Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

Q macro lenses and zooms

I am a total newb at photography. The pentax q is my first interchangeable lens camera.

I was wondering if any of the "q" sized lens, would be good for macro photography, i seem to enjoy taking photos of smaller things.

And out of the two zoom lenses, the 02 and 06... what is the difference. What is the general purpose of each of these lenses.

Thanks in advance.

12-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 02 lens is a walkaround lens while the 06 lens is a tele (longer zoom) lens.

There is no dedicated macro lens for the Q at the moment, so I believe you would need to adapt an actual macro lens using one of the many available adapters (Pentax K, Canon EOS, Nikon F, MFT, Sony, etc.).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is no macro as such, but the 05 toy tele is a decent close up lens. Depending on what you mean by "smaller" it might be good enough. (The 02 zoom also focuses quite close, but I've never tried it.)
12-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #4

Would a macro lens (say F-mount) with an adapter not be affected by the smaller sensor on the Q? I know the image will appear to be larger but I guess my question is if the crop factor affect the focus at a closer range with a macro lens. Excuse how I'm phrasing all that because I'm new to understand all these terms and concepts.

12-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I guess, I should get the 02 and 06 lenses first... and if they arent adequate, I can probably start looking at adapting a lens to the q.
12-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by MarinatedHerring Quote
Would a macro lens (say F-mount) with an adapter not be affected by the smaller sensor on the Q? I know the image will appear to be larger but I guess my question is if the crop factor affect the focus at a closer range with a macro lens. Excuse how I'm phrasing all that because I'm new to understand all these terms and concepts.
Well a 50mm on the Q would feel almost like a 300mm. So you'll be able to get very high magnification while still being able to keep some distance between you and the subject. With a couple of extension tubes, I believe you can achieve even higher magnifications and get decent results hassle-free. I have yet to try this on the Q, but plan on trying it on Friday (that's when Pentax's latest goodies will be arriving to us for review!).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well a 50mm on the Q would feel almost like a 300mm. So you'll be able to get very high magnification while still being able to keep some distance between you and the subject. With a couple of extension tubes, I believe you can achieve even higher magnifications and get decent results hassle-free. I have yet to try this on the Q, but plan on trying it on Friday (that's when Pentax's latest goodies will be arriving to us for review!).
Great! I heard about extension tubes and I would really like to try one with my Nikkor 200mm. I get decent results with wildlife photography and also lunar photography. I look forward to your review in the upcoming weeks.
12-20-2012, 12:03 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarinatedHerring Quote
Hi MH,

Adapted lenses keep their specs on a Q regardless of the mount (as long as you're using the correct adapter). The only difference is that you're cropping to a sensor that's about 1/13 the size of APS-C. If you 50 Macro is a 1:1 lens (projects the subject on the sensor at the same size as the subject is in real life), then it's also a 1:1 lens on the Q at the same Minimum Focusing Distance, but the image will appear about 3.8x larger because it's cropped to the Q's sensor size. On the APS-C, 23.7mm fills the frame horizontally, and on the Q, 6.2mm fills the frame horizontally. It's the same magnification, just cropped and with enough MP in the smaller area to give you similar overall resolution.

Think of it this way -- you have the same lens, and it's being shot at the same register distance (distance from the rear lens element to the sensor plane) because of the extra space taken up by the adapter. Nothing in the lens changes, but with the Q, you're just getting your image from the central 1/13 of what your APS-C DSLR would have captured. Every characteristic of the lens remains the same -- magnification, f stop (exposure), DOF, resolution, color rendition, and so on -- you're just using a much smaller section of the projected image.

Scott

12-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #9

There are other options to dedicated macro lenses.

I don't think anyone is doing extension tubes for the Q connector yet?

You can get "Close-up filters" or "Close-up lenses" that will attach to the filter thread of your lens. I've just taken a look and there are a few on eBay in the 40.5mm size of the main Q lenses. I've never tried them; I imagine the quality isn't great but if you just want to try out some macro work without a big investment they're probably worth a go.
12-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

While cruising around looking at the different adapters for the Q, I came across a reversing ring. Says it will work with the Q lenses reversed for macro work - kind of interesting.....

Amazon.com: Gino Camera Macro Lens Alloy Reverse Mount Adapter for Pentax PK Q: Cell Phones & Accessories
12-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
While cruising around looking at the different adapters for the Q, I came across a reversing ring. Says it will work with the Q lenses reversed for macro work - kind of interesting.....

Amazon.com: Gino Camera Macro Lens Alloy Reverse Mount Adapter for Pentax PK Q: Cell Phones & Accessories

Interesting. Doesn't state the size of lense that can be screwed on it. Is this for K mount lenses?
12-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SonDa5 Quote
Interesting. Doesn't state the size of lense that can be screwed on it. Is this for K mount lenses?
Yeah, the description is quite lacking. From how I read it, it would be used with native Q lenses. But, it doesn't say if for the prime 01 or 02/06 zoom.

Quote from the description:

QuoteQuote:
Simply screw the camera adapter on the bayonet of your camera's body, and then screw lens reversely on it.
12-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Reverse adapter is cool, but it won't work with Q premium lenses. Don't see any way to open the leaf shutter built into the lens.
thanks
barondla
12-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Reverse adapter is cool, but it won't work with Q premium lenses. Don't see any way to open the leaf shutter built into the lens.
thanks
barondla
Good point!
12-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Just take it off while the shutter is open. (That is, without turning the camera off.)