Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi, Heinrich. Those volleyball shots look pretty darn impressive!

12-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another aspect to think about to maybe help with your decision.

Most vendors offer a 30 day return. While I am not one to take advantage of this, there have been times that I've bought a new lens or other equipment and it was simply not what I wanted in terms of build quality or performance. I live in the boonies and there is no way for me to try any of this stuff out at a store or even be able to hold it in my hands.

If you were thinking about the ShopNBC deal, I just looked at their return policy - they have the same as most vendors right now in that if you buy anything between September and Christmas, you have until Jan 31st to return it for a exchange or refund. Without the holiday, their return policy is 30 days with the same terms.

Again I am not trying to promote the behavior of buying equipment and returning it you just because you don't like it, but in this case it might be the way to go. You would have the Q to try for a few days while comparing it to your DS. Easy decision from there.

I was unsure just like you are about buying a Q. I held off for quite a while before finally pulling the trigger. When I did finally buy, I bought it from Newegg when they had the good price and was sure they had the above mentioned return policy. But in the end - guess what - of course I kept the Q and love it!
12-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
If you were thinking about the ShopNBC deal, I just looked at their return policy - they have the same as most vendors right now in that if you buy anything between September and Christmas, you have until Jan 31st to return it for a exchange or refund. Without the holiday, their return policy is 30 days with the same terms.
Yeah, I was wondering about that return policy thing. It was the ShopNBC deal I was looking at.

I also tried a little experiment: Since different cameras render color & contrast differently, I took a 100% test shot from the DC Resource website for both the Q and the K100D (they didn't have one for the *ist DS, but it's virtually the same camera.) and ran Photoshop's auto color correct over both to more or less match them up color-wise, then I resampled the 12MP shot of the Q to the same size of the 6MP shot from the K100D & compared. They're pretty close, IMO. Here are the shots at 100%:

From the Q

From the K100D

I may just go ahead & jump on it while the deal is still up. With the money back policy, I guess I don't have much to lose.
12-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just ordered one. Can't wait to give it a go! :-)

12-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
That's great! That NBC deal has been going for over a month now and was sure it would be done by now - glad you got one when they are still available. Quite a deal compared to the original list price!

And wanted to say I've been through the exact same thing as you've been going through with this decision. I research everything to death - to the point I make a full circle and second guess myself for thinking about buying something in the first place. I don't have much money to spare, but what I do goes to my photo hobby. I need to make sure that I am getting the best bang for my buck and that it is something that I will really use and be happy with. This all has even come to some sleepless nights since I can't get my mind off of it.

I went through the same thing with image sampling when I bought my Fuji camera. Image Resource was nice as they usually have some jpegs and even some raws that you can download and run through your own software.

With the Q I didn't really go throughout the image comparison all too much as there is such an active group here that posts lost of pics. My biggest concern was the small sensor performance just like you. I shoot mainly raw with my K-5, but so far have been shooting my Q in raw+ to experiment with both in my software. I found that some of my software will not work with the Q dng images, but have a couple that will. In the end so far, I am impressed with what the Q can do and what I can do with the images - just have to go in realizing that there are some limitations and try to shoot in decent light and not to go too high with the ISO.

I hope you enjoy it - do let us know when you get it and have tried it out. As you have probably read here on the forum, most everyone is very pleased with the camera.
12-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #21
Riv

Great! Now I can stop trying to make this comparison for ya for two Vastly different cameras I'm not much of a pixel peeper, check at/or near 100% when checking focus and sharpening only. So coming up with two exactly the same images was turning into more work than I first thought it would.

I don't think you'll be disappointed as long as you are not a habitual pixel peeper and remember it's not a replacement for the DS but a highly portable supplement for the K-X's. Though in the process of trying to get something for ya, the Q held up better to the DS than my memory of the DS lead me to believe. Color rendition (except for reds), white balance accuracy, exposure accuracy the Q was beating up the DS pretty good. Of course I wasn't shooting through the same glass which could have played a factor to some extent. Both were in there default Bright mode, which to me that mode runs a bit hot in reds, the DS did a better job there.

Enjoy it when you get! Even though I tried to give you what to expect size wise. Your going to be blown away when you first handle it.
12-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I've been really impressed with how well chroma noise is controlled by the Q. It easily outperforms the DS (and the 20D/k7 sensor too) in that regard. The biggest difference to me is the reduction in micro-details, which is a result of the small sensor. It helps to play with the sharpness/contrast settings to your liking (esp. with any lens other than the 01 prime - its the best one of the bunch). Imho at best you can get about 80% IQ of apsc at base iso. Once you go over 400 to 800 it may drop to 50-60%. Strangely at iso 1600 and up, the Q output isn't much different than even from the excellent k5/k-01/k30 sensor at very high iso. Certainly way better than what you'd get out of the DS!
12-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Riv Quote
Great! Now I can stop trying to make this comparison for ya for two Vastly different cameras.
LOL. Thanks much for giving it a go, though. I think I've decided just to keep the ist DS as well. (That'll make 4 cameras.) I need it like I need another hole in the head, but whatcha gonna do? :-P

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
Imho at best you can get about 80% IQ of apsc at base iso. Once you go over 400 to 800 it may drop to 50-60%.
Really, that should be good enough. I usually shoot from 200-400 anyway to keep as much detail as possible. I never go over 800 on the ist DS & rarely go over 1600 on the K-x.

Thanks to you guys for your valuable input. I've wanted one of these little buggers ever since they came out & now I'm jazzed to be getting one. :-)

12-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
(That'll make 4 cameras.) You aren't in the danger zone yet! would have added 3 cameras this year if my white Q/02 would have shown up. It will be here early next year.
Bought the DS as my first DSLR. Still have it. Does things my other Pentax don't.

1. It is more sensitive to IR than most cameras. Great for B&W.
2. Uses old fashioned film ttl flash instead of P-ttl.
3. Has a different look with the ccd sensor vs cmos. I keep the K10D for the same reason.

You will love the Q! It will help get images that would be nearly impossible with your other cameras. Use it a week and you are hooked. Micro size packages will arrive at your door. Every thing including lenses, adapters, red dot scopes, parts from security cameras, and batteries ( lots of batteries). Then you will know a Q has moved in to stay.
thanks
barondla
The Q is FUN.