Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Jonesing for a Q - Need some advice before I pull the trigger.

Hey all.

I'm really wanting a Q to explore the super-tele possibilities with my longer K-mount lenses, and I'm thinking of selling my *ist DS (my current "grab & go" camera) & a spare superzoom to fund the purchase. I already have 2 other DSLRs (both K-x) as my main cameras. Here's the question:

Will the Q zoom kit be a good replacement for the *ist DS as a "grab & go"? Can I expect as good IQ from the Q as the *ist DS?

If I'm getting a Q, I want to do it now before the good deals on the zoom kit are gone.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

12-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Q will work well for super tele shots, but I honestly can't recommend the Q as a walkaround camera. The AF is slow and there's shutter lag- making it seem much slower than even the *ist DS overall. The IQ should be comparable at the lowest ISO, but after ISO 400 or so the Q really starts losing detail because of the small size of its sensor.

The Q will likely get you much better IQ than your phone, though, so if you're going somewhere where you can't bring a DSLR, then it'll come in handy. As for super tele shots, they pretty much require a tripod, which means you'll want to get the Pentax adapter and the corresponding tripod mount.

I have the Q and the Pentax adapter at the moment and will be posting a hands-on video later today, hopefully.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Riv

As to grab-n-go, I'd say yes seeing you have 2 K-x's. You'll gain a huge advantage size/weight wise (when using the native lenses). IQ wise, I'm leaning towards no. I have a DS on loan to my sister, but there were times I liked the images better from the DS than I did the K7 mainly at the lowest ISO's. You mentioned super-tele, in that case you'll likely get better with the Q vs cropping the DS files. Part of the problem compairing the 2 is they are different sensor types let alone sizes.

I've had my Q for about 2 months and the K5 for about 7 months, my shot count on the Q is double the K5 if that's an indication of anything. Mainly because the Q can go anywhere with me, and much less burden to carry around so I take the Q more often even when I could have taken the K5 kit. My biggest complaint about the Q would be battery life, not IQ.
12-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Riv Quote
My biggest complaint about the Q would be battery life, not IQ.
So how many shots do you typically get on a charge? (I could always pick up a couple of spares to have charged at the ready...)

Just subjectively speaking, how much worse than the *ist DS are we talking, IQ-wise?

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The AF is slow and there's shutter lag- making it seem much slower than even the *ist DS overall.
I wouldn't be doing much action stuff with it. Mainly photos of static or nearly static subjects.

12-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I wouldn't be doing much action stuff with it. Mainly photos of static or nearly static subjects.
I had a hard time getting pics of my girlfriend in the kitchen You basically need to be in MF if you want to capture the right moment!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I had a hard time getting pics of my girlfriend in the kitchen You basically need to be in MF if you want to capture the right moment!
Personally, I find the AF to be decent in all but very dark conditions. In good light, it's pretty quick. But there is a bit of shutter lag as Adam mentioned so getting timing right for candids is more difficult.

Here's a link to a set going from daylight to dark... this set will also give you an idea about what happens to the image quality at high ISO.
Harvest Pot Luck 2012 - a set on Flickr

The focus peaking in the latest firmware update helps focus a lot. Also it added SR when you are using lenses via adaptor - and it works quite well and I don't even own the Pentax adapter.
Here's a shot handheld using a 100 macro

Image quality wise to a DSLR sensor... I don't think I'd go that far. The quality is good and better than say my point and shoot enthusiast type camera (panasonic lx-3).
12-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Riv

So how many shots do you typically get on a charge? (I could always pick up a couple of spares to have charged at the ready...)

Just subjectively speaking, how much worse than the *ist DS are we talking, IQ-wise?

Battery life has to many factors to give a solid number, most say around 200 shots. Here's a thread I started a bit back about it gives results of testing time wise vs shot wise.

Seeing you have the DS and not the Q, and I have access to both. Here's the Q vs DS with simular lenses fully extended DA50-200mm vs Q 06.

Last edited by Riv; 12-22-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Updated image
12-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Seeing you have the DS and not the Q, and I have access to both. Here's the Q vs DS with simular lenses fully extended DA50-200mm vs Q 06.
Petite little bugger, ain't it? I appreciate the pics! 200 shots on a charge isn't horrible. I can just pick up some spare batteries.

I don't suppose you've happened to shoot the same thing with both cameras with the same setting for a comparison, have you? (I do that sort of thing for reference when checking out photo gear.)
12-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
Riv

Sorry, I avoided this on purpose as it's been a while since I shot the DS. I going to try to get you a shot from both, might take a little bit her battery in the DS is dead.
12-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I going to try to get you a shot from both, might take a little bit her battery in the DS is dead.
Hey Riv. I appreciate that immensely! As it is, I get great results from my DS & of course, the K-x's. I just don't want to regret my purchase, if I buy the Q. A couple of comparative shots at 100% would be a huge help! :-)
12-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hey Riv. I appreciate that immensely! As it is, I get great results from my DS & of course, the K-x's. I just don't want to regret my purchase, if I buy the Q. A couple of comparative shots at 100% would be a huge help! :-)
If you are going to compare shots of an APS-C sensor camera to a 1/2.3", especially at 100%, you will not be happy. That is not what the Q is about at all.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:15 AM.
12-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
If you are going to compare shots of an APS-C sensor camera to a 1/2.3", especially at 100%, you will not be happy. That is not what the Q is about at all.
I get what you're saying. But a graphic showing the size of the sensors doesn't tell me as much as looking at the finished photos will. Besides, you're talking about a fairly new 12MP 1/2.3 sensor vs. a several year old 6MP APS-C sensor. Sensors might have improved enough to kind of bridge the gap some. Or not. I dunno... That's why the pics will be helpful.
12-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

When I first got my Q I did a test of a common image using my Kr, Canon S100 and my Q see link below. The Kr shares a sensor with your Kx

Hans

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/204952-how-does-q-compare-my-other-cameras.html
12-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Have a look here:https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/204193-took-wifes-q-volley-ball-tournament.html

Might not be ideal, I do prefer my K5 for it, but it is doable. I did use manual focus for these.
12-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
When I first got my Q I did a test of a common image using my Kr, Canon S100 and my Q
Helpful link. Thanks much... I expected the K-x (K-r) to trounce the Q. The difference between the Q & the *ist DS should hypothetically at least, be less drastic. I found a nice Q image gallery here with full size images, and comparing some of the test images of exactly the same subjects between the Q & the K100D at dcresource, the IQ of the Q is somewhat less than the K100D, but I think some post processing could lessen the gap.

From what I've seen so far, the IQ on the Q is surprising, considering the sensor size.