotten some additional information from the manufacturer, including firm prices based on a run of 50-100 units. I will start another thread with this information in a few hours... (after I eat dinner).
That's welcome news. Thanks.
03-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Excellent. Please place a link to your new thread here to make sure we can find it.
03-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Excellent. Please place a link to your new thread here to make sure we can find it.
Here is the new thread, with more details and the pricing information.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/218882-fanotec-tripod-foot-penta...da-lenses.html

I will update that thread with more information as I get it, and please leave your comments and questions about this non-OEM tripod foot there. Yippee!
03-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Mine was $58.65 including shipping (UPS). I placed the order through the email and all was handled promptly. For a quick, smooth turnaround I included my CC info in my order request. Lynn is a topnotch representative for Pentax.
You included your CC info in an email request?
03-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #105

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for adding to this very useful thread. I went the Rakuten route and wanted to share the experience:

- placed order on March 9
- shipping confirming received on March 14
- arrived from Japan in Toronto on March 18
- total cost 4310 Japanese yen, or about $46 CAD (or $45 USD)

So that seems pretty fast to get from across the Pacific to the east side of North America.

Quite pleased that my Q set up is now more or less complete with the Pentax Q-K adapter and now the foot to use on my tripod. Now I just need some time off to get out and use it all.