Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using video to capture stills

I'm not much of a video shooter (yet), but had some fun with Q video recently. To my surprise, even with video shot at 1/30 s, of a hummingbird no less, I can get some surprisingly sharp stills from it. So much so that, given the hit-or-miss (mainly miss) success rate I've had with getting usable bird shots so far, I am considering going video by default for birding, even when all I want is stills. Here are two stills extracted from a video of a male Costa's Hummingbird:

The elusive hummingbird tongue

Pre-flight stretch

and a conventional still from the same session (from a little farther away, also resized a little smaller due to different aspect ratios, to keep within forum size limits):

I'm very happy with the conventional still, but it is highly unlikely I would have captured the moments from the video by shooting stills. I was using 1/30 s to give smooth-looking video; will have to look at some other video I shot at faster speeds to see if there's much difference.

12-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I believe that some other mirrorless cameras out there have this feature built-in (i.e. you can save a still at any time during video recording, without having to extract it after the fact), so I think it's only a matter of time before we'll see it on the Q.

Those are some pretty good shots BTW!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Great shots baro-nite, the video captures look real good. Its nice to catch those fleeting moments such as that stretching pose.
12-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
May I ask which program you used to extract the jpeg? I used virtualdub for my video editing, and it doesn't do frame by frame movement (but has jpeg extraction).

12-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Hi baro-nite,

I'd surprised at the quality of the video captures. This is a very nice discovery -- that it's possible to get good stills from shooting video -- I'm sure there are limitations -- but virtually unlimited 30 fps bursts could be useful in some situations.

BTW, did you read my update to your thread about external flash and adapted lenses?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/206927-external-flash-adapted-lenses.html

Scott
12-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I believe that some other mirrorless cameras out there have this feature built-in (i.e. you can save a still at any time during video recording, without having to extract it after the fact), so I think it's only a matter of time before we'll see it on the Q.
That would be a nice feature. But I gather that means A) pressing a button on the camera (thereby likely jiggling it enough to mess up the video at that point), and B) having to make that decision in real time? What I like about the result I got here is going back afterward and selecting the best moments, which I wouldn't have been able to anticipate in real time.

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Great shots baro-nite, the video captures look real good. Its nice to catch those fleeting moments such as that stretching pose.
Just so, and I was not expecting either the sharpness (because of the low shutter speed I deliberately chose) or the quality.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
May I ask which program you used to extract the jpeg? I used virtualdub for my video editing, and it doesn't do frame by frame movement (but has jpeg extraction).
I'm on OS X and don't have any tips for Windows, sorry. After playing around with iMovie and Quicktime for a while, I simply resorted to OS X screen capture.

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi baro-nite,

I'd surprised at the quality of the video captures. This is a very nice discovery -- that it's possible to get good stills from shooting video -- I'm sure there are limitations -- but virtually unlimited 30 fps bursts could be useful in some situations.

BTW, did you read my update to your thread about external flash and adapted lenses?
Saw that, thanks Scott -- will reply in that thread.