Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-mount adapter hands-on and how-to video

Did a quick video showing how to use the adapter, will be posting some samples from a tripod later. Hand-held the setup is more or less useless

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-23-2012, 04:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh, I have missed the tripod thing with the adapter. I guess my DA*300 one would fit it when I get the OEM adapter?
12-23-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I guess my DA*300 one would fit it when I get the OEM adapter?
The DA* 300 foot will fit, and it's a bit shorter than the one from the 60-250, so it will be somewhat less obtrusive.

Scott
12-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Quite surprised you even got a Q Adam. I was under the impression you had written it off right from the start. Consequently I wonder why not farm this out or at least get an assist from one of the forum members who've had the Q for a while. I seem to recall people using various adapted lenses with the third party units, handheld even, with some success.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Did a quick video showing how to use the adapter, will be posting some samples from a tripod later. Hand-held the setup is more or less useless

How to use K-mount lenses of the Pentax Q - YouTube

12-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the video you say that using the electronic shutter will make pictures come out terrible, but the three toy lenses use the electronic shutter as does everyone with a non Pentax adapter and the pictures are not terrible.
In fact some are very good.

And the statement about it being useless in handheld is just plain wrong.
What gives?
12-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
If you don't install the firmware upgrade, the leaf shutter in the adapter won't open up, and it'll introduce quite a bit of vignetting. Hence bad IQ from the electronic shutter.

And let's not kid ourselves with the adapter; if you're determined to use it hand-held, you will certainly be able to get good photos, but it's clear that that's not what it was designed for. W/ the adapter your Q setup is nowhere near as stable as a DSLR or the Q with a Q lens hand-held.

I've got the Q with me right now to shoot some canyon pics, looking forward to some good results with a 200mm!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Here's an experienced user's review.

12-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"If you don't install the firmware upgrade, the leaf shutter in the adapter won't open up, and it'll introduce quite a bit of vignetting. Hence bad IQ from the electronic shutter."

The instructions specify that the firmware MUST be updated for the adapter to work.
I don't believe the electronic shutter is to blame for someone ignoring instructions.
12-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #9

The amount of "play" or looseness of the adapter is somewhat troubling given the cost. Have others found this much play?
12-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my copy the adapter can be rotated a microscopic amount past the click point.
It doesn't affect operation.
The Fotodiox I owned previously had more pronounced play but there were no electronic contacts to worry about.
12-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The amount of "play" or looseness of the adapter is somewhat troubling given the cost. Have others found this much play?
I have premium K mount lenses that show more rotational "play" than the Pentax K to Q adapter. This is really just a matter of how wide the lens lock catch notch is machined into the lens-side mounting plate which doesn't effect anything photographically since the lens bayonet is already cammed to a form a tight tolerance to the camera-side mount plate. If the adapter was wobbly in any other direction than rotationally, this would be a problem as it would allow the lens elements to become non parallel to the film plane.

This is just nit picking with no technical reasoning behind it, IMO.

Scott
12-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
More play than I would expect from a Pentax product.