Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #1

What makes the Q so much fun?

Recently picked up a k01. Great cam. I treat it like it takes film and we get along swimmingly. Having such a good time with it I've started to look at the rest of what pentax has on offer.

With prices so low on the Q, I think I might be missing something if I don't pick one up. One of the most frequent adjectives I see describing the Q is fun. This isn't supposed to be so. It has a tiny sensor, half the lenses are "toys", af is slow...all those things sound like no fun...and yet...

So what gives? What makes the Q fun for you? And what does it offer that you're not getting from your "bigger" camera? I mean, come on, isn't it just a big cellphone with switchy lenses?

12-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Amaroq Quote
So what gives? What makes the Q fun for you? And what does it offer that you're not getting from your "bigger" camera? I mean, come on, isn't it just a big cellphone with switchy lenses?
I think it's tiny size, tremendous build quality, versatility with native and adapted lenses and better IQ than expected all contribute to it's fun factor for me.

It makes you want to try new approaches to photography and challenges you to experiment to see just how far you can take it.
12-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm one of those who bought the Q for its macro and ultra-tele possibilities, but immediately fell in love with it for its own sake. I think part of it is that the Q gives you permission (as it were) to take a more casual and fun approach than you might with the full DSLR kit, while at the same time gives you just enough Real Photography Power to be a lot more satisfying than a cell phone or P&S. Another part is just how cute the thing is, which sounds silly to say, but these things are tiny marvels of craft and engineering, and it is just plain fun to use such beautifully-made little tools, and to bring it along in situations where you wouldn't think of carrying the big camera.
12-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #4

All I know is that I would never take a bigger camera to both a party in a crowded club and also use it to shoot wildlife photography. The Q is versatile at the cost of quality (relative to a "bigger" camera). All I know is that I mastered my boring old point and shoot and it was just a boring little device to use. I have been experimenting about just as much as I did with my older point and shoot and have been getting way better results. The only additional gear I got for my Q was a $20 adapter which lets me use 50 year old nikkor lenses on it.

It truly is a fun camera.

12-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
Riv

Photos: Albums
I'd give a +1 to all three of your replies so far. It does free your mind to experiment more. I still find myself nitpicking the K5 results where I don't so much with the Q. Why? Not sure, I guess I just expect less from the Q, or maybe too much from the K5. It's nice getting double duty from my glass investments. The DA*300mm + 2X converter on the Q may give less than steller results, but it makes a great spy glass when binoculars don't have the reach.
12-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Riv Quote
I'd give a +1 to all three of your replies so far. It does free your mind to experiment more. I still find myself nitpicking the K5 results where I don't so much with the Q. Why? Not sure, I guess I just expect less from the Q, or maybe too much from the K5. It's nice getting double duty from my glass investments. The DA*300mm + 2X converter on the Q may give less than steller results, but it makes a great spy glass when binoculars don't have the reach.
I only have the Q since last Monday and I love it to bits. Despite the spec sheet it really does feel like a mini DSLR and not at all like a compact. I have had quite a few digital compacts and I pretty much hated everyone one of them including the Samsung EX1 which was probably the best of the lot. The Q on the other hand has a soul and I bonded with it straight away. I put it this way, the Q reminds me of Katie Taylor the Olympic Champion boxer. She is small and pretty but if you underestimate her she will knock your block off! The digital filters are not a gimmick but produce stunning results. Most of the time (for my taste) jpegs straight out of camera do not need post processing. I got it for less than 300 bucks and the 01 lens is a killer. I love that focal distance and the wide aperture is a joy. Heck if you use it wisely you can even get some bokeh (see below). I am coming around to the personal belief that no camera should ever be bigger than this ever again!!!! And yes, as people say it is 'fun' and it is very difficult to explain why. It's like your girlfriend is fun and you don't know why either!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
12-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #7

Original Poster
Great insight in this thread! Balanced, objective opinions rather than bleary eyed fan-person-ism. Great forum and a great change from dpreview. Thanks to all posters. It seems like the q, while not offering the utmost in iq offers instead a sense of liberation, lightness and freedom to explore less than "serious" avenues that one wouldn't be likely to pursue with their serious cam. All in a tiny, but functional and flexible package. That does seem fun

12-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Amaroq Quote
Great insight in this thread! Balanced, objective opinions rather than bleary eyed fan-person-ism. Great forum and a great change from dpreview. Thanks to all posters. It seems like the q, while not offering the utmost in iq offers instead a sense of liberation, lightness and freedom to explore less than "serious" avenues that one wouldn't be likely to pursue with their serious cam. All in a tiny, but functional and flexible package. That does seem fun
You've summarized the opinions here quite well. It is something that is hard to put into words sometimes.
12-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a K-01 and have been loving it, and with the $246 price on the Q I just could not pass it up either.

I've only owned it for a few days, and my thoughts are still mixed. In good light, with ISO under 400, it takes some great photos.
The super-telephoto and super-macro abilities with adapted lenses are amazing. I'm having a lot of fun using an equivalent 280mm f1.7 telephoto lens, and a 560mm f3.5 macro/telephoto lens. The first moon shots I made with my DA55-300 and my 500mm mirror lenses were better than any I've taken so far with any other camera. The level of detail and sharpness was much higher straight out of the Q, than and APSC- cropped and processed photo I've taken yet. But, adapted lenses aren't the way you'll be using the Q normally.

The 02 zoom lens is a useful range, and while it's fast for a zoom, with the limited ISO available it ends up being very slow in practice. The 02 zoom is also large enough that it makes it a little awkward to pocket the camera. The biggest fault of the camera though, is that when ISO starts to creep up and light falls off... I'm thoroughly unimpressed with the IQ above ISO 400. The images are noisy and grainy and just not good.

HOWEVER, this aside I take the Q everywhere. It's always with me. It's easy to use, with the exception of the Play and delete buttons being reversed from my K-01. (maddening, that). Otherwise, it behaves pretty much exactly like my Q. The little dial on the front is a WONDERFUL addition, and easily overcomes the misplaced Play/Delete buttons. (I wish my K01 had that dial).

I haven't had the Q for very long -- the jury is still out for me. But I am warming up to it. When people say it's fun to use... it really is. Even if the IQ just isn't there... I still really enjoy using this camera. And the price is amazing for what you get.

Charles.