Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by chriscdg Quote
Thanks for the info, everyone.

I'm not looking for paper-thin bokeh (I don't have the budget for any f/1.2 lenses, haha) and I'm fine with having a distant backdrop. Here are some examples of what I'm looking for, some of which are using the prime lens, but all I think were taken with the Q:

Photo Bourse | Vevey 2012 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Eli Q C-mount-2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (Neil, this is with a cctv lens like you were mentioning)
Mr. Moses | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMGP6673 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMGP0398-Edit | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMGP1796-1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Caramel / Pentax Q | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sorry for so many examples, but probably easier than me describing it. Maybe it's just a balancing act of getting close enough to the subject and having a distant background. I'm more interested in headshot portraits than anything else.

I've tried the BC a few times, but haven't seen any real difference with it. I'm not sure if I need to make sure there's adequate distance behind the object or person, of if I need to be closer, or what. I saw a review that showed nice effects at level 1 and 2. It takes a 4-6 seconds to process for each photo from what I've tried.
Hello Chris,
I'm the author for this photo mentioned by you : Photo Bourse | Vevey 2012 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
This photo was taken with an old objective (Rikenon 28mm x 5.5 for the Q) fixed on my Pentax Q with an adapter. No autofocus possible, but manual control.
This combinaison explain the bokeh.
Best regards.

12-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh and for anyone interested, I read that Pentax is planning on selling the prime lens separately in February 2013. Not sure how much it'll cost though.
I'm interested! Kinda surprised they waited this long.
12-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh and for anyone interested, I read that Pentax is planning on selling the prime lens separately in February 2013. Not sure how much it'll cost though.
I'd like to see where you read this.
12-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The 06 lens will get you pretty good out-of-focus backgrounds at the long end. I've used it for some portrait shots and been happy with them. It's no 85mm f1.4 but the in-focus subject does pop and it is going to be one of the smallest (most portable) options. It's worth the price in my opinion.

12-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #20

Original Poster
Lyonelk, I appreciate you letting me know! That makes me more excited to get the adapter. I'm also thinking about renting a few different Pentax lenses to try them out (different focal lengths), see what I like on the Q.

As for the prime lens, I read it here: Pentax Q10 Review & Rating | PCMag.com
That lens is currently unavailable for purchase on its own, but Pentax expects to start selling it as a standalone optic next February.

Sunny, thanks for your input. Do you happen to have any photos online that you've taken with that lens?
12-27-2012, 02:09 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Sunny, thanks for your input. Do you happen to have any photos online that you've taken with that lens?
Hey, I just posted two shots to the "Share your Photos" post. Here's the link: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/172196-lets-share-shots-q-80.html#post2218127

Both are shot at the long end of the zoom (around 250mm equivalent.) Both are wide open (f2.8 on that lens.)

As you probably know, the wide end of this lens is is the long end of the 02 zoom, but you get f2.8 instead of f4.5. However, this is offset a bit by the not-so-close focusing distance (I think around three feet, give or take a bit.) You can still get some out-of-focus backgrounds on the wide end of the 06, but you'll need to be closer to the subject.

Best of luck on finding something that works for you!

Last edited by sunny16; 12-27-2012 at 02:19 AM.