Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Stan,
Didn't you see the post about Penax parts actually answering their phone and saying the foot will arrive after the New Year and will run $45-50?
No I didn't. That is great new (yeah I know - old new to everyone else....).

Thanks for setting me straight Doc!

12-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Thanks for posting your results Scott. While I don't have the Pentax adapter (yet) I am interested in these tripod rings for another selfish reason.

I'm trying to find the best tripod ring for my FA* 300 4.5 lens.

The links you provided show the actual inside dimension of the rings which is a good start for me. I'm going to have to do some serious measuring tomorrow to determine the exact outside dimension of my lens. I have an Opteka brand collar which is an all metal build, but is just a bit too tight though I can make it work which is listed as 67mm. Those you listed show as 68.5mm and 68mm respectively.

Anyone who has been trying these different rings and wants to sell the ones you don't want, let me know via PM.

You know, it really is a shame that Pentax can't provide the proper foot that the adapter was designed for. Even if it was quite expensive, I'm sure that some of us would pony up the money to have the one it was designed for.

Hi Stan,

I happen to have an FA* 300 f4.5, and these rings, even modified to fit the K2Q adapter are still loose on the FA*300. The metal one is more tricky to modify to go significantly smaller, you are pretty much forced to reduce the ID because the locking/tightening mechanism can't be easily modified to make it tighter. With the design of the plastic one, you have quite a bit of room to remove material from the screw hole side of where the two sides connect, so it can be made to fit a significantly smaller lens. It would need this, because even with two pieces of the Velcro, tightened all the way, I can still rotate the lens pretty easily. Take off 1/16 to 1/8" and it should be snug.

I have a JJC TR-1 ring that fits -- barely, but it works -- probably close to or the same thing as your Opteka. It's plastic, and I'm not thrilled trusting my close to irreplaceable FA* on it. Not that it's much help, but the best ring I've found for the FA* 300/4.5 is the one that came with my Tamron SP 80-200 f2.8 Adaptall 2. I've been considering trying one of the metal Canon A(W) clones -- they're listed at 66mm ID, and I'd look to get one with the straight screw down attachment so it would be easier to modify it to make it smaller if needed -- my FA* 300/4.5 measures very close to 65mm. This ring would require less of a mod and probably be more secure.

Scott
12-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Stan,

I happen to have an FA* 300 f4.5, and these rings, even modified to fit the K2Q adapter are still loose on the FA*300. The metal one is more tricky to modify to go significantly smaller, you are pretty much forced to reduce the ID because the locking/tightening mechanism can't be easily modified to make it tighter. With the design of the plastic one, you have quite a bit of room to remove material from the screw hole side of where the two sides connect, so it can be made to fit a significantly smaller lens. It would need this, because even with two pieces of the Velcro, tightened all the way, I can still rotate the lens pretty easily. Take off 1/16 to 1/8" and it should be snug.

I have a JJC TR-1 ring that fits -- barely, but it works -- probably close to or the same thing as your Opteka. It's plastic, and I'm not thrilled trusting my close to irreplaceable FA* on it. Not that it's much help, but the best ring I've found for the FA* 300/4.5 is the one that came with my Tamron SP 80-200 f2.8 Adaptall 2. I've been considering trying one of the metal Canon A(W) clones -- they're listed at 66mm ID, and I'd look to get one with the straight screw down attachment so it would be easier to modify it to make it smaller if needed -- my FA* 300/4.5 measures very close to 65mm. This ring would require less of a mod and probably be more secure.

Scott
Sorry to take this off topic like this, but here is the ring I have. It is a very tight fit on the lens. I can't tighten the thumbscrew all the way - leaves a 1/8-1/4 inch gap at the screw connection point.

Amazon.com: Opteka Tripod Collar Mount for the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF 300mm f/4L USM, & EF 400mm f/5.6L USM SLR Lenses: Camera & Photo

Notice in this pic the one edge of the ring is actually hanging over the aperature ring but not covering the metal lens ID tag. If I move the ring foward it will be over the tag and makes a very tight fit. I am concerned that using it like that will mar the metal tag.

While it does work, I would sure like a better option. Maybe this one would be tighter on the Q adapter?

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:13 AM.
12-20-2012, 01:38 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi Stan,

I think that's like the one I'd get -- I'd probably stick with it.

A bit small in circumference with this kind of ring is alright if you don't tighten it down too hard -- It will not put totally even pressure on the lens barrel, so too tight could distort it over time. Make it just tight enough so the lens won't rotate in the ring.

Scott

12-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
No I didn't. That is great new (yeah I know - old new to everyone else....).

Thanks for setting me straight Doc!
No problem. There's so much going on and so many people contributing to our Q knowledge base that its hard to keep up.
12-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #21
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
That's funny -- I can't imagine what they might be thinking caused this surge of popularity for this tripod ring. . .

Scott
Blame me among others
Thanks Scott
05-22-2015, 06:19 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi Snostorm, I know this is an old thread. Sorry for resurrecting something from the grave.

I have just bought the Pentax Q to K adapter. Waiting for it to arrive. In the meantime I am scouting for a collar mount and came to this thread.

NEW Tripod Mount Ring Lens Collar Support FOR Canon EF 100mm F 2 8L IS USM Macro | eBay

It looks to me that the collar mount as per link above is the exact same one u used but the seller said in the listing that the collar is not suitable for Canon Macro 100....I am kinda confused.

If you could shed some light that will be most appreciated.

Thanks
05-23-2015, 05:18 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi raider,

It's been a while, but looking at the listing, I think the difference is compatibility between the "IS" version of the lens and the "non IS" version. . . I would think that the listing that you linked is probably the right one, especially since it needs to be slightly modified to fit, but I really can't realistically assure you with any authority. . .

Scott

05-23-2015, 05:57 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Thanks Scott. I will take the leap of faith and order from that ebayer..as it looks like all the iShoot collars on eBay are having the exact same listing...
05-23-2015, 08:17 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I recommend you don't waste money and cycles on collars.
Spend a little more and get either the Pentax foot or the Fanotec solution.
You will be happier in the long run.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/218882-fanotec-tripod-foot-p...da-lenses.html
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=371291242133
05-23-2015, 02:57 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I recommend you don't waste money and cycles on collars.
Spend a little more and get either the Pentax foot or the Fanotec solution.
You will be happier in the long run.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/218882-fanotec-tripod-foot-p...da-lenses.html
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=371291242133
Hi crewl, the ebay listing says that fanotec tripod foot is out of stock....come to think of it, my Tamron 70-200 has a tripod collar and foot...do u know if that will work with the Pentax K2Q adapter?
05-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Hi crewl, the ebay listing says that fanotec tripod foot is out of stock....come to think of it, my Tamron 70-200 has a tripod collar and foot...do u know if that will work with the Pentax K2Q adapter?
Any lens with its own tripod foot will work with the adapter.
Just mount the lens to the tripod and attach the adapter and the Q.

You only need the adapter foot if you are using a lens that doesn't have its own tripod mount.
05-23-2015, 10:07 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Any lens with its own tripod foot will work with the adapter.
Just mount the lens to the tripod and attach the adapter and the Q.

You only need the adapter foot if you are using a lens that doesn't have its own tripod mount.
Thanks Crewl for that.