Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just got my Pentax Q... have questions!

So, I saw a long time ago, there was a way for the camera to automatically "fake" a smaller depth of field. I can't seem to find that in my camera settings anywhere.

The focusing ring is live all the time? It's not a quick shift is it? It seems to not be directly connected to anything... is it focusing by wire? That's rather.... lame.

Is there a way to manually open the shutter/aperture in the 02 lens (or any lens) such that one can look through it to inspect for dust?

It's really not as small as I thought it would be, especially with the 02 zoom attached. Ah well. I bought it for super telephoto and for super portability... might have to snag that 01 lens to manage the latter.

Charles

12-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
So, I saw a long time ago, there was a way for the camera to automatically "fake" a smaller depth of field. I can't seem to find that in my camera settings anywhere.
The focusing ring is live all the time? It's not a quick shift is it? It seems to not be directly connected to anything... is it focusing by wire? That's rather.... lame.
Is there a way to manually open the shutter/aperture in the 02 lens (or any lens) such that one can look through it to inspect for dust?
It is called Blur Control and activates via the top dial. Look for the topic in the manual.

Focusing is live with the 02 and is by wire. You can set the system to switch to a 2x or 4x view when you move it.
12-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
you bought one too ? how come they could make a beautiful viewfinder on the auto 110 which is smaller than this camera. oh well, that one didn't have sr or a lcd, ....... anyway i think it's that litle button with the 1, 2, 3..... settings that blur the shot, i could be wrong though.....
12-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ahh yes, I see that now. Okay, will play with it. Don't care about the lack of viewfinder, was just hoping to be able to pocket this thing.

Charles.

12-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Hi Charles,

I don't have much use for it -- but it's the "BC" Bokeh Control setting on the Mode dial.

The focus ring is live all the time -- and it's focus by wire, which is something that I don't necessarily like, but "lame" might be a bit strong. One note though -- there is a menu setting that allows the camera to remember the last focus position after the camera is turned off, so you can choose a distance and keep it -- This has its uses.

The aperture/shutter is open all the time the camera is turned on -- It's a MILC. The opening is so small that you won't be able to inspect the sensor for dust though -- and this is true even with the 06 zoom and 01 prime.

Congrats on getting a Q!

Ooops -- too many are too fast on this forum. . .

Scott
12-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Yes, just turn the camera on and then take the lens off.

Not that I think you have any reason to worry about dust, even in a tiny lens like this it's unlikely it will get dusty enough to matter.
12-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
how come they could make a beautiful viewfinder on the auto 110 which is smaller than this camera
Hi dh4412,

The Auto 110 was an SLR with film that was @ 13 x17mm -- essentially the same as 4/3.. Since they made 4/3 DSLRs, this is obviously large enough with minor magnification to make an optical VF work. The Q's sensor is @ 6.2 x 4.6 mm, and if they could make a DSLR with this sensor -- the VF would be way too small without very significant magnification to be viewable. Film cameras were essentially an empty box with a film drive mechanism and a shutter. Digital cameras -- and especially the Q -- are filled with circuit boards, battery, and memory card

That being said -- they could make an optional EVF that mounted via the hotshoe -- if it was fast, and high resolution, then that would be a very nice upgrade for future Q system models -- I doubt that you'd find anyone that would disagree.

Scott
12-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #8

snostorm, (especially appropriate nom de plume for you today ? ) yes, understand about why ' they ' , i guess , can't make nice oldstyle viewfinders on the new cameras, with split screens right out of the box, even, i better give up on that i guess but you are right a nice evf would go .
and also, not sure why they didn't make this q just a little bigger. or if not, why not just a mirrorless camera just the same, but with a fixed excellent lens ?

12-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nonono, I want to look through the lens when it is not attached to the camera to look for dust. Like this: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Pentax-SMC-Takumar-50-mm-f-1-4-Lens-/00/s/NTc1WDEwMjQ=/$T2eC16ZHJHgE9n0yG-8+BQygttRYWw~~60_57.JPG

There doesn't appear to be a way to do that right now. Which isn't a big deal at the moment, but what about 5 or 10 years down the road? How would one inspect for dust or fungus?

Charles.
12-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Hi Charles,

Chill. . . Set the camera to "bulb", press and hold the shutter, and take the lens off the camera while it's still exposing. The shutter stays in the open position.

Scott
12-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not unchill. In fact, I'm drinking at the moment!

Charles.
12-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Set the camera to "bulb", press and hold the shutter, and take the lens off the camera while it's still exposing. The shutter stays in the open position.
Or to make it easier on the fingers, don't press the shutter, the lens is just as open when not exposing. (As I said a few posts up.)