Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some news about Pentax Adapter Tripod Foot

I spoke with the nice lady at the Pentax parts department today about the Pentax K-Q adapter and sourcing the tripod foot.
She knew exactly what I was asking about, (seems others may have been inquiring.)
She indicated the tripod foot for the adapter will be available first of the year.
She has a good amount of stock on order but due to holidays will be a couple of weeks before she gets them in.
Price will be $46.65 plus shipping.

I know a couple of folks are looking into making their own, so hopefully this helps in determining if it is worth the effort.

12-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the update.
12-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I spoke with the nice lady at the Pentax parts department today about the Pentax K-Q adapter and sourcing the tripod foot.
She knew exactly what I was asking about, (seems others may have been inquiring.)
She indicated the tripod foot for the adapter will be available first of the year.
She has a good amount of stock on order but due to holidays will be a couple of weeks before she gets them in.

I know a couple of folks are looking into making their own, so hopefully this helps in determining if it is worth the effort.
Great news!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi crewl1,

That's good information!

For anyone interested, I have two Chinese tripod ring clones ordered that should fit the Pentax K to Q adapter, and should get them sometime around within the next two weeks -- one's aluminum, and the other is plastic, and the prices, IIRC are @ $26 and @ $5.50 respectively. The functional difference between these and the Pentax foot would be that the rings would allow the foot to rotate around the adapter, so would be more positionally versatile -- in my case, it would allow me to mount the Q with an adapted lens on a side mount gimbal (Wimberley Sidekick), or would allow me to use a ball head as a functional gimbal by lowering the ball stem into the portrait groove on the head.

I'll be reporting on how these tripod rings work when I get them.

Scott

12-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I am one of those that have already given her my Credit Card info.
12-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I am one of those that have already given her my Credit Card info.
And I am one of those that have never been able to reach anyone in Pentax Parts. What's the secret?
12-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
And I am one of those that have never been able to reach anyone in Pentax Parts. What's the secret?
Luck? The phone rang for quite a bit before it was answered. I called at approx 945 Pacific.
12-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Tin foil hats. Yepper, thats' the key.

Being a Pentaxian with a pointy head, makes the Tin foil hat fit better too.

12-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Tin foil hats. Yepper, thats' the key.

Being a Pentaxian with a pointy head, makes the Tin foil hat fit better too.

You have to gargle before you call, have a water eroded stone in your pocket, and hope in your heart.

-Robert
12-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is great news indeed.
You mention the "foot" while I was probably imagining that this would be more of a "ring + foot" thing.
Am I wrong or is this the complete assembly "foot - ring" ?

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi crewl1,

That's good information!

For anyone interested, I have two Chinese tripod ring clones ordered that should fit the Pentax K to Q adapter, and should get them sometime around within the next two weeks -- one's aluminum, and the other is plastic, and the prices, IIRC are @ $26 and @ $5.50 respectively. The functional difference between these and the Pentax foot would be that the rings would allow the foot to rotate around the adapter, so would be more positionally versatile -- in my case, it would allow me to mount the Q with an adapted lens on a side mount gimbal (Wimberley Sidekick), or would allow me to use a ball head as a functional gimbal by lowering the ball stem into the portrait groove on the head.

Scott
Another interesting piece of news.
So, you are saying that the Chinese knock-off would be more versatile ?

Thanks for the update guys.
As I was mentioning in another thread about making a foot-ring, my son is decidedly interested to go at it but it looks like even at the full Pentax price of $46.00, he wouldn't be able to come up with such a low price.
Pus, the Chinese clones also seem like a very good deal.

I am looking forward to further news on this .... please, let us know!

Cheers.

JP
12-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
You mention the "foot" while I was probably imagining that this would be more of a "ring + foot" thing. Am I wrong or is this the complete assembly "foot - ring" ?
Yes it is a 'foot' that clamps directly to the adapter body.
There is no separate ring as you would typically see that would allow you to rotate the lens while mounted to a tripod.
The tripod foot provides for landscape type mounting only, similar to the third party adapters with a tripod mount screwed into the body.

Snostorm's approach for tripod ring attachment would give you the rotation ability.
12-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

$46 sounds not unreasonable and I am glad you got an answer but the ring seems more useful and practical. If there is one that fits securely that would be my preference for any brand adapter, not just the Pentax model.
12-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
$46 sounds not unreasonable and I am glad you got an answer but the ring seems more useful and practical. If there is one that fits securely that would be my preference for any brand adapter, not just the Pentax model.
Agree, but I'm still going to love the Pentax OEM quality.
12-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi crewl1,

That's good information!

Scott
Scott can you publish the link for the tripod rings, I have a 42mm to Q adapter without a tripod mount that could sure use one.

Thanks Hans
12-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes it is a 'foot' that clamps directly to the adapter body.
There is no separate ring as you would typically see that would allow you to rotate the lens while mounted to a tripod.
The tripod foot provides for landscape type mounting only, similar to the third party adapters with a tripod mount screwed into the body.

Snostorm's approach for tripod ring attachment would give you the rotation ability.
Thanks!
It makes the decision easier.

JP